English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 October 2016, 15:30   #1
Signman

AmigaKit

They are not the most responsive people as far as following up on after sales inquiries.
When I purchased, part was shown to be in stock. A few days later it shows as pending. Ok, fine but give me a clue as to when. They also charged my card without having stock, not the way US sales works, is this normal?
Old 04 October 2016, 16:07   #2
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
not the way US sales works, is this normal?
Not true, not defending here, but wherever you order, you get charged as soon as you purchase, whether there is stock of the item or not. In the case of a pre-order, some times you don't get charged. But on sought-after items, you might.

So there is no "way US sales work" in this aspect.
(Amigakit is a British company, too, by the way).

As to solve your issue, badger them until you get a reply, it really is a bit annoying when you buy something marked as in stock and then it turns out there was a stocking count error and you are there, waiting, without knowing when your stuff will be delivered.
Old 04 October 2016, 16:13   #3
obitus1990

Quote:
They are not the most responsive people as far as following up on after sales inquiries.
When I purchased, part was shown to be in stock. A few days later it shows as pending. Ok, fine but give me a clue as to when. They also charged my card without having stock, not the way US sales works, is this normal?
Response times have varied greatly in my experience with them. Sometimes, they are extremely prompt and ship within a day. Other times, I've had items marked as "being picked" or some other status for almost two weeks. The latter situation reflects what you are describing, for my purchase of an "in stock" item. For the most part, they respond to service inquiries within a day, but, I've had at least one very long support issue in which I feel was forgotten about (it took over 2 months to resolve, even with weekly reminders from me, and then daily).

I don't know if this is normal, or not, for other countries, but, we in the US have become spoiled by the speed at which items arrive from companies like Amazon. I will say, however, that Vesalia in Germany has been very prompt to ship items, as is iComp and Amigastore.eu. But, I have also found those three stores to also be virtually unresponsive to inquiries sent to them via email, or, even through their own support portals.
Old 04 October 2016, 19:04   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
It really depends on how busy we are. Leading up to shows can cause slow downs in replying to support issues (currently getting ready for Amiwest). I am aware of your ticket as I have only just had time to start going trough them. Also bear in mind, we were at an Amiga meeting last weekend, so it all has a knock on effect. Im currently looking into your issue.

Akira is also right. You get charged instantly for anything you buy online, when using either paypal or card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_m View Post
Response times have varied greatly in my experience with them. Sometimes, they are extremely prompt and ship within a day. Other times, I've had items marked as "being picked" or some other status for almost two weeks. The latter situation reflects what you are describing, for my purchase of an "in stock" item. For the most part, they respond to service inquiries within a day, but, I've had at least one very long support issue in which I feel was forgotten about (it took over 2 months to resolve, even with weekly reminders from me, and then daily).

I don't know if this is normal, or not, for other countries, but, we in the US have become spoiled by the speed at which items arrive from companies like Amazon. I will say, however, that Vesalia in Germany has been very prompt to ship items, as is iComp and Amigastore.eu. But, I have also found those three stores to also be virtually unresponsive to inquiries sent to them via email, or, even through their own support portals.
Again, really depends on how busy we are. I doubt any one realises that I make atleast 80% of stuff on the store. We are working on trying to get some shelf stock built up to help.

Last edited by FOL; 04 October 2016 at 19:25.
Old 04 October 2016, 20:06   #5
Signman

Sorry if I came off ticked off, more just wanting or having an idea when product will ship.
Looking at other options to have a decent display on my 1200.
In my support ticket, part of my query was so I could decide to cancel order or wait.
Just got an email that I was refunded. Wasn't necessary if a few more weeks.

Well at least I know Amigakit reads here. Read this, I like your support for the Amiga which is a tough road. More so, now that I know how the big the company is and how products are made, I will be more understanding.

Not my first purchase, quite happy with previous orders.
Old 04 October 2016, 23:11   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Sorry if I came off ticked off, more just wanting or having an idea when product will ship.
Looking at other options to have a decent display on my 1200.
In my support ticket, part of my query was so I could decide to cancel order or wait.
Just got an email that I was refunded. Wasn't necessary if a few more weeks.

Well at least I know Amigakit reads here. Read this, I like your support for the Amiga which is a tough road. More so, now that I know how the big the company is and how products are made, I will be more understanding.

Not my first purchase, quite happy with previous orders.
We do read the forums, as you have to remember we are also Amiga nuts at heart, .
Old 05 October 2016, 06:11   #7
ma693541
Computer Wizard

I have only good things to say about AmigaKit. Fast delivery when they have items in stock and I have been using them many times for my Amiga things bought online. Pity both my Amigas are now gone thru the dustbin and I was very upset about that after a cleanup of my house. Does anybody know where I can find a Amiga seller that have them in stock in Norway? Datakompaniet used to sell them, but not anymore and I can not find them online either.
Old 05 October 2016, 13:57   #8
Signman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
I have only good things to say about AmigaKit. Fast delivery when they have items in stock and I have been using them many times for my Amiga things bought online. Pity both my Amigas are now gone thru the dustbin and I was very upset about that after a cleanup of my house. Does anybody know where I can find a Amiga seller that have them in stock in Norway? Datakompaniet used to sell them, but not anymore and I can not find them online either.
You don't have one pop up locally from time to time?
People in the US buy from Europe more than you would think. The 1200 I just purchased from a man in Ohio was purchased by him from England.

Last edited by Signman; 06 October 2016 at 02:15.
Old 06 October 2016, 01:10   #9
ma693541
Computer Wizard

@Signman and what about the Customs and VAT for a expensive thing as an A1200 or A500 bought overseas? You can not send everything in the mail overseas or across borders here as a "Gift". Remember that Norway aren't a part of EU, but instead have a stupid EEC agreement with EU.
Old 06 October 2016, 01:12   #10
obitus1990

We don't have VAT in USA. I've bought a lot of items for the Amiga from European sellers (commercial and private), and, I've always received them at my door, even when properly declared with the right value, versus having to go pick them up at US Customs and pay.
Old 06 October 2016, 17:01   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
@Signman and what about the Customs and VAT for a expensive thing as an A1200 or A500 bought overseas?
VAT or whatever tax is charged in a country is local tax to that country, you don't pay it on imports, and this is a USED ITEM, it doens't pay TAX, as it isn't NEW merchandise.

You do pay custom taxes, and CN22 (custom declaration) forms are the same world wide and the way you fill it up is the same. They ALL can mark things as gift (mandatory, it isn't a commercial merchandise) and the value, well, don't want to run into a legal argument here so I'll leave that one up to you, but if you're a stick in the mud, you probably are gonna pay ridiculous custom taxes over an item that shouldn't pay them.

Comparing to USA isn't fair though, European countries in general are stricter in regards of custom duties of import items. US has more lax/bigger limits.
Old 06 October 2016, 18:53   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Comparing to USA isn't fair though, European countries in general are stricter in regards of custom duties of import items. US has more lax/bigger limits.
Spot on. The amount of times, things have been declared as $600 for an A1200 mobo and customs in the UK hit us for £60+ to receive it.
Old 06 October 2016, 20:30   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
The amount of times, things have been declared as $600 for an A1200 mobo and customs in the UK hit us for £60+ to receive it.
The UK is a particularly annoying beast, you don't have any way to contest it and you are charged by the carrier, whoever that may be, for the "administration charges" of picking it up and clearing customs for you, to which you have no option!! Then again I don't think anybody will want to travel to Southend-On-Sea to pick up a fricking foreign package.

The way people fill up the CN22 is key and can save you a lot of trouble. Work with your seller to fill it up the right way.
Old 06 October 2016, 22:29   #14
ma693541
Computer Wizard

In Norway we can only import new items to the country for only 350 Norske Kroner and that's way to low, but not all things we import does we pay VAT on. So if you want to buy something for example from a foreign country outside Norway, be sure that they also have a Norwegian snailmail address somewhere on their site and that they deliver from Norway too. If they do so, you can shop till you are blue without thinking on Customs and VAT.
Have a look at for example www.cdon.com - The biggest online store for the northern countries. I wish AmigaKit and other major Amiga stores had a reseller her in Norway or for all the northern countries.