English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 August 2005, 17:19   #1
Npl

Unhappy Competition Pro USB

After seriously trying to play few games on WinUAE last week, I went out and got myself a Competition Pro USB, since a PS2 Pad wont cut it for many games.
Now Im quite a bit underwhelmed on what I got, first I was really surprised how small it is - cant grab the stick without one or 2 of my fingers beeing somehow in the way. From my memories the original was 25% bigger, cant imagine how small a Competition Pro Mini wouldve been like?
Second, I have trouble doing diagonal moves. The horiz./vert. is incredibly easy to trigger, diagonals need alot more strength and I have trouble doing that if it has to be done quick. Again, my memories tell me that that wasnt the case back then (did need a bit more strength, but all direction could be reached with the some amount of power).

Unfortunately my original "Competition Pro" is nowhere to be found, so I cant really tell if its just my imagination or not. Only thing im certain is that the cheap clumsy amiga-joystick I still have is better than that( and I found it to be way worse than the Competition Pro I had ). Any other first-hand experiences with the new model?
Old 26 August 2005, 17:55   #2
FromWithin
Music lord

I know what you mean, especially with the diagonals, but it's still an excellent joystick. I think your hands have just got bigger since you last used the real thing.

I scoured eBay for ages to get myself one of
these. A Gravis PC Pro. It's the best joystick I've ever used. I used to have the digital version for my Amiga at Psygnosis, and have wanted another one ever since it strangely disappeared one day. The PC Pro one is the analog one. I got it mostly for use with Outrun on MAME.

Highly recommended, although it needs a Gameport. There's not USB version.
Old 26 August 2005, 18:22   #3
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin
I know what you mean, especially with the diagonals, but it's still an excellent joystick. I think your hands have just got bigger since you last used the real thing.
Hmm.. I definitly had my CompPro until I moved away from my parents.. at that time I was 19 and still played a few games on the Amiga. Since then I got fatter, but not bigger
I havent given it much time and it seems WinUAE does introduce an "input lag" for me, played a short game of T4( turrican-clone ) and it went alot better than the emulated games - gonna mess around with a few options to see if I can fix it. (my points still stand though)

I still have a strong desire to get a original CompPro and compare it to the USB rehash. My Miggy is still in good shape, so it wouldnt be a loss either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin
I scoured eBay for ages to get myself one of
these. A Gravis PC Pro. It's the best joystick I've ever used. I used to have the digital version for my Amiga at Psygnosis, and have wanted another one ever since it strangely disappeared one day. The PC Pro one is the analog one. I got it mostly for use with Outrun on MAME.

Highly recommended, although it needs a Gameport. There's not USB version.
Might have a look at it, thanks.
Old 26 August 2005, 20:31   #4
Shrub

I quite liked the Bug, but I never really was a fan of joysticks - I think Sega Master System pads are perfect for the Amiga.
Old 28 August 2005, 13:29   #5
Figi

I have both the Competition Pro USB and a lot of old "original" Competition Pros for my Amigas... They are of the same size. The diagonals of the USB version can be triggered just as easy as the horizontals/verticals. I think memory plays a trick on you, at least when it comes to the size.
Old 28 August 2005, 13:36   #6
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub
I think Sega Master System pads are perfect for the Amiga.
YES! Another one!

Old 28 August 2005, 18:17   #7
MSC
Zone Friend

I too have a couple of USB Comp Pro sticks. The problem lies in the "weak" microswitches used in the stick. Find an electronics outlet and swap them for some better ones. You will be glad you did.
Old 29 August 2005, 01:47   #8
Titler
Zone Friend

Add me that SMS list, although I used the SMS Joystick with my Amiga; it lasted 3 years on the Sega, another 5 on the Amiga... and still works to this day!
Old 29 August 2005, 17:07   #9
kriz

another SMS joypad user (as well as competition pro) !!.. i really like the SMS pad, nice and easy It still works after 10+ years i think..
Old 29 August 2005, 18:57   #10
StarEye
Zone Friend

I prefer the superb six button megadrive/genesis pad... nothing can compare to that one, best controller ever. Thanks to the perfection that is the d-pad.
Old 29 August 2005, 19:28   #11
Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
I prefer the superb Albatross stick... nothing can compare to that one, best joystick ever. Thanks to the perfection that is the microswitch stick.
fixed
Old 29 August 2005, 22:53   #12
StarEye
Zone Friend

What's an albatross stick?
Old 29 August 2005, 23:07   #13
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz
another SMS joypad user (as well as competition pro) !!.. i really like the SMS pad, nice and easy It still works after 10+ years i think..
The hardware simply failed on me due to age but it used to work great. I'm lucky to have acquired a new sms joystick a couple of years ago (was new back then) but it doesn't look durable to me so I don't use it much. The design is great, so 80s and "sega".

Old 29 August 2005, 23:42   #14
Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
What's an albatross stick?
Simply the best amiga joystick ever created
Old 30 August 2005, 23:53   #15
StarEye
Zone Friend

Heh, I've just lost the feel of joysticks a long time ago after many years playing exclusively with gamepads. I even have trouble getting used to the zip-stick. I used to love the maverick, and it's still a decent arcade controller, but for absolute control I prefer one of my megadrive pads. The CD32 pad feels too stiff (the Competition Pro CD32 pad) to take over the throne just yet. Maybe after a little excessive use.

Would've been nice to try out that albatross stick though.
Old 05 September 2005, 12:04   #16
Jope
-

The USB comp pro is indeed 1:1 the same size as the original, but the microswitches and return spring are a lot looser than on the originals.

Also the fire buttons go inside the case, where in the original they were level with the edge when pressed.

I like the USB version, though, very nice stick and the best part is that you don't have to scourge eBay to get one!
Old 05 September 2005, 12:24   #17
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC
I too have a couple of USB Comp Pro sticks. The problem lies in the "weak" microswitches used in the stick. Find an electronics outlet and swap them for some better ones. You will be glad you did.
LAMER MODE ENGAGED~

Can you provide a little more detail or better yet an idiot guide with pix? I was a little disappointed with the response on mine and would like it improved!

Please?
Old 05 September 2005, 13:51   #18
MSC
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
LAMER MODE ENGAGED~

Can you provide a little more detail or better yet an idiot guide with pix? I was a little disappointed with the response on mine and would like it improved!

Please?
Once you take the stick apart, it really is quite straightforward. I am at work at the mo so i cannot take any pics, but attached is a pic of the switches used. I see you are in the UK. Try Maplins or a local electronics dealer. I have found the litle corner shop type places are the best for this kind of stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mswitch.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	9240  
Old 10 September 2005, 00:51   #19
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC
Once you take the stick apart, it really is quite straightforward. I am at work at the mo so i cannot take any pics, but attached is a pic of the switches used. I see you are in the UK. Try Maplins or a local electronics dealer. I have found the litle corner shop type places are the best for this kind of stuff.
Seems like something Im gonna do pretty soon.

Besides, if I turn the stick 90degrees to the left, its much better to handle for me