English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 October 2013, 13:44   #21
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Jungle strike is enhanced (sound i guess with 2mb of ram). sprite size is a problem for OCS ECS machines.
Old 31 October 2013, 13:47   #22
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
So what is the difference between 1MB Jungle Strike and 2MB Jungle Strike? Why would they make two versions if they are identical? Is it a scam?
I'd suppose something about smoothness?

Perhaps lordofchaos (or anyone else wanting to do so) could make a comparison video between the two versions

Maybe Codetapper, who did the Whdload install might have a better idea:
http://whdload.de/games/JungleStrike.html

Quote:
Note that the AGA game does not need the AGA chipset, it works fine on an ECS Amiga with 2Mb of chip mem!
It was only 12 years ago, so he should have no trouble remembering at all
Old 31 October 2013, 14:07   #23
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That doesn't mean it would still work on an ECS machine. Someone with in-depth Amiga knowledge should answer best, but number of colours, parallax and shit like that are not the ONLY defining reasons why a production might be AGA only. Size of sprites, blitter capabilities, no idea. There COULD be reasons why. Guessing is just pointless. All I say is that JPII IDOES look like it could be benefiting from the upgraded A1200 hardware.

Genesis conversions are not always possible straight to ECS ("quick and dirty"), but on the A1200 they were more feasible (reason why Aladdin and Lion King are in AGA)

So what is the difference between 1MB Jungle Strike and 2MB Jungle Strike? Why would they make two versions if they are identical? Is it a scam?
The main title page is a bit diferent... Lesser shades of green on the 1MB ECS title...

About JPIII, you're right, maybe the sprites could explain the AGA-only thing. But yet again, they could have done better job and I think they did only a quick port without searching to maximize the AGA/CD32 capabilities. When I'm thinking of peoples who bought the "super powerful world first CD 32 bits console" at that time, they surely were a lot disapointed to see the games on this machine was'nt on par with the little and supposedly old fashioned 16bits consoles... (Remember Commodore marketing... and all the magazines with ridiculous hardware comparison at that time... Truth is the games on Megadrive/Mega CD are far better and seems much more colorful then any of they CD32 counterpart, except for Microcosm.. Check Flink, JP2, Chuck Rock 2, Wonderdog )
Still a good games however... but a little deception for me when I saw it recently.

EDIT :
JP3's preview in The One, 55, april 1993 :
Quote:
Development of Pond III is leading on the A1200 for release in may, with a standard amiga version following in september. [...]. What will and what won't have to be changed to get the game to work on an A600 is still being decided but one thing that is likely to be very diferent is the scrolling. In 50 frames per seconds it zooms all over the shop in a full 360° complete with parrallaxed backgrounds. As Ian put ""it's a very, very fast scroll. We reckon is twice as fast as Sonic. I'm not sure yet wether we can achieve it on the normal Amiga but we'll give it a go".

Last edited by sokolovic; 31 October 2013 at 14:27.
Old 31 October 2013, 20:23   #24
sokolovic

Dungeon Master II is another game labellised as AGA but that is working on any amiga with 68020 and 2MB.