English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 11 August 2011, 21:02   #1
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

What's this code doing?

I'm having fun disassembling a C program (one of the RKM examples), anyway there's a bit of code that appears a few times and I don't know how to make sense of it. I guess it's pretty easy when you know, but I don't know where to look...

JSR _LVOSetSignal(A6)
MOVEA.L $114(A6),A3 <---- this bit. What's going on here?

Several times it gets AbsExecBase in A6 and then moves the value at offset $114. But what does that value represent? What include file do I need to look at?
Old 11 August 2011, 21:14   #2
Leffmann

It's part of the execbase, and is the pointer to your task. It's the value you get when you call FindTask with an argument of 0. You can find the info in the description of the execbase in execbase.h and execbase.i, and also with printed out offsets in the Structure.Offsets file in the Amiga NDK.
Old 11 August 2011, 21:24   #3
hitchhikr

It's actually ExecBase->ThisTask
Old 11 August 2011, 21:33   #4
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Thank you chaps
Old 11 August 2011, 21:35   #5
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Hmm, shouldn't you use FindTask instead of reading directly? Seems cleaner that way, or is reading this value completely safe (as in theoretical future versions keeping this the same)?
Old 11 August 2011, 22:28   #6
thor

Kickstart does exactly the same when you call FindTask(0). (Well, it does move.l $114(a6),d0).
Old 11 August 2011, 23:28   #7
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Hmm, shouldn't you use FindTask instead of reading directly? Seems cleaner that way, or is reading this value completely safe (as in theoretical future versions keeping this the same)?
That's what I thought too. I always believed it was bad practice, but this is the compiler output... Anyway, I guess that it's never going to change now!
Old 12 August 2011, 04:29   #8
Steady

If compilers are doing it there is no way the 68K version would be able to be changed as so much would break. I guess the compiler did it as an optimisation to save on the expense of going through the jumptable when it already has ExecBase to hand.

Old 12 August 2011, 09:47   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherek Carnelia View Post
That's what I thought too. I always believed it was bad practice, but this is the compiler output... Anyway, I guess that it's never going to change now!
There is absolutely nothing wrong doing it that way, it's a commented part of execbase so it can be used without any problems.
Old 12 August 2011, 19:06   #10
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong doing it that way, it's a commented part of execbase so it can be used without any problems.
Yep It says that most fields shouldn't be read or written (I thought none of the fields should be used directly), but it also says when it's fine to do so, and in this case it is
Old 12 August 2011, 21:32   #11
Leffmann

Generally it's better to ask the operating system for any value you need whenever you can. If any functionality gets patched or otherwise hooked then any code like this will just fall through.

The reason the compiler produced the above is because the source said exactly what Hitchhikr posted. Inlining a function call like this, for which the compiler doesn't have any corresponding source or object file for, would be prone to fail.
Old 13 August 2011, 02:00   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Generally it's better to ask the operating system for any value you need whenever you can.
And what is exec for you? Not a part of the OS?

Quote:
If any functionality gets patched or otherwise hooked then any code like this will just fall through.
I'd rather not use any patches that will make perfectly valid code "just fall through".
Old 13 August 2011, 12:04   #13
Leffmann

Quote:
And what is exec for you? Not a part of the OS?
You don't understand, it's about asking the OS through function calls instead of getting stuff yourself by peeking inside system structures.

Quote:
I'd rather not use any patches that will make perfectly valid code "just fall through".
These could be things like SetPatch, RTG, programs like SnoopDos, Scout, FBlit or anything. It's not necessarily about just reading some value from memory. The whole point is that if you use established interfaces your program is more likely to benefit from things like these.
Old 15 August 2011, 17:55   #14
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
You don't understand, it's about asking the OS through function calls instead of getting stuff yourself by peeking inside system structures.
Reading values directly should be fine if the docs say it's fine. In the case of execbase->ThisTask the include file says it's readable. Changing this can break things, and thus it wouldn't have changed in future versions.