English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 April 2011, 10:31   #1
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Matt Chat 98: Scott Miller Interview Pt. 1

Hi guys,

Matt did an interview with Scott Miller of Apogee fame. They cover quite a few of topics, from Star Trek/Wars to DRM. Enjoy

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 April 2011, 20:46   #2
laffer
Zone Friend

Great interview, really looking forwards to the next part... always had a thing for Apogee, even back when I mainly used my Amiga... despite Apogee games sounding and looking a lot worse than good Amiga games.

I especially liked the Keen series... which was of course developed by iD, but back then I didn't know/care much about those things and I always associated it with Apogee.

Secret Agent is pretty fun as well, and the two first Duke games aren't bad (of course Duke 3D is a lot better, though).
Old 18 April 2011, 23:04   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Apogee ftw!

Raptor, Halloween Harry, Bio Menace, Keen, OMF 2097, Wolf3D, Death Rally, Rise of the Triad, all the cute puzzle games... nearly everything they made/financed was great stuff. Apogee + Epic Megagames equaled good PC gaming in those days.

Huh, didn't even know there was a Windows remake of Raptor.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/raptor...of-the-shadows

Still one of my favorite vertical shooters!
Old 21 April 2011, 11:53   #4
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Matt Chat crosses the magical three digits line after the next episode (wild guess Scott Miller Interview Pt. 2).

What will it be like? Will there be vampires? Will we see Peter Molineux in a leopard tanga? A video conference with Richard Gariott and John Carmack in space? Matt reciting Dunsany? Only time will tell...
Old 21 April 2011, 17:42   #5
mattbarton.exe

Hehehe...Who knows what will happen when we cross that threshold???
Old 21 April 2011, 19:05   #6
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Apogee ftw!

Raptor, Halloween Harry, Bio Menace, Keen, OMF 2097, Wolf3D, Death Rally, Rise of the Triad, all the cute puzzle games... nearly everything they made/financed was great stuff. Apogee + Epic Megagames equaled good PC gaming in those days.
I didn't play ANY of those games back then I was Amiga only for 10 years so i never really exposed myself much to that era of PC gaming, but looking back it was THE best era for it and as much as i hate to admit it, the PC was actually great then, but i was in denial mode.
Old 21 April 2011, 19:30   #7
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I'm still thinking about those franchises that lend themselves to game conversions and others that don't. The examples don't make much sense to me. Indiana Jones and Star Trek spawned quite a few great games imo. I do agree that action movies are generally well suited when you have an action game in mind.
Old 22 April 2011, 18:13   #8
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
Hehehe...Who knows what will happen when we cross that threshold???
Special beer drinking from the horn?
Old 23 April 2011, 17:20   #9
int21h

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Hi guys,

Matt did an interview with Scott Miller of Apogee fame. They cover quite a few of topics, from Star Trek/Wars to DRM. Enjoy

[ Show youtube player ]
I refuse to be informed about existence of endeavours like yours so late.

I mean, all of the things I like PlUS horn of brew?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Keep up good work
Old 23 April 2011, 18:06   #10
mattbarton.exe

I'm in the same pickle, Blade002. I didn't get a PC until well into the 90s, after 97 came out IIRC. I thus missed out on the peak of the DOS era and the explosion of 3D stuff. It's a bit sad, really. I remember at one point my dad and I discussing whether we should buy an Amiga 3000 (this was just before AGA) or a clone. It was a TOUGH call. We ended up going with the 3000, though I'm sad to say it would have been better going with the clone, since Commodore had all but dried up at that point. Still, I had more fun with that 3000 than any machine I've had before or since.
Old 23 April 2011, 20:32   #11
desiv

I love my Amigas, and stuck with them thru my Amiga 1200 days, but I also got into PCs.
Mostly because I was helping people build/upgrade theirs and I usually got hand me downs.
(I had an XT with a 286 card once.. ;-)

So I got to play with both. Although I never had a cutting edge PC (still to this day, my PCs are all really old), I remember playing the Commander Keen and Duke side scrollers.
They weren't Amiga quality, but they were still fun. Especially when you considered what the PC had at the time...
I do remember finally thinking the PC had caught up to the Amiga (more or less, and this was just my impression) with Jazz Jackrabbit... That was a quality looking game, and fast.

I was never really a huge Wolfenstein 3D fan, although it was impressive...
But Doom did catch me and even I liked it.. ;-)
In fact, when we were upgrading our PCs at the office at the time, we picked VGA cards that played Doom better. It was about $20 more per card, so maybe $200 total, but the Office Manager loved him some Doom too..
I had more fun gaming on my Amigas, but there were some nice PC games I remember.
I actually played Gobliiins first on my PC with my 1X CDROM!!! WooHoo!! ;-)
(Someone upgraded to a 2X, so I got the hand-me down)

By then, I was starting to make money using the PC as well, so ....

Anyway, great interviews!!

desiv
Old 23 April 2011, 23:30   #12
gilgamesh
Linux snob

And part 2 has arrived:
[ Show youtube player ]

The only Apogee game that I've played was ROTT. It was - weird. Weird in a good sense. Very surreal and impressive. I have DN3D sitting on an untouched CD. It's about time to play it.

We had a lengthy discussion of the nudity in DN3D in school. Yeah, really. It was about politics and women's rights, and somebody mentioned it in class. Trolling clearly existed before the web.

On SoftDisk
Quote:
a kind of militant organization - they read all the fan mail and everything...