English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 August 2013, 01:51   #1
Gribnitz

Error formatting SANDISK CF Card

I bought the 4 GB SANDISK after reading several articles about them being good for Amiga storage. I did a Kingston CF already and was working on this SANDISK brand card for switching back and forth. This SD card lets me do the partitioning, but when I get to "Save Changes", I get a

"Generic Storage Device 0566 0000000000566
Block zero write attempt, but drive has one or mounted PC partitions or WinUAE does not have Administrator privileges. Erase the drive or unmount all PC partitions first"

I am running WinUAE in adminstrator, so I know it isn't that. I reformatted the CF card in windows to check for bad blocks and got none, so not sure what the problem is. Anyone ever have this and figure out what to do?
Old 29 August 2013, 02:41   #2
vitux
Banned

From the win, formatted in FAT.
Do you have any usb vaccine type soft running? if so, disable it or uninstall it.
Finally, if nothing works, if you have a real Amiga, I would initiate the CF from the HDToolBox with the default partition, then WinUAE recognizes it without problems.
Old 29 August 2013, 03:23   #3
Gribnitz

Perfect! Thank you. Formatting on the actual Amiga seems to be working fine. I guess I should be able to move the CF back and forth between PC and Amiga now?
Old 29 August 2013, 07:05   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Message means Windows rejected write attempts to drive's first block (where hdtoolbox writes first RDB block), most likely because CF still had PC partition table or single FAT partition. It needs to be completely erased or overwritten, for example using diskpart or partitioning on real Amiga overwrites it.
Old 30 August 2013, 13:06   #5
vitux
Banned

Toni: did not recall the diskpart.
If you do not have the operating Amiga or loft, this command or handy little program for comfort. :-)

Gribnitz: Sure, you can exchange the Amiga-emu, emu-Amiga.
Old 30 August 2013, 18:39   #6
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi have a look at my guides