English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 May 2019, 15:23   #21
majinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigasith View Post
Hi majinga,

thanks for sharing your experience! However, as I described above, I had no issues with plain SHADOWROM.
Marc
Sorry, I didn't read the thread carefully.

Quote:
The problems started when I used some modules on top of SHADOWROM by using LoadModule and then running an LHA loop for some time.
Maybe I'm saying something very stupid, but, it that the correct way?
I mean, for what I know, one of the uses of LoadModule is to override some KS components. For example when an updated scsi.device is needed in place of the old one inside the KS.
Shadowrom and maprom instead are used to move the KS on the RAM. So use the LoadModule first, and then move the KS to another place don't feel correct to me.

But I don't know how this things works exactly.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what results you get when you repeat my experiments
Sure, if I can, at the moment I'm using a Classic WB 68k with practically no modifications, except the shadowrom and the addmem for the furia.
Old 04 May 2019, 18:11   #22
amigasith

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinga View Post
it that the correct way? I mean, for what I know, one of the uses of LoadModule is to override some KS components.
This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve Overriding the Kickstart built-in icon.library, for example. LoadModule registers the libraries with Amiga OS's exec.library, so it really shouldn't matter in which order you are doing this.

With all my other accelerators, I am also using it this way: First MAPROM, then LoadModule to override a couple of libraries.

And just to be sure, I have also tried the other way around with the Furia: First LoadModule, then MAPROM. But it didn't change anything...
Old 05 May 2019, 11:02   #23
Mark sealey

With my OS.3.1.4 i just copy the Icon.library into the libs draw.....but i can remember using it with Loadmodule and Os3.1....did not like the Reboot part of load module.
Old 06 May 2019, 15:56   #24
Pollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
did you turn CC0 and cpu cashe off via the early startup menu....?
why would you want to do that?

CC0, or the PCMCIA card slot shares the same memory space as additional RAM added. Hold down Amiga+Amiga+Control for 3 seconds to reboot, and set the cards RAM to 4MB, so you can use the PCMCIA slot at the same time.
Old 06 May 2019, 17:22   #25
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post

CC0, or the PCMCIA card slot shares the same memory space as additional RAM added. Hold down Amiga+Amiga+Control for 3 seconds to reboot, and set the cards RAM to 4MB, so you can use the PCMCIA slot at the same time.
TBH thre is no need for ppl to use PCMCIA anymore...like CD roms....theres nothing that the PCMCIA slot can do for me...no need to use it.

Unless you want to go online.
Old 07 May 2019, 20:23   #26
amigasith

Another update...

A friend of mine burnt me the custom Kickstart I was using for my MAPROM experiments into a real EPROM. My hope was that I could use SHADOWROM with this custom Kickstart and thereby circumvent the issues I am still having with the Furia.

But... While the custom Kickstart itself worked perfectly fine, the Furia also didn't like my usual experiment with this setup To repeat: My usual experiment consists of (1) booting the A600, (2) running an LHA loop into RAM: for ~30 minutes, and (3) performing a couple of Ctrl-A-A resets.

While MAPROM with my custom Kickstart from file produces a red screen in my experiment, SHADOWROM with my custom Kickstart in a real EPROM booted into a black screen in step (3) after maybe 5 resets. When I saw the black screen, I rebooted the Amiga a couple of times again via Ctrl-A-A, but it still only showed a black screen after each reset. Holding both mouse buttons to get into the Early Startup Menu resulted in a Guru. Powering the A600 off an on again solved this.

Just like in my last experiments, only the reboot seemed to cause issues. I can run the Furia with the loop in (2) for hours without a single problem. Something happens during reboot that the Furia doesn't like And it's not always the x'th reboot after the LHA loop - sometimes, it's the 5th, sometimes the 7th, etc.
Old 09 May 2019, 13:32   #27
Mark sealey

This custom kickstart...what version is it...?

I want to make a rom with OS4.1.4 components but with OS 3.1 Expansion.Library as i hear the OS3.1.4 version chokes the Furia.
Old 09 May 2019, 20:42   #28
amigasith

Quote:
This custom kickstart...what version is it...?
I used a 3.1 ROM as the base and did the following changes:

- Removed workbench.library, because I could not otherwise squeeze all the updates into the ROM and workbench.library gets loaded from disk anyway, even with OS 3.1
- Updated icon.library with the latest version from Aminet
- Updated layers.library with the latest version from Aminet
- Updated card.resource with a custom one from a1k.org in order to be able to use PCMCIA cards with all the Furia RAM enabled at the same time, but you can also use card.resource from OS 3.0 to achieve the same

Works great Except for my current reboot issue of course
Old 15 May 2019, 19:14   #29
emuola
Registered Whdload user

New FW has been released. Would be great to know the changelog though :/ I have the white Furia with a real old FW version (6) and it's working ok atm. I've got no means to update, but it always is at least a bit tempting to update anyway

https://lotharek.pl/
Old 16 May 2019, 06:26   #30
amigasith

I am in contact with Boris, the Furia developer, since a couple of days and he thinks that the new version of the Firmware could actually solve my reboot issue

The problem is, however, that I don't have a XILINX compatible USB programmer... And I don't have any experience programming CPLDs either... Nevertheless, I ordered one and I am now waiting for it to arrive. It will be a big adventure for me

I will update this thread of course as soon as I have some news. Stay tuned
Old 16 May 2019, 11:12   #31
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post

I don't think there is any need for PCMCIA stuff now days.
Old 17 May 2019, 00:44   #32
Pollock

Quote:
I don't think there is any need for PCMCIA stuff now days.
i use the PCMCIA slot all the time, its handy for transferring small groups of files to the Amiga at a time via CF card, or sometimes I use a Wireless card in it and connect to the t'internets, or sometimes i use a Squirrel PCMCIA SCSI adapter.

it's a handy thing to have.
Old 12 January 2020, 22:20   #33
Jolabandola

Did it work?

Quote:
I am in contact with Boris, the Furia developer, since a couple of days and he thinks that the new version of the Firmware could actually solve my reboot issue

The problem is, however, that I don't have a XILINX compatible USB programmer... And I don't have any experience programming CPLDs either... Nevertheless, I ordered one and I am now waiting for it to arrive. It will be a big adventure for me

I will update this thread of course as soon as I have some news. Stay tuned

Well how did it go?
Old 13 January 2020, 20:52   #34
amigasith

Thanks for reminding me of this thread

Well... Getting the programmer to run wasn't as bad as I thought actually. And the programming process is also almost straightforward. I tried a couple of firmware versions of the Furia, but the most stable one for me turned out to be the currently latest / greatest version (12.8) available here: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=105#files

I am happy to report that my test case now runs much better compared to before. Sometimes, I can perform 50+ resets after my LHA loop stress test without getting a red screen, hang, Guru or anything similar. Although the problem is not completely gone, it is really much better now.

My programmer is still ready to rumble, and as soon as there is a new version of the Furia firmware, I will try it out for sure and report back here
Old 13 January 2020, 21:36   #35
Mark sealey

I've been using maprom for about two months now.....never got it to work with OS3.1.....os3.1.4 was lots better....im now running os3.9 with a custom rom and its mapped into fast ram (devs/kickstarts/kicka600.rom)
Old 14 January 2020, 06:49   #36
thgill

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me of this thread

Well... Getting the programmer to run wasn't as bad as I thought actually. And the programming process is also almost straightforward. I tried a couple of firmware versions of the Furia, but the most stable one for me turned out to be the currently latest / greatest version (12.8) available here: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=105#files

I am happy to report that my test case now runs much better compared to before. Sometimes, I can perform 50+ resets after my LHA loop stress test without getting a red screen, hang, Guru or anything similar. Although the problem is not completely gone, it is really much better now.

My programmer is still ready to rumble, and as soon as there is a new version of the Furia firmware, I will try it out for sure and report back here
What programmer did you use?

I need to get one to update my Furia.
Old 14 January 2020, 16:18   #37
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgill View Post

If you have a Raspberry Pi, it's very good for the purpose

Lähetetty minun SM-G960F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Old 14 January 2020, 21:04   #38
amigasith

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgill View Post

I used this one (DLC9G): http://www.ebay.de/itm/272220427911

You have to be careful however - this type of programmer is available in many different versions from many different vendors, and some of them are made very cheaply and cause all sorts of issues. At least this is what I have read when I did some research regarding this topic. Typically, the cheaply made ones cost around 20,- EUR and the better ones around 40,- EUR. But there is no guarantee whatsoever...
Old 15 January 2020, 06:40   #39
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
I used this one (DLC9G): http://www.ebay.de/itm/272220427911

You have to be careful however - this type of programmer is available in many different versions from many different vendors, and some of them are made very cheaply and cause all sorts of issues. At least this is what I have read when I did some research regarding this topic. Typically, the cheaply made ones cost around 20,- EUR and the better ones around 40,- EUR. But there is no guarantee whatsoever...
That's why I'd recommend the Rpi. It costs about the same, and you know what you get. Of course you also need the wires, but all else (=software) is available for free. I also bought "a ton" of those crappy ones at first :/

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf32...a-Raspberry-Pi
http://xc3sprog.sourceforge.net/
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 January 2020, 16:57   #40
thgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
That's why I'd recommend the Rpi. It costs about the same, and you know what you get. Of course you also need the wires, but all else (=software) is available for free. I also bought "a ton" of those crappy ones at first :/

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf32...a-Raspberry-Pi
http://xc3sprog.sourceforge.net/
[ Show youtube player ]
Quick question:

Comparing the pin out used to flash the Furia from this pic:

And comparing that with the pinout mentioned on the TF328 flashing page, I can clearly see signals and their positions for GND, TCK, TDO, TDI and TMS.

What about VREF? Should it be 5v or 3.3v from the Pi GPIO? I am guessing 3.3v.

Also, the A600 should be powered on or off during flashing?