English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 April 2020, 14:17   #1
cjard

Using WinUAE remotely - anyone have any experience?

I'd like to play a few retro games (slow stuff, like The Settlers) on the iPad. Not having found any really good UAE iPad options (it isn't jailbroken) but having plenty of PCs kicking around the house and fast WiFi I figured I'd have a go at running WinUAE on a PC and using it with Remote Desktop

There isn't any problem running WinUAE but it doesn't respond to mouse clicks/mouse events properly/well

Microsoft's RDP client on an iPad has two operating modes, one (touch mode) where you use the remote machine like a touch screen and your taps are translated to clicks at the location, and the other (pointer mode) using a mouse pointer and the whole of your iPad becomes like the touchpad of a laptop/you swipe to move the mouse and tap to click

WinUAE seems not to detect mouse clicks made over RDP in either mode, though the Amiga mouse pointer does seem to partially work with the location of the system mouse in pointer mode - the pointer can be rolled around and the Amiga's pointer moves though it moves proportionately more than the system mouse. Tapping doesn't seem to execute any kind of click, either at the system mouse pointer position or the Amiga mouse cursor position. Touch mode doesn't work well at all- it seems to suffer from some offsetting problem where the Amiga mouse pointer moves to some location relative to where one tapped but even then, doesn't perform any click

-----

I gave VNC a go, but haven't so far succeeded in getting real VNC client to connect to real VNC server on the pc. I'll try later with another brand of VNC

-----

Parallels Access looked like it was going to work out better, but did some weird things like changing the display resolution according to which app it was foregrounding (it seems not like a VNC/RDP that shares a whole desktop, instead it seems to share just an application and may change the res of the PC then full screen the app. Again, when I got to a place where I could see winuae running a game it didn't seem to respond to clicks/taps

-----

From the experience I'd say that it seems remote programs use some different method of delivering clicks than winuae wants to read..

-----

Has anyone succeeded in running a remote control session where the (local device) was able to use WinUAE? How did you manage it?
Old 21 April 2020, 11:51   #2
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

I tried but I have never managed to get VNC working reliably. I run a copy of WinUAE on a windows virtual machine in the cloud (so no actual keyboard and mouse) and connect using Remote Desktop and i have to specify -norawinput_all as a parameter in winuae to make it work correctly. I spent some time working with Toni getting this working originally and he did have to make some fixes to accomodate this but that was a couple of years ago now
Old 21 April 2020, 13:25   #3
jPV

I've been using WinUAE over RDP from a MorphOS setup with the built-in RDesktop client. It works pretty well and I haven't had any problems with the mouse clicks. So, regarding that it should work over this protocol.

Only problem is that mouse pointer under WinUAE emulation moves different speed from the Windows' mouse pointer (and thus MorphOS pointer, because Windows pointer sticks very well on the same position with MorphOS pointer), and that causes some issues. I guess it's the same you meant with mouse moving proportionately more than the system mouse. I don't know if it's because of that or why, but also when Windows mouse pointer gets close to the edges of the window, emulated mouse pointer moves wildly towards a corner of the window. So, you have to be careful with mouse movements and try to keep it as middle as possible, and many times you just have to reposition it on the screen.
Old 21 April 2020, 14:01   #4
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

I think the problems i had initially were more related to the fact that it was a machine running in the cloud so actually had no physical mouse or keyboard attached at all. Apart from that I think it worked just fine.
Old 21 April 2020, 18:20   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Enable Install virtual mouse driver in Game ports panel. But it can work only in WB (and many system friendly games).

AmigaOS does not natively support absolute pointing devices.