English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 20 September 2007, 15:46   #1
frikilokooo

Change partitions

I have installed ClassicWB in my a1200 and I have 3 partitions altogether.The partitions have the same amount of megabytes,one of them is ClassicWB system.My HD is of 4 GB.I want to have a ClassicWB system partition and another one more for the KG WHDLoad games.what steps have I make to clear the partition that exceeds to me and to leave only two?
Is it necessary format all HD and reinstall ClassicWB?
Thank you!
Old 20 September 2007, 16:02   #2
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
I have installed ClassicWB in my a1200 and I have 3 partitions altogether.The partitions have the same amount of megabytes,one of them is ClassicWB system.My HD is of 4 GB.I want to have a ClassicWB system partition and another one more for the KG WHDLoad games.what steps have I make to clear the partition that exceeds to me and to leave only two?
Thank you!

If I understand correctly, and by ClassicWB you mean one of the various classic Workbenchs like 3.0 for example, then yes, I'm sure you will lose the existing data if you create new partitions. But you can use something like Quarterback to back-up stuff on to another hard drive (if you have one) or floppies. Then reinstalling will be a bit less of a pain.

When you do get your multiple partition hardrive running I should reguarly back up your sytem partition on to another partition and ideally on to CD or something other than the hard drive.

Hope that is some help.
Old 20 September 2007, 17:10   #3
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
If I understand correctly, and by ClassicWB you mean one of the various classic Workbenchs like 3.0 for example...
By ClassicWB, he means... ClassicWB. Look at the sub-forum this is posted in
Old 20 September 2007, 18:21   #4
pbareges

Quote:
Thank you!
delete the two partitions non related to classicwb within hdtoolbox and create a new partition covering the empty space left by your deletion.this is only possible if the 2 non classicwb partitions are contiguous..in this case you won't have to change your classicwb partition at all and all the data in it will be preserved.
Old 20 September 2007, 18:45   #5
frikilokooo

thank heavens!,that solution is infinitely perfect,many thanks pbareges!
Old 20 September 2007, 18:56   #6
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges View Post
delete the two partitions non related to classicwb within hdtoolbox and create a new partition covering the empty space left by your deletion.this is only possible if the 2 non classicwb partitions are contiguous..in this case you won't have to change your classicwb partition at all and all the data in it will be preserved.
I thought like you about contiguous partitions, but I'm sure enough that HDToolBox, before saving confirmation, give to user the alert it will delete ALL partitions. Are you sure about this? Do you need specific OS? (3.0 at least).
Old 20 September 2007, 20:14   #7
frikilokooo

I have been able to do without problems what pbareges says but what would have to do for being able to use the new partition?.I don't have drawer in the desk of the new partition and the new partition is not accessible from Opus.Do I must format the new partition and how one becomes?
Old 20 September 2007, 20:56   #8
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio View Post
I thought like you about contiguous partitions, but I'm sure enough that HDToolBox, before saving confirmation, give to user the alert it will delete ALL partitions. Are you sure about this? Do you need specific OS? (3.0 at least).
if i remember correctly i did this a few times and when you save changes to disk it only warns about changed partition....
Old 20 September 2007, 21:00   #9
pbareges

Quote:
I have been able to do without problems what pbareges says but what would have to do for being able to use the new partition?.I don't have drawer in the desk of the new partition and the new partition is not accessible from Opus.Do I must format the new partition and how one becomes?
the new partition should show something like NDOS as label under workbench screen (i dont know anything about dopus) ..that means you need to format it..just click on the workbench icon and right/click...in one of the top menus you will find the format command...choose a label and that's it..(if you want to check for errors do the regular way - ie longer -, if you don't bother go the quick way - ie quick format)

BE SURE TO FORMAT THE NDOS VOLUME AND NOT YOUR CLASSICWB VOLUME!
Old 20 September 2007, 21:12   #10
Bloodwych

Once you get the extra partitions sorted, remember with the ClassicWB you can simply go to the s/user-startup file and change the assigns to point to where you keep your games, demos, programs or whatever.

For instance, if you move your games from DH0: to DH1:, change the "A-Games:" assign from "DH0:Games" to "DH1:Games".

Then all the popupmenu links and system links will automatically be updated in order to point to the new location.
Old 20 September 2007, 21:53   #11
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges View Post
if i remember correctly i did this a few times and when you save changes to disk it only warns about changed partition....
Tested: you are right! HDToolbox (OS3.9) warns correctly about changed partitions when I'm going to save changes.
Old 21 September 2007, 00:06   #12
frikilokooo

I have not been able to format the partition because it's greater of 2GB,I have read that it's necessary install SFS for greater partitions of 2GB.Do I would have to format the other partition (system partition) if I install SFS?
Old 21 September 2007, 08:06   #13
thomas

No, only the partitions you change to SFS have to be formatted. But you would benefit if you'd change the boot partition to SFS, too. SFS is a lot faster and less prone to errors.
Old 21 September 2007, 12:37   #14
frikilokooo

I think that I'm going to use smaller partitions of 2GB,I have not been able to install SFS correctly in addition it's necessary to install more things for greater partitions of 4gb,too complicated for my!.

What I don't understand is why does not have ClassicWB system SFS instead of the system FFS that is worse?,this would make easier for the people who have big hard disks and it's faster.
Old 21 September 2007, 12:44   #15
Bloodwych

SFS is supported in the ClassicWB!

Just look in the "MyFiles/Install" folder. You can install or remove SFS support. Also look in the Expansion and L folder - all the SFS files are there!

It would be pointless using SFS on the downloadable HDFs as they would revert to whatever the user formatted there hard disk with when the files are copied over. Plus SFS is a beta file system and speed/storage space in WinUAE isn't an issue, so the HDFs remain FFS.

It's up to the user to install SFS on their hard drive - the ClassicWB can't do that for you.
Old 21 September 2007, 13:31   #16
frikilokooo

I have understood it,thank you Bloodwych!
Old 21 September 2007, 13:36   #17
Bloodwych

I hope you get your hard drive sorted anyway.

To be honest, you are correct in that there should be a guide on how to add SFS/4GB+ support to the ClassicWB, as most people use large drives these days.

Something to add to the to-do list I think.