English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 13 March 2013, 13:43   #21
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Batman forever on the amstrad show that a good demo is not all about technical stuff.
To me a demo should express something, tell a story to be good not pushing zillions of polygons to won the 1st place.
Kamelito
Umm, for most people Batman Forever on the Amstrad IS about the technical stuff
Old 13 March 2013, 14:12   #22
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Umm, for most people Batman Forever on the Amstrad IS about the technical stuff
Agreed. There's no "story" or anything at all like that on Batman Forever.
Old 14 March 2013, 08:23   #23
kamelito
Zone Friend

I should have said not only technical.
Read the author interview @ http://www.norecess.net/interview-rhino.html
Kamelito
Old 14 March 2013, 08:56   #24
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I should have said not only technical.
Well, most people I've talked with think the "theme" of that demo is just stupid, and only the technical part saves it from being just laughable. Tastes differ, but fact is that nobody would care about the demo had it not been for the technical achievements.
Old 14 March 2013, 09:03   #25
britelite

And just to be clear, there are many demos that are impressive and entertaining without being technically advanced. But Batman Forever is not one of those
Old 25 March 2013, 23:53   #26
imigger
Banned

its just a shame x1000 is so expensive and the lower end ppc just suck, now if they allow it to boot on a mac g5 then there would be millions of os4 user not just 25 then there would be loads of stuff coming out ,but they have made it a niche market , so they will suffer in the end it will die just like the ppc hardware shame but im right.
Old 26 March 2013, 03:58   #27
fishyfish
Banned

I think you over-estimate the lull of 2nd hand Mac hardware. It's not a bad choice for a ppc operating system where there's small resources available, but its not like thousands, let alone millions are going to rush out an buy it just because AmigaOS is available for it.

Not sure what youre saying though really. In one sentence you both claim going 2nd hand g5 hardware is good and also that not doing it will make it suffer the death that ppc hardware suffered (of which g5 is part of).
Old 06 April 2013, 02:35   #28
imigger
Banned

fishy , a power mac g4 1.25ghz dual i brought for 25 pounds , so if i can get 1 that cheap so could everyone else, now i would sooner pay that for outdated ppc equipment than 3k ,yes g4 and g5 are part of the ppc death but atleast there still get used for something abit more promising, and for the price i bet most people would buy 1 just to have a go on os4, its all about markets people buy tablet pc,s for 2 reason number 1 there cheap ,number 2 there easy to use, what is os4 category owe yeah amiga geeks like us, so i think im right if they dont release it for pc or mac i cant see it really doing much , and i bet sales are well rubbish, but they must want it to not sell its like the commodore days again.
Old 06 April 2013, 15:00   #29
fishyfish
Banned

Of course having cheaper, more widely available hardware can potentially increase a user base. I never said otherwise.
I do however think youre more than a little optimistic as to just how many people it will attract. Using 2nd hand apple hardware is hardly going to bring a system back to the lime light, all it does is give the small group of people already interested an easier/cheaper road in to do so.
Old 08 April 2013, 03:10   #30
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by imigger View Post
its just a shame x1000 is so expensive and the lower end ppc just suck, now if they allow it to boot on a mac g5 then there would be millions of os4 user not just 25 then there would be loads of stuff coming out ,but they have made it a niche market , so they will suffer in the end it will die just like the ppc hardware shame but im right.
well with your reasoning there should be a million old Macs running MorphOS but that's sadly not the case.
Old ppc Macs are very cheap nowadays and a MorphOS licence is not expensive either.

also there is AROS which is totally free to be used on any old PC and I enjoy using it even on my old net book via AspireOS and still no million users to be found.

I enjoy using my A1000, A1200 for my classic kicks and my A1-X1000 & AspireOS on my neybook for more modern Amiga endeavours and appreciate all those that keep contributing to this very day to the Amiga spirit whether that be 100 users or 10 million does not concern me.
Old 08 April 2013, 22:02   #31
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Not a megademo or scene prod, but a nice bit of 2D nostalgia on the X1000.

[ Show youtube player ]