English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 September 2008, 13:31   #1
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Pier Solar - A new Sega Genesis RPG

Last night they released a playable demo of this promising Genesis RPG, looks very professional. The release should be the 24th of December, preorders being taken.

Quote:
Hello friends of Pier Solar.

I'm proud to announce that the Pier Solar Beta is released to public. We hope you enjoy playing the game as much as we enjoyed making it. Please note that it reflects the developments as they were in April/2008.

Along with the this Beta demo we want to announce the that the final release date has been pushed to December 24. The reason is that, unfortunately, Alex Landgren - one of our Graphic Designers - left the team. Since Alex didn't authorize our team to use the pixel art made by him, we have to rework many graphic items of our game, making it impossible to have all done and tested by October 29. We wish Alex good luck on his projects.

Now the moment many has been expecting: The pre-orders are finally open. Along with them a lot of news:

- Pier Solar will not come in MD and MCD separater versions anymore. Thanks to Fonzie's blasting technology, we'll be offering the MD version capable of playing the songs from the MCD if available. That will guarantee that all players have the same graphic experience, and the players with MCD can experience a Stereo near cd-quality sound.

- Pier Solar will be multi-language. Based on our message board polls we'll be offering 3 language packs: US Pack (EN, ES, PT); EU Pack (EN, FR, DE) and JP Pack (EN, JP). Note that the languages may vary depending on the availability of translators.

- We're selling Pier Solar on 2 editions: Pier Solar Classic and Pier Solar Posterity. Both editions will include: 64 Mega Cartridge, Mega/Sega CD disc for enhanced HiFi soundtrack, goodies, color booklet, a finely crafted clamshell box and a Pier Solar poster. The posterity pack is a way for people to donate to the project and help us to prepare the games for the posterity. Those who purchase the posterity pack will have their names displayed on the game credits and on the manual credits. We also might draw some names to take part into the story as a NPC.
Pier Solar Homepage
Old 01 September 2008, 13:45   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Looks good, ja.
That island on the 2nd picture looks kinda like a typish polish amos graphx
Old 01 September 2008, 13:52   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Looks really nice 35$ is a bit pricy, but at least I will have a look on the demo.
Thanks for the info Retro
Old 01 September 2008, 13:54   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Awesome!
Old 01 September 2008, 14:14   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Looks really nice 35$ is a bit pricy, but at least I will have a look on the demo.
Thanks for the info Retro
I don't think that 35$ are too prizey, you get the cartridge+Mega CD including the booklet and box. Sounds fair enough.
Old 01 September 2008, 14:31   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I don't think that 35$ are too prizey, you get the cartridge+Mega CD including the booklet and box. Sounds fair enough.
It's a fair price for the package, but for someone who doesn't care too much about the goodies and just wants to have the game (MegaCD preferred ), it's a bit expensive. For 20$ it's a sure buy, but for 35$ I really must think about it.
Old 01 September 2008, 14:40   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Then wait for the Rom dump/CD image, somebody will do it for sure.
Old 01 September 2008, 14:46   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Then wait for the Rom dump/CD image, somebody will do it for sure.
I know, but I really want to support these guys Maybe I'll find someone who wants the cartridge and booklet and let me have the CD, so we can share the cost
Old 01 September 2008, 17:18   #9
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

What we really need is that some talented Amiga coders/programmers made a true J-RPG style game for our beloved Amiga.
Imagine a game like Final Fantasy III/VI or Chrono Trigger on Amiga (preferably AGA with HD installer).
Now that would be something.
Old 01 September 2008, 17:20   #10
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
I know, but I really want to support these guys Maybe I'll find someone who wants the cartridge and booklet and let me have the CD, so we can share the cost
sure then you make an megacd image for me, then I gladly take the cartridge
Old 01 September 2008, 18:43   #11
Adropac2
Zone Friend

There isn't one decent Jap style rpg like say a Zelda or Mana and that is something of a mystery considering Amiga is a capable enough machine especially A1200.

Back in the days of great 16bit games, japan always lead with their ability to push out stronger titles.In terms of game mechanics, no one outside of Japan could match the likes of Mario, Zelda, Super Contra, Castlevania.It's somewhat reversed now but it's more understandable why we never saw a great rpg or indeed even a great platformer and shooter at the time frankly

There was also some very good stuff back then of course for Amiga like Speedball2, Carrier Command, Stunt Car but generally the arcade style was mostly duff when it came to incredible shooters or platformers - certainly not the stuff of legend like many a Snes or Megadrive had.Can't think of anything that comes even remotely close to matching a Mario, Axelay, Zelda, Super Contra, etc etc for the Amiga.

Didn't stop me loving the truly amazing Amiga days though

A decent Rpg is an opportunity waiting there for someone
Old 01 September 2008, 18:54   #12
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Apidya was very well done though and different too.Great music and one of the few games to really drag me into it's game world.Fairly simple though and could not boast any of the complexity of a great shooter at the time.

Project X was fun in that Team 17 type of way but it is bit dire

Turrican 2 is an amazing game overall but stripped of it's incredible music and lush atmosphere and your left with a fairly simple game

Super Frog was fun enough like all Team17 games were but just couldn't compare to console quality

Flashback was extremely polished and playable and is perhaps one of few games you could say matched that japanese quality
Old 01 September 2008, 21:07   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
sure then you make an megacd image for me, then I gladly take the cartridge
Sounds like a deal When the game is out, we'll talk about that mate
Old 02 September 2008, 01:55   #14
Cammy

Although the TERRIBLE website puts me off even wanting to check out the game, I'll probably buy it because I like to support indy retro developers. It's a shame no one wants to port this game to the Amiga.

I must complain about that website again. It's a horrible MESS! Everything floats and makes it hard to click on things, and it tries loading this terrible MP3 music which only comes through in short half-second bursts every ten seconds or so on dialup. I can't even find a control to turn the music off! And what, does it expect you to have a 4ghz PC to move around all these stupid flash obects on the screen smoothly? Because it runs like shit on my PC, and it's not slow!

As for Amiga RPG games, what's so bad about Speris Legacy or Legends?
Old 02 September 2008, 04:09   #15
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Cammy

Speris didn't appear to offer much in the way of anything past fetch questing? and rather simple everything else like combat.

I only played it for some 2 maybe 3 hours but it was fairly typical of an unambitous Amiga game and came up a little short.Perhaps a tad unfair in that console games almost always seemed more ambitous and less bedroom made than their Amiga equivalents

An rpg designed with the A1200 in mind potentially at least could be rather excellent but for it to be of the quality of a Zelda, Mana,Tales or FF, takes something more than just a group of people wanting to write an rpg for the Amiga.The great machine does deserve at least one though

Quite possible in Blitz with the right planning and determination.Only wish i had more time to do stuff like this as i'm sure like me, you and many others have a ton of excellent game ideas begging to be made

So then who's going to make the first really good game of this type for Amiga?

Last edited by Adropac2; 07 September 2008 at 18:56.
Old 07 September 2008, 11:53   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
It's a fair price for the package, but for someone who doesn't care too much about the goodies and just wants to have the game (MegaCD preferred ), it's a bit expensive. For 20$ it's a sure buy, but for 35$ I really must think about it.
You faggot, what, a quid buys 500 billion dollars nowadays