English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 December 2012, 15:34   #1
bjavor

Amiga 3000 coin battery + indivision installation

I have an Amiga 3000 from which the battery has been removed by the previous owner. I've bought some coin batteries from AmigaKit that I was planning on installing. Unfortunately even the coin battery would be in the way of the Indivision ECS that I'm also planning on installing...

Now I could just solder some wires into the holes of the battery socket and have the coin battery dangling freely (with some insulation of course) on those, but I was wondering if someone know a more elegant solution before I go ahead with that...

Old 28 December 2012, 18:38   #2
SpeedGeek

I don't think the A3000 was given much design consideration for the Indivison ECS. Although, it may offer some features beyond Amber the upgrade cost is still a little hard to justify for the A3000. Moving the coin battery hack sounds like the most elegant solution to me.
Old 28 December 2012, 22:50   #3
source
Zone Friend

For me all of my Amigas have cordless phone batteries attached instead of the the coin batteries. From what I understand (which could be wrong) the coin bats have a diode present to prevent charging. so you will need to periodically change the battery. I don't know how long the battery will last, but I like the idea that the battery will charge. I attached leads to the battery so that the battery can be placed anywhere you want inside the case.
Old 29 December 2012, 13:44   #4
bjavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
For me all of my Amigas have cordless phone batteries attached instead of the the coin batteries. From what I understand (which could be wrong) the coin bats have a diode present to prevent charging. so you will need to periodically change the battery. I don't know how long the battery will last, but I like the idea that the battery will charge. I attached leads to the battery so that the battery can be placed anywhere you want inside the case.
Yes the piece I have from AmigaKit is soldered to a tiny board that has a diode to prevent charging. BTW, while we are talking about the battery... The motherboard has 3 holes for it but the "bottom" two seem to be connected. So it is enough to solder only two wires, right?

My current plan is to take a fan extension cable, cut it in half, solder one half to the battery holes on the motherboard and the other half to the battery (which I need to put into some sort of case or similar). This way the battery can be detatched easily in case I need/want to replace it with a different solution...

The phone battery bit is interesting. I haven't heard that one before. What type/brand are you using? And does charging really work with those???

Old 29 December 2012, 14:53   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

yes, you only need two wires..

the battery may be replaced by any 3-cell/3.6V NiCd battery, but a large capacity battery (e.g. phone battery) will take a long time to charge initially, so make sure it's charged before connecting it..

A common replacement is also to use a straight-swap NiMH battery..
Old 29 December 2012, 15:48   #6
SpeedGeek

I also have the phone battery hack in my A3000! I think the main reason the coin battery hack is so popular is because of the leakage problem with the original Ni-Cads. But the shrink wrap on the phone battery's should give some additional protection:

http://www.amibay.com/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=82
Old 29 December 2012, 17:12   #7
lost_loven

A interesting thread here.. some pics and on the 3rd page pics of what i did for the battery solution.
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...=a3000+battery

lost
Old 29 December 2012, 20:00   #8
source
Zone Friend

My 2000 is open so I can take some pics and upload. The battery is placed in a plastic pouch I made and attached to the outside of the case, but inside the front Bezel. The battery is kept away from the Mo bo.