English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 08 February 2006, 02:23   #1
sareks
Apprentice

Shinobi Boss Level 5

Does anyone know how to beat the boss in level 5 (the face ninja),
I beat him twice (spent my smart bomb as well) but he keeps on coming back and just smashes me.
Old 08 February 2006, 12:56   #2
DamienD
Banned

This is one of my favourite all time arcade games

Haven't been to the 5th boss on the Amiga version but I can finish it on the arcades (even on the hardest level and fastest bullet speed DIP switches)... Only been to the 2nd boss on the Amiga version (as it doesn't even compare with the arcade version and I got bored). The first + second boss are the same on both versions so hopefully the 5th boss (and the others) should also be the same. Here goes:

Basically the 5th boss had 4 different phases. I'll describe what they are and how to beat each one (well as best as I can as it's quite difficult):

1st Phase - Electricity:
The boss has an electricity field around him. It breaks for about a second, this is when you can hit him. He jumps towards you, emits electricity, then it stops for one second and the process repeats.

You need to stand just enough distance away from him so that you are not too close when he jumps at you, then when the electricity stops for a second you need to quickly run in, crouch and press hit. This should do a kick and hurt him if done correctly. You need to do 3 successful hits to kill him...

2nd Phase - Whirlwind:
The boss has a whirlwind around him and these fly out towards you at ground, mid-range and head height. He doesn't jump, just stays on the ground and and moves towards you.

All you need to do is jump at the right place and time so that you land next to him but dodging the whirlwinds that come out. When next to him crouch again and press hit so that it does a kick. Again you need to achieve 3 successful hits to kill him...

3rd Phase - Shadows:
This phase of the boss can be very easy or very difficult depending on luck. Basically he jumps at you and shadows of himself come out. These shadows are dangerous...

You need to stand just out of range when he jumps so that when he lands you are just next to him and can crouch / press hit so that it does a kick. Again you need to achieve 3 successful hits to kill him...

4th Phase - Running Man:
This is the final phase of the boss. This can be very difficult and will take you a while to get the technique correct. The boss runs around towards you very quickly and kicks you when in range.

The way to beat this is to keep jumping around, crouching / kicking when he's next to you and then jump around again. Repeat this until he's dead. Now, everytime you hit him his energy meter finally demishes, so he takes eight hits. What I usually do is save my ninja magic for this phase as it should know off 4 hits.

If you have any questions or I haven't explained it to when, let me know... Good luck.

Last edited by DamienD; 08 February 2006 at 14:15.
Old 08 February 2006, 15:33   #3
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Just a quick question:
Do you hav any hints as how to kill the 2nd boss ( the helicopter ) ?
I can go there without loosing a live, but this one almost every time kills me cause it shoots bullets in all hights and it's hard to avoid them...
Old 08 February 2006, 16:06   #4
DamienD
Banned

Sure, The Helicopter

This one's pretty easy (well at least on the arcade version, should be the same). Basically as soon as you start the boss level you just need to jump and time your shot with the Shuriken so that it hits the nose of the helicopter. You should be able to hit this three times before the helicopter is as low as it goes and then starts to rise up again.

Just jump any bullets that come at you, you should be able to jump over them at whatever height as long as your jump is timed right. When the helicopter is at full height, stand directly underneath the nose and use your ninja magic. This should take off three hits and bring it back down to the ground...

Now, all you should have to do is jump and time your shot with the Shuriken so that it hits the nose of the helicopter twice (same as previous).

Hope this makes sense. If not let me know, I'll play the Amiga version and try to beat it for you.

PS. If you guys really like this game, you should really try the arcade version via MAME32. It's the absolute best and blows the poorly done Amiga conversion away. Also the arcade ROM file for Shinobi is only 461Kb in size (of course you still need the emulator to play it though)...

PPS. Shadow Dancer (aka Shinobi 2) is also a very cool game, much harder to finish though. The arcade conversion to Amiga is done much better than Shinobi was and pretty good.

Last edited by DamienD; 08 February 2006 at 17:27.
Old 09 February 2006, 00:37   #5
sareks
Apprentice

in order to beat the game you should use the quicksave / quickload option of winuae,
whenever you die, jump back and try again.

the boss level 5 in the amiga version is different than the other. unfortunately.
Old 09 February 2006, 13:08   #6
DamienD
Banned

sareks, if you put a save state in The Zone! I'll see if I can beat him
Old 09 February 2006, 22:07   #7
sareks
Apprentice

it's now in The Zone!. good luck
Old 09 February 2006, 22:32   #8
DamienD
Banned

Cheers, I'll give it a bash tomorrow

Which crack / version are you using? The .ipf file or one of these .adf files:

... Shinobi (1989)(Sales Curve)[cr PNA]
... Shinobi (1989)(Sales Curve)[cr PNA][a2]
... Shinobi (1989)(Sales Curve)[cr PNA][a3]
... Shinobi (1989)(Sales Curve)[cr PNA][a]
... Shinobi (1989)(Sales Curve)[cr]
Old 09 February 2006, 23:43   #9
DamienD
Banned

Hey sareks,

Thought I'd give it a quick try tonight before I go to sleep just to see what I'm up against...

You'll be glad to know that I beat him, only took 4 attempts (surprisingly)

Trust me the arcade "Masked Ninja" is much, much harder to beat. The Amiga version is just the final part of the 4 parts to this boss on the arcade version i.e. Running Man.

Here's how:

1) Basically when the save state starts the boss is falling from above. He then appears at the far right of the screen. You now need to crouch, face right and keep firing Shurikens. Hit him twice and you then need to do the following sequence to finish him off...

2) Jump back left, crouch facing right and fire a Shuriken at him. Jump left, crouch facing right and fire a Shuriken at him etc. Try and do this process as quickly as you can as this will ensure that he's kept away at a safe distance. Keep repeating this until until he's dead.

Hopefully this makes sense and helps you out sareks. If not just ask me and I'll try to explain a little better.

Finally, this is really a question for Toni. I loaded the save state provide by sarek but unfortunately when I lost a life the screen went black. I waited for 10 seconds but nothing... I had to reload the save state and try to beat him again. When I did actually beat him the game didn't continue to load, just the black screen and no activity. I would have like to have created a final save state but there was no point as the game doesn't continue. My question is this, is my issue caused by one of the following reasons:

... a) I wasn't using the same crack / version that sareks was (I used the .ipf).

... b) I don't have the same configuration / parameters set to enable the save state to fully work and then continue.

... c) Something completely different.

Your great knowledge and understanding would be much appreciated, many thanks Toni.

Last edited by DamienD; 10 February 2006 at 00:19.
Old 10 February 2006, 00:45   #10
demoniac

In the savestate, there are configurations which WinUAE uses to continue off. You can see them if you use a hex editor. This will show you the name of the ADF images that was used.

The black screen could be due to (a) as there's probably copy protection which the save state version didn't have, and (b) different RAM settings, etc. If both (a) and (b) are completely the same, then you probably have (c).
Old 10 February 2006, 12:22   #11
DamienD
Banned

Many thanks for the explanation demoniac
Old 10 February 2006, 14:48   #12
sareks
Apprentice

Shinobi Config file for savegame (level 5 boss)

If you need the config file, I can upload it.
I used the latest release of winuae (version 1.1.1).
thanks for the hint. I'll try it out
Old 10 February 2006, 14:57   #13
sareks
Apprentice

yes!!! it worked fine. finished the game but the ending is rather less amusing - worked all the way through the game and then...
now I'm set for the arcarde version - finished shadow dancer a while ago - really like these games.

DamienD wrote: "PS. If you guys really like this game, you should really try the arcade version via MAME32. It's the absolute best and blows the poorly done Amiga conversion away. Also the arcade ROM file for Shinobi is only 461Kb in size (of course you still need the emulator to play it though)..."
=> where do I get it ? what console is it ?
Old 10 February 2006, 15:25   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareks
DamienD wrote: "PS. If you guys really like this game, you should really try the arcade version via MAME32. It's the absolute best and blows the poorly done Amiga conversion away. Also the arcade ROM file for Shinobi is only 461Kb in size (of course you still need the emulator to play it though)..."
=> where do I get it ? what console is it ?
Damien meant the original Arcade game (Spielhalle), Mame32 emulates those old games. You can grab the most games here:

http://planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=352

I suggest you Mame Plus!

http://mameplus.emu-france.com/

1. download " Shinobi (set 5, System 16A, unprotected) " = 461 K
2. copy the still zipped rom into the roms folder of mame
3. Press F5 to refresh the available gamelist
5. play the classic
Old 10 February 2006, 19:47   #15
DamienD
Banned

Excellent news sareks, glad that you finally beat him

Many thanks to you Retro-Nerd for clarifying what I had typed. The arcade version simply rocks and like I said is before is one of my all time favourite games...

I wish I could take a movie of the game from start to finish on hardest mode / fastest bullet speed. It takes great skill and looks awesome.

I might quickly beat it on the arcade but take screen shots of the final boss's 4 phases. I'll then post them here for anyone that's interested
Old 10 February 2006, 20:41   #16
DamienD
Banned

Ok, here are some screen shots taken from the arcade version of Shinobi via MAME32. Enjoy

Note: Modem user friendly... All screen shots put together are only 93.4Kb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Title.png
Views:	389
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	10162   Click image for larger version

Name:	1stBoss.png
Views:	392
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	10163   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndBoss.png
Views:	419
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	10164   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rdBoss_Phase1.png
Views:	421
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	10165   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rdBoss_Phase2.png
Views:	389
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	10166  

Old 10 February 2006, 20:42   #17
DamienD
Banned

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4thBoss.png
Views:	395
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	10167   Click image for larger version

Name:	5thBoss_4xPhases.png
Views:	405
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	10168   Click image for larger version

Name:	5thBoss_Phase1.png
Views:	368
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	10169   Click image for larger version

Name:	5thBoss_Phase2.png
Views:	366
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	10170   Click image for larger version

Name:	5thBoss_Phase3.png
Views:	395
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	10171  

Old 10 February 2006, 20:44   #18
DamienD
Banned

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5thBoss_Phase4.png
Views:	405
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	10174  
Old 14 February 2006, 00:31   #19
Dalai

Save states to finish the game! Pffft. No save states in the arcades, lad.
Old 14 February 2006, 00:50   #20
sareks
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalai
Save states to finish the game! Pffft. No save states in the arcades, lad.
hey, everyone how he wishes