English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 August 2011, 23:17   #1
the wolf
Just Leeching

Games that need improvements

Ok, first of all, sorry if there is already a similar post but I didn't find it.

In these days I was thinking about some of the "works" around our beloved machine (you know the name, don't you? ),
I'm talking about WHDLoad, WinUAE, Amiga Games Factory, CARE... this means that a lot of people still like playing games, it doesn't make difference how much they are old, they are part of our memory and/or our youth.

But what about if the game is also bad?

Just think to some games that could be better with some little fixes, of course I'm not talking about Rise of the robots, Akira or Last Action Hero (just to mention some titles), you can't do anything for them because they are carp!

Just think how can be a mediocre game like Bionic Commando with a decent scrolling, Final Fight with a improved palette and a background music, Disposeable Hero with less enemies (ok, you get the point).

As we had some previous good example, like Super Street Fighter AGA with graphics fixed and Midnight Resistance with the luminosity improved, or just the chance to use a second fire button for some games that previously you couldn't use.

It could be magic if someone can do a game fixing not only for the loading routine or to remove the protection, but also doing some improvements to transform mediocre games in playable games. Bullsh*ts?

Of course it's just an idea, you can post your thoughts here, maybe with the games you think need improvements!

Last edited by the wolf; 04 August 2011 at 23:24.
Old 04 August 2011, 23:37   #2
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Dragon Ninja definitely could have used a second firebutton for jumping.
Level 2 is next to impossible to complete because of the stupid impossible controls.
Old 04 August 2011, 23:38   #3
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

A remake is the only option, I think it would be illegal to reprogram existing titles. U dont wanna have original programmers sending thier briefs to ur door.
Old 04 August 2011, 23:40   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

9 Lives - one or two kinds of jumps but not more and it should be possible to kill enemies, not just stun
After the War - you should have selection between weapon and bare hands
Atlantyda - should have some kinds of exits or warnings in dead spots
Baby Jo - better screen scrolling
Old 05 August 2011, 07:25   #5
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDaz View Post
A remake is the only option, I think it would be illegal to reprogram existing titles. U dont wanna have original programmers sending thier briefs to ur door.
I'm not talking about a reprogramming.
It's true you have to change some code, but the game would be the same, I'm just saying to enhance or fix some parts to make the game more playable, that's all.
Old 05 August 2011, 07:30   #6
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Alien Syndrome - fix scrolling! You know what i'm talking about
Old 05 August 2011, 07:41   #7
frikilokooo

Turbo Trax: it should be easier or it lets choose the difficulty level.

Super Skidmarks: finish a tournament but not ranked first on all tracks necessarily (which it's stupid indeed) just like the first Lotus game.
Old 05 August 2011, 16:12   #8
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wolf View Post
I'm not talking about a reprogramming.
It's true you have to change some code, but the game would be the same, I'm just saying to enhance or fix some parts to make the game more playable, that's all.
Ah I see, yes that would make sense I think that most games should be made to support external Floppy drives roo. rather than swapping disks on a single drive.
Old 05 August 2011, 18:28   #9
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDaz View Post
Ah I see, yes that would make sense I think that most games should be made to support external Floppy drives roo. rather than swapping disks on a single drive.
Unfortunately this kind of fix is only for who still use a drive (or an emulated one). I prefer thinking about installed versions and tweaks in the game itself, but... yes, why not?
Old 05 August 2011, 19:26   #10
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Some of you may know that us members of the Kick Off Association have done a great deal of work on the Kick Off 2 disk after one of our members reverse engineered it. Several bugs were removed and tons of options were added, not to mention custom pitch graphics.

I'd love to see a version of International Karate + that offers the skipping of those annoying ball & bombs mini games at the press of a key. Even if you lose on purpose it takes ages to get back to the fun part.
Old 05 August 2011, 22:38   #11
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
I had made a suggestion for improved keyboard controls for Hired Guns, especially with the idea of being able to play the campaign in single player mode via keyboard controls (control the active character with keys and have some keys to choose which character is active).
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47401

Also, the cracktro for Turn It (crack by Best) says:
"The bug in the ending sequence is not our fault, the original has the same failure!"

I have no idea what "the bug" refers to exactly (graphic issue? lock?) but I guess it could therefore use a sort of fixing.
Old 06 August 2011, 00:24   #12
PaulyQ

I personally think that Alien Breed - The Killing Ground could be improved, a WinUAE version specifically would be good without all the farting on trying to get the RTG patch to work correctly. Also with a decent key config like most usual 3d shooters on a PC
Old 06 August 2011, 03:55   #13
laffer
Zone Friend

One game that instantly comes to mind for me is - Lost Patrol.

I mean, this game had a lot of potential and I love the setting... and it has great music, lovely still images and some really nice, slightly animated ones too (like the boat one).
Because of all of that, the game has a very good atmosphere and it could have been a brilliant game.

However, as it is, it feels very unfinished. The minigames feel unpolished and frustrating, and there are too few of them.
You're also given too few choices so you can't really pick all that many different strategies.

Finally, it's way too unfair... in fact I don't think I've ever finished it without cheating.
Old 06 August 2011, 09:21   #14
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

A lot of games have jerky scrolling. Fixing this would be a definite improvement but would be non-trivial. Some have worse scrolling than others. Rolling Thunder, Barbarian (Psygnosis), Pac-Land, Quadralien, Bionic Commando and Alien Syndrome spring immediately to mind.

Quote:
Just think to some games that could be better with some little fixes, of course I'm not talking about Rise of the robots
Rise of the Robots just needs a small gameplay tweak to make the flying kick not so good, then it would be an awesome game.
Old 26 August 2011, 13:46   #15
s2325
Zone Friend

I think Operation Firestorm should have same controls as Midnight Resistance.
Old 26 August 2011, 16:17   #16
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
A lot of games have jerky scrolling. Fixing this would be a definite improvement but would be non-trivial. Some have worse scrolling than others. Rolling Thunder, Barbarian (Psygnosis), Pac-Land, Quadralien, Bionic Commando and Alien Syndrome spring immediately to mind.

yes
lot of games have ugly and jerky scrolling and same games runs at 25fps or less instead 50 or 60fps..
specially the oldies...games before 1989
I think that those can't be fixerd on a easy way cause bad code
Old 26 August 2011, 17:40   #17
desiv

I've heard several people say that even just a code system (or save game / reload) would have made the first 2 Shadow of the Beasts more enjoyable / less impossible. ;-)
(Probably not possible, but a "save state" in whdload would be pretty incredible now that I think about that..)

Some of the early ST (or even 8-bit) ports could have used some graphic upgrades.
I love the early RPGs (pools of radiance, etc), but the graphics really made me think I was still having fun on my C64...

desiv
Old 24 March 2013, 21:27   #18
Herpes
... aka Amix73

IK+++ improved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
I'd love to see a version of International Karate + that offers the skipping of those annoying ball & bombs mini games at the press of a key. Even if you lose on purpose it takes ages to get back to the fun part.
Yes, exactly how I felt too... but I wanted to switch them off permanently.
Sorry for the long delay but I have little time and I am pretty lame so I just finished my IK+ version where you can switch off both in-game annoyances independently before starting the game.

I called it IK+++ and upped it to the zone.

Have fun!
Herpes.
Old 25 March 2013, 11:23   #19
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Any game that makes you choose between music or sound needed to be fixed to support both :/

Turrican 2: why that ear wax-liquifying noise when you are hit???

Jim Power: a health bar / hearts would have made the game a lot more playable.

Armourgeddon: It seriously needed a tutorial. To this day I have no clue what to do.

Toki: a health bar is not needed in this game, but slightly less vindictive collision detection would have been nice.

9 lives: this game would have been playable if it wasn't so jerky and didn't have such a weird timed jumping mechanism.

Cannon Fodder: would have been nice if people waiting in line would get some kind of training based on the progress you make in-game, so you wouldn't have to play with complete rookies if your veteran guys would die in the field. Its the Project-X principle - if you die in later missions, you might as well load back a game / start over.

Silkworm: more variation in the bosses would have made this great game epic.

Yeah, you can go on and on and on...
Old 25 March 2013, 11:31   #20
s2325
Zone Friend

I think Silkworm bosses should do more than slowly move left or right. But same problem have Agony. Also I think owl projectiles should be smaller but with option to use swords at the front, something like in R-Type.