English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 13 April 2002, 05:11   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Jewels Of Darkness

Does anybody have a working copy of this game (not to be confused with the Tom Jones single "Daughter of Darkness")? Belgarath pointed out to me that the TOSEC version is indeed broken. Amazingly enough, I don't seem to have an alternate copy of this game (physically) on my PC (I may have one on my Amiga, but I just don't know at this time.) So if any of y'all are sitting on a copy of this game, can you please swing it the way of the Zone? TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dod.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2177  
Old 13 April 2002, 07:27   #2
jmmijo

You are referring to the Rainbird/Level 9 release correct? The one with the 3 adventure games in it?
Old 13 April 2002, 07:35   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yup, that's the one!
Old 13 April 2002, 07:35   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Shatterhand

Hey, the jewels of darkness trilogy was released for Amiga? I want it too, I only know the MSX and PC version ...
Old 13 April 2002, 07:40   #5
jmmijo

Yeah, I found a shitload of sites that have the PC version, man I can find those all day long. Now as for the Amiga version, both Aceroms and Emuchina have the same exact TOSEC version, they are both labled [b]
Old 13 April 2002, 07:55   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That [b] version is the only one that I know of that has been spread on the net. Surely somebody else has a copy that's clean?
Old 13 April 2002, 08:01   #7
jmmijo

You'd think that wouldn't you. Man I wish I had kept all my original Amiga hardware and software. I had a much larger collection of originals then I do now, even though I had more room then I felt I was never going to get into the Amiga ever again Damn, I could kill myself cause I'm sure I had every text adventure created for the Amiga

EDIT: on a side note, yes Tom Jones can still belt it out. I went to Vegas about 2 or 3 years ago and saw him at the MGM Grand, geeze the freakin women in the front row tossing him their panties, ummm

Last edited by jmmijo; 13 April 2002 at 08:16.
Old 13 April 2002, 08:57   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

What's the problem with the TOSEC version?
Old 13 April 2002, 10:53   #9
Chuckles
The Ancient One

@Twistin'Ghost

I saw your post and discovered that my adf version of this didn't work either - I never even got an icon for the disk when I had inserted it. Went back to my Amiga diskette and was able to run it on my A500 with no apparent problems. So I then used disk2fdi to create a new adf, and found that it had the same problem - WinUAE didn't recognize the disk at all. I then tried to open it up with ADF Opus, which reported a checksum error, but it did open it up. I then created a new adf and copied the files to it, and the copy then seemed to work with no problems in WinUAE.

I've uploaded my (hopefully) working copy to the Zone. Hope that helps.

P.S. For anybody who downloads this who may not already know - this isn't a bootable disk, so you'll need to boot Workbench to use it.
Old 13 April 2002, 11:33   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Games work!

hi guys,

you're addressing a very old problem here.
First of all, [b]the version is NOT broken!
Yes. The game uses speech, so you must provide the narrator.device, the translator.library and the Speak-Handler.
You must have a 1.3 Workbench.
3.x Workbench cannot work with the game because its speech system doesn't use either of these files.
This means:
- people that only have a WB *without* the speech functionality CANNOT play the game!

Solution:
- Get a WB *with* speech working, at best: get an original WB.

Last edited by andreas; 13 April 2002 at 19:54.
Old 13 April 2002, 12:08   #11
Chuckles
The Ancient One

@andreas

I can't comment on the problems you're referring to, or to what problem Twistin'Ghost may have been having, since I never saw that problem described. But the problem I was having was that WinUAE simply didn't recognize the adf file, and I was booting up under KS/WB 1.3. The "fixed" adf that I uploaded to the zone is accessible within WinUAE, and appears to work, though it could still have undiscovered errors. I didn't have the time or patience to play all three games all the way through to find out.
Old 13 April 2002, 12:11   #12
icycool
Banned

8309a9a3 Jewels Of Darkness 0564.adf
492b2b5c Jewels Of Darkness 0565.adf
2249db66 Jewels Of Darkness Jewels of Darkness (19xx)(Level 9)[b][WB].adf
2a7607b9 Jewels Of Darkness JEWELSOD.ADF

I have alt copies of it, I'll locate sometime soon and upload.
Old 13 April 2002, 13:19   #13
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

ooops, this originally said how the [b] copy was definitely bad, but after trying chuckles version and at first gettin a disk corrupt error, i got his version to work and then tried to get the [b] copy working and sure enough it does work. what i was doing was booting with 1 drive enabled, removing the workbench disk, then inserting the jewels of darkness disk, clicking on the disk then resulted in a software failiure. what i should have done is either booted with 2 drives or ejected workbench disk, resumed emulation and then inserted the jewels of darkness disk.

so my apologies

However, when i did originally report it as being bad, it didnt crash it just froze. but using the exact same configuration now i cant get it freeze again..so im not sure what happened

Last edited by Belgarath; 13 April 2002 at 14:01.
Old 13 April 2002, 20:02   #14
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Well Belgarath, there were sites that also provided workbench disks although it wasn't legal. LOTS of those WB disks had the speech functionality, i. e.
DEVS:narrator.device
LIBS:translator.library
L:Speak-Handler

removed, this means that either all of the files I just named or part of them were missing. You need at least those three files to get working speech.
Try this setup with 0.8.8 R8 as well, please. Don't forget to set 100% sound emulation (absolutely required for speech!) and tell me if it works for you.
You're definitely not forced to use the latest WinUAE version with this game. 0.8.8 works, too.
Old 13 April 2002, 20:51   #15
jmmijo

Interesting info people, I'll have to try this myself