English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 June 2015, 22:48   #1
Treguard

Anti static wristband really necessary?

I was just wondering if Amigas are more susceptible or at risk of damage from static compared with PCs?

Tbh, I've only ever touched a radiator to ground myself when opening my PC up, but I wasn't sure if I had to be much more careful with the Amiga?

Cheers!
Old 29 June 2015, 00:24   #2
pandy71

Never used ESD wristband but it doesn't meant that i not recommend to use it whenever it is required and possible.
Side o this you can reduce amount of ES - use fabric softener - cheapest is sufficient, mix with water 1:4 (so 25% solution) use atomizer (spray) and spray well area where you work - such solution should reduce amount of ES to safe level, same approach for clothes - always use fabric softener, avoid synthetics materials (cotton with softener will be OK)
Old 29 June 2015, 14:55   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

If I am dealing with ESD sensitive stuff at home (like 6581 SID chips), apart from a wristband, I will put a sheet of aluminium foil underneath the PCB that I am working with, connected to the same potential of the wristband (also connected to the ground plane of the PCB).
I will always avoid touching the individual pins of the IC if possible and move it straight to some conductive anti-ESD foam where it will be relatively safe until it needs to be installed again.

For storage, I will use conductive foam inside an ESD bag.
Not using wristbands may work out fine 95% of the time, but it is those last 5% that will make you wish you always used it..
When you buy pliers, side cutters etc., look for the ESD variant. They are usually not that expensive if you find the right place. I got got some cheap ones from Biltema. They only exist in Scandinavia, but you probably have something similar in UK.
Old 29 June 2015, 17:55   #4
Treguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Never used ESD wristband but it doesn't meant that i not recommend to use it whenever it is required and possible.
Side o this you can reduce amount of ES - use fabric softener - cheapest is sufficient, mix with water 1:4 (so 25% solution) use atomizer (spray) and spray well area where you work - such solution should reduce amount of ES to safe level, same approach for clothes - always use fabric softener, avoid synthetics materials (cotton with softener will be OK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If I am dealing with ESD sensitive stuff at home (like 6581 SID chips), apart from a wristband, I will put a sheet of aluminium foil underneath the PCB that I am working with, connected to the same potential of the wristband (also connected to the ground plane of the PCB).
I will always avoid touching the individual pins of the IC if possible and move it straight to some conductive anti-ESD foam where it will be relatively safe until it needs to be installed again.

For storage, I will use conductive foam inside an ESD bag.
Not using wristbands may work out fine 95% of the time, but it is those last 5% that will make you wish you always used it..
When you buy pliers, side cutters etc., look for the ESD variant. They are usually not that expensive if you find the right place. I got got some cheap ones from Biltema. They only exist in Scandinavia, but you probably have something similar in UK.
Crikey, I didn't realise. Well I can't complain, as I suppose I've gotten away all these years without having to use one on my PCs.

You're right, it's chancing it so not worth risking!

Thanks for the replies!
Old 29 June 2015, 18:27   #5
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treguard View Post
Crikey, I didn't realise. Well I can't complain, as I suppose I've gotten away all these years without having to use one on my PCs.

You're right, it's chancing it so not worth risking!

Thanks for the replies!
Don't panic too much, I think the generally high humidity in the UK means its not as large a problem, though a heated house will have lower humidity.

Still worth being careful