English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 July 2007, 12:16   #1
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Roll eyes (sarcastic) "Amiga fails to deliver cash, loses naming rights to Kent arena"

Tuesday, July 31, 2007,

"The city of Kent dumped tech company Amiga as naming-rights sponsor for the city's planned hockey arena after the company failed to deliver a promised down payment Monday.

Amiga was supposed to pay $2.5 million by 5 p.m. to secure the $10 million, 20-year naming-rights deal for what would have been called The Amiga Center at Kent.

But in recent weeks, the city and company had sparred over details — such as control of advertising in the new arena — and Amiga had offered less money than initially promised, Kent officials said.

By Monday evening, the deal was off, and city officials said they would look for a new sponsor.
"

(Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company)

Read the whole story at The Seattle Times: Amiga fails to deliver cash, loses naming rights to Kent arena

Last edited by eLowar; 31 July 2007 at 12:24. Reason: added date, changed formatting
Old 31 July 2007, 12:21   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

WHOOOHOOO!!!!

another nail in the ass of the scum-sucking a(_._).ST-inc

This is the best news the City of Kent could hope for!
Old 31 July 2007, 12:24   #3
GraveR

What a surprise
Old 31 July 2007, 12:28   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh. No. This. Can. Not. Be. <ARGH>
Old 31 July 2007, 12:29   #5
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

"Amiga's acting president, Bill McEwen, declined to comment Monday."
Old 31 July 2007, 12:32   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have already printed out the artical... the wife i am sure is gonna put up a fight but its gonna be posted up in our bedroom LOL...

to danm funny!!!
Old 31 July 2007, 12:41   #7
Paul_s

oh and....

bill you
Old 31 July 2007, 12:51   #8
GraveR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Oh. No. This. Can. Not. Be. <ARGH>
"A response from Amiga will be expected in 2 weeks."
Old 31 July 2007, 18:52   #9
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveR View Post
"A response from Amiga will be expected in 2 weeks."
That joke is contractually obliged in every Amiga Inc-relate thread

Superb news though; another nail in their coffin.
Old 31 July 2007, 18:57   #10
CU_AMiGA
Banned

they couldn't wait for 2 more weeks for Bill to respond!

"Amiga's acting president, Bill McEwen, declined to comment Monday."

ROFL
Old 31 July 2007, 18:58   #11
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
I have already printed out the artical... the wife i am sure is gonna put up a fight but its gonna be posted up in our bedroom LOL...

to danm funny!!!
let us know how you get on!
Old 31 July 2007, 20:28   #12
Raid27
I have a joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
Tuesday, July 31, 2007,

"The city of Kent dumped tech company Amiga as naming-rights sponsor for the city's planned hockey arena after the company failed to deliver a promised down payment Monday.

Amiga was supposed to pay $2.5 million by 5 p.m. to secure the $10 million, 20-year naming-rights deal for what would have been called The Amiga Center at Kent.

But in recent weeks, the city and company had sparred over details — such as control of advertising in the new arena — and Amiga had offered less money than initially promised, Kent officials said.

By Monday evening, the deal was off, and city officials said they would look for a new sponsor.
"

(Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company)

Read the whole story at The Seattle Times: Amiga fails to deliver cash, loses naming rights to Kent arena
*** edited by DamienD ***

Raid27: can we please try to leave off topic images (especially cats) out of threads?

*edit*

Allright. How bout this: I think they've bitten themselves in the arse this time.

Last edited by Raid27; 31 July 2007 at 20:48.
Old 01 August 2007, 00:37   #13
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Do you think in "two weeks" the money will still appear in Kent's accounts?
Old 01 August 2007, 01:21   #14
CU_AMiGA
Banned

someone should start production of t shirts with a grinning Bill McEwen mugshot and a slogan underneath "2 more weeks!"

Old 01 August 2007, 01:25   #15
CU_AMiGA
Banned

hhhhmmmm looks like Bills lost something.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1980-1984-BILL...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01 August 2007, 02:54   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Thats hilarious!!!!

but personally i think he has a badge for every fictious position in his fictious company!

what has me aching with pain and torment (like a loose tooth) is how anyone can expect ANYTHING from A(_._).ST-inc. Its just like an official to state well we had a general idea of the past of Amiga.inc but we were hopefull of the future for this company... okay... lets look at this.. how the hell can you expect that after all

Amino... same scumm in charge
Amiga.inc (washington) .... same fucktards in charge...
KMOS.... same numpties in charge....
Amiga.Inc (delaware).... same !"£"$% in charge....
Amiga.inc... who knows... but i bet it will be the same in charge.

you know guys (and girls) "and Ironclaw", i am begining to suspect something.
Amiga inc, with its 79 employees world wide (wich was substantially less than a year ago) have manage to produce... absolutlely nothing... infact... other than a complete media circus.... there should be a law agaisnt it LOL.

On another matter Kents city council should seriously be taken in hand, well atleast the mayor for all the pomp and false fanfare... I seriously believe that had it not of been for the concerend amigan, the city of Kent would of been fleeced out of a convention center!
Old 01 August 2007, 10:44   #17
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_AMiGA View Post
hhhhmmmm looks like Bills lost something.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1980-1984-BILL...QQcmdZViewItem

MEGALOL!!!!!!!
Old 01 August 2007, 12:06   #18
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

I'm starting to warm to Bill 'I'm full of sh*t' McEwan! ?

I think he is one of this world's great unsung comic geniuses!

How else could a man I have never met, non-the-less, keep me so thoroughly entertained through these dark days..?

More power to you Bill! I sincerely look forward to your next comic escapade with bated breath.

*EDIT*
Would any of the Mods be interested in setting up a sub-forum?
"Billie's latest plan:"
or
"Two more weeks..."
Ideas for better titles?

Does all this remind anyone else of the cartoon: Pinky and the Brain?

Last edited by Charlie; 01 August 2007 at 12:21. Reason: Not enough punctuation..!
Old 07 August 2007, 21:27   #19
fairlanefastbck

Thumbs down What's in a name? Not Amiga

http://www.kentreporter.com/jumpstor...bdate=8/4/2007

What's in a name? Not Amiga
by Steve Hunter
The search has started for a new naming rights sponsor for the Kent Events Center.

City officials ended the naming rights agreement with Amiga, Inc., on Tuesday when the computer software company failed to make an initial payment of $2.5 million by the set deadline of July 30.

Amiga, with offices in Issaquah and New York, agreed in April to pay $10 million over 20 years, including an initial payment of $2.5 million when construction started.

Construction started this week on the $73.8 million arena, thanks to a final vote on the cost by the City Council last week.

With Amiga out, city officials don’t appear overly stressed about finding another suitor for the center’s name.

“There’s been so much interest generated in the facility that it will be a short period of time before it happens,” Council member Ron Harmon predicated Tuesday about the potential to find a new sponsor. “It renews interest in the center for someone to step up to the plate.”

Amiga President Bill McEwen did not answer or return several phone calls from the Reporter that were left at his Issaquah office. In May, McEwen told the Reporter that his company had the money to make that upfront payment.

But during negotiations between the city and Amiga over the last few weeks, Amiga officials responded to the city by asking to make a reduced payment, City Administrator John Hodgson said. City officials wouldn’t lower the amount.

City officials originally asked Amiga make the initial payment before the first day of construction because news reports showed the company had a history of financial troubles. The company, with McEwen at the helm, agreed to the request.

“It’s disappointing the agreement couldn’t be adhered to as originally proposed,” Harmon said. “But it’s an opportunity to pursue another avenue.”

The events center, slated to open in December 2008, will be the new home of the Seattle Thunderbirds of the Western Hockey League. The Thunderbirds now play at KeyArena in Seattle. The center also will be a venue for concerts, graduation ceremonies and other events — with projections at 120 events per year.

Council member Tim Clark, who declined to comment on the failed agreement with Amiga but was willing to talk about future prospects for the center, said he expects the city will find another namesake.

“I’m optimistic,” Clark said. “There are not that many live-event venues in South County. With the prosperity we’ve seen at Kent Station, there will be heavy traffic at the events center.”

Finding a company willing to pay as much as Amiga had promised could be a challenge.

“I don’t think we’ll get someone to pay that amount of money,” Clark said. “It will be difficult to find someone to pay $2 million all at once.”

Despite the potential loss of the namin- rights money, the events center will be built. Most of the funds will be from bonds issued by the city that will be paid back over 30 years from revenue raised at the center.

“It’s not a project-stopper,” Harmon said. “We’ve got to move on.”

Contact Steve Hunter at 253-872-6724 or steve.hunter@kentreporter.com.

Old 07 August 2007, 21:32   #20
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlanefastbck View Post
Amiga President Bill McEwen did not answer or return several phone calls from the Reporter that were left at his Issaquah office. In May, McEwen told the Reporter that his company had the money to make that upfront payment.
Sums him and Amiga Inc. up very nicely methinks.