English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 February 2017, 22:53   #1
guibrush

Vampire CE certification

Good evening.
The Apollo Team is happy to announce you that the Vampire has passed all required test for the CE compliance with success. The Vampire is now officially CE compliant ! All details here :

http://www.majsta.com/modules.php?na...windex&catid=7

Have a nice evening !

Last edited by guibrush; 25 February 2017 at 00:46.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 February 2017, 23:52   #2
Akira

I get an error when clicking that:
"Sorry, you can't access this file directly..."

How does this change anything, really? I mean,was this only triggered by that phake5 moron bitching about it?
Old 25 February 2017, 00:46   #3
guibrush

The link didn't survived to the copy paste trick. Edited with the right link, sorry.
Old 25 February 2017, 01:37   #4
Mr.Flibble

Awesome, another one in the eye for the detractors
Old 25 February 2017, 03:06   #5
klx300r

Thumbs up

good news for a great Amiga product
Old 25 February 2017, 03:55   #6
thumptech

Pity the chances of ever purchasing one are marginally greater than nil.
Old 25 February 2017, 10:05   #7
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumptech View Post
Pity the chances of ever purchasing one are marginally greater than nil.
Helps if you order one
Old 26 February 2017, 14:31   #8
thumptech

Helps if you CAN order one. Stuck at expressed interest for months.
Old 26 February 2017, 20:58   #9
Overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumptech View Post
Helps if you CAN order one. Stuck at expressed interest for months.
I joined the Apollo IRC channel, and queried Kippa about wether or not I was in the queue. The wait is less annoying if you know your actually in line for one. I waited like 3 or so months I think from order until reciving.
Old 26 February 2017, 21:56   #10
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I get an error when clicking that:
"Sorry, you can't access this file directly..."

How does this change anything, really? I mean,was this only triggered by that phake5 moron bitching about it?
For average Joe it doesn't "change" a lot. But from a legal perspective, those who sell these products will have one thing less to worry about.

The p5 dude might have been the only one bitching about it but he had a point.
Certification is "a piece of paper", but in case of legal ramblings about compliance and certification, it's good to have that piece of paper...
For the rest of us, it does nothing ;-)
Old 26 February 2017, 23:24   #11
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
For average Joe it doesn't "change" a lot. But from a legal perspective, those who sell these products will have one thing less to worry about.

The p5 dude might have been the only one bitching about it but he had a point.
Certification is "a piece of paper", but in case of legal ramblings about compliance and certification, it's good to have that piece of paper...
For the rest of us, it does nothing ;-)
In fact, all products MUST pass these tests. FCC & CE EMC tests are now needed if you want to put something on the market, even if the market is small...
These tests cost a lot and you need to redo them each time you change something on the hardware, even a simple resistor.
Anyway, any mistake regarding these legals stuff can bring some very serious problems to the producer...
Old 26 February 2017, 23:29   #12
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by guibrush View Post
Good evening.
The Apollo Team is happy to announce you that the Vampire has passed all required test for the CE compliance with success. The Vampire is now officially CE compliant ! All details here :

http://www.majsta.com/modules.php?na...windex&catid=7

Have a nice evening !
Well done !

In fact i am surprised that an unshielded Amiga 500 can pass the tests !
Old 27 February 2017, 19:00   #13
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I understand this kind of certification is needed nowadays in products, but we're talking about a peripheral for a long defunct platform. How does it apply?

This is an honest question, I want to understand why the team has had to go through the bother of getting this sorted. It's a grassroots operation, not a commercial enterprise, as far as I see.
I mean, if you want to distribute to stores I guess it makes sense, but as said above, the machines these things will be running on are probably NOT UP TO SPEC by today's standards. So how does it work?
Old 28 February 2017, 13:27   #14
dirkies
Zone Friend

bad news for coffeeboy I guess...
Old 02 March 2017, 13:25   #15
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I understand this kind of certification is needed nowadays in products, but we're talking about a peripheral for a long defunct platform. How does it apply?

This is an honest question, I want to understand why the team has had to go through the bother of getting this sorted. It's a grassroots operation, not a commercial enterprise, as far as I see.
I mean, if you want to distribute to stores I guess it makes sense, but as said above, the machines these things will be running on are probably NOT UP TO SPEC by today's standards. So how does it work?
Because it's still a new electronic device. Whether it's stand-alone or not isn't relevant, and in fact may make having the certification even more important. Imagine you sold a Vampire to someone. They installed it on their Amiga, and the next day it catches fire and burns their house down. With CE certification, you've proven that your device is safe and thus wasn't the cause of the fire, so it's most likely the 30-year-old PSU that was the problem. Without it, it's very easy for them to say that their Amiga had worked fine for 30 years until the Vampire was attached. Since the Amiga met the regulations at the time (even if they are 30 years old), and the Vampire did not, it looks a lot like the Vampire caused the fire. So having the piece of paper is a very good thing.

Last edited by Daedalus; 02 March 2017 at 13:33.
Old 02 March 2017, 14:30   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
With CE certification, you've proven that your device is safe and thus wasn't the cause of the fire.
CE only means that you as the manufacturer claims that you comply with various regulations, but nobody checks up on it. Lots of Chinese electronics carry a CE marking without complying with anything..
Old 02 March 2017, 14:46   #17
Daedalus

Yep, and I can print a CE mark on anything too, and it won't mean a thing. That's not the point though, you have to be able to back up those claims if required, for example in a legal situation or during regular ISO recertification audits.

Yes, CE doesn't in itself prove that your device won't cause fire. But it proves that you've taken all reasonable steps to prevent that fire from occurring, and that's what's important legally because the actual use case of the device is out of your control.
Old 02 March 2017, 15:12   #18
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
CE only means that you as the manufacturer claims that you comply with various regulations, but nobody checks up on it.
This is true but in case of conflict you can be asked to produce appropriate proof of compliance, i.e. a certificate. The tests required for this have now been made (without any concrete need) and the CE sign will be used on the Vampires from now on. Kipper would not have used the sign without actually having passed the tests as he isn't exactly one of those Chinese providers planning to disappear as soon as he has sold off a batch...
Old 02 March 2017, 16:19   #19
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Kipper would not have used the sign without actually having passed the tests as he isn't exactly one of those Chinese providers planning to disappear as soon as he has sold off a batch...
Yes, that is the main problem with CE markings. They just print it on the devices as they cannot sell them in EU without it but sometimes it is close to impossible to find out who actually manufactured a specific product and is responsible for it. Either that or they just close down the company and open another one so you have noone to go for legally.

Anyway it is nice to know that the Vampire team does this the right way, eventhough it does add cost and time to the entire project. As long as they are selling finished products, there are certain regulations that needs to be followed, no matter how niche it is.

In theory they should also comply with the WEEE directive, thus have a plan for the disposal of the product at the end of its life, although most buyers of the Vampire are probably ones that like to keep hardware forever.
Old 02 March 2017, 18:44   #20
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
So having the piece of paper is a very good thing.
Thanks for the explanation!
AdSense AdSense