English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 April 2020, 19:56   #1
softwarefailure

Glitchy Protracker playback through AHI on WinUAE

Protracker playback through AHI seems to have lots of glitches on WinUAE for me. On real hardware there are no glitches. It's probably a configuration error on my side but I don't seem to get it right so I'm asking for help. This is my configuration:

And here is a test program. On real hardware this has no glitches:
https://easyupload.io/g1d3bc

After 30 seconds or so it's getting really glitchy here. It looks like there's a sound glitch whenever there's the slightest activity on the Windows side. Any ideas how to solve this?
Old 03 April 2020, 22:59   #2
DamienD
disengaged

Don't use "DirectSound", try "WASAPI" instead
Old 03 April 2020, 23:38   #3
softwarefailure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Don't use "DirectSound", try "WASAPI" instead
Still the same glitches...
Old 04 April 2020, 00:08   #4
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarefailure View Post
Still the same glitches...
Ok, might help if you post your configuration file and full logs when the issue occurs.
Old 04 April 2020, 09:41   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

AHI takes heaps of cpu power. It is possible that the Winuae config gives less power than the real machine. Activate JIT and "Fastest possible" to see if this is the case.
Old 04 April 2020, 12:01   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Check also if you have same glitches when using emulated sound card like Toccata.

But yeah, AHI can require lots of CPU power. Make also sure you have exact same AHI version, different versions require different amounts of CPU power.

btw, "real hardware" equals "not enough information" because used CPU, card and driver can make a difference..
Old 23 May 2020, 12:39   #7
softwarefailure

Ok, I found the culprit: It was the "CPU Idle" slider. This was set all the way to the right. When I changed this to all the way to the left, the sound playback is fine.

I think that design-wise this section in the GUI is a little confusing because you'd expect that a slider all the way to the right means "maximum performance" but of course that's not the case here because we're talking about IDLE here, in which case of course the slider must be at its leftmost position for least idle and thus maximum performance.

I think it's even more confusing because there is a separate option in the CPU tab named "Fastest possible" but this is very misleading because only activating this option certainly won't give you the fastest possible CPU... you also need to set CPU Idle to the left! But few people probably know this so I think it would be more intuitive if there was a "Fastest possible" option that would automatically apply all those fine-tuning settings as well. Many people possibly only have "Fastest possible" activated and think that this is as fast as it gets without knowing that WinUAE can pull off a much better performance by setting CPU Idle to 0! So IMHO, "Fastest Possible" should set CPU Idle to 0 as well because only that will give you the best performance...

Ideally, of course, I'd prefer if WinUAE was automatically able to take the CPU it needs. Setting CPU Idle to the left will hog the CPU but apparently it is the only way to give WinUAE the ultimate power. When I set it all the way to the right, sound is choppy and CPU-intensive programs almost stall completely every few seconds which is very confusing (and first made me believe that there was an error in my code until I noticed that it's a WinUAE problem).

So from a user point of view it's currently rather cumbersome because when using WinUAE for development I set the CPU Idle slider all the way to right because I don't want WinUAE to hog the CPU. When testing my CPU intensive program, however, I have to open the options and change CPU Idle to all the way to the left again. So I have to constantly switch back and forth between "no CPU idle" and "full CPU idle"... that's a bit annoying but I'm not sure if it can be implemented in a more intelligent way...
Old 23 May 2020, 16:14   #8
DamienD
disengaged

softwarefailure; from my tests when setting "Fastest possible" the "CPU Ide" slider is always at the left most position.

Simple test for you:
  • Go to "Quickstart", select and set an "A1200".
  • Go to "CPU and FPU" and now select "Fastest possible".
  • The "CPU Ide" slider becomes enabled but is still in far left position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarefailure View Post
So from a user point of view it's currently rather cumbersome because when using WinUAE for development I set the CPU Idle slider all the way to right because I don't want WinUAE to hog the CPU. When testing my CPU intensive program, however, I have to open the options and change CPU Idle to all the way to the left again. So I have to constantly switch back and forth between "no CPU idle" and "full CPU idle"... that's a bit annoying but I'm not sure if it can be implemented in a more intelligent way...
How exactly? You're the one constantly messing around with this slider to suit your needs...