English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 27 August 2009, 15:02   #21
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
I propose this Social Group to be canceled, as its obvious purpose is to encourage people to make provocative & annoying posts in OTS.
are you serious? Do what you want with the group (or any other, for me they all may be cancelled because they are completely useless) but if you think it encouraged anyone to anything you must be nuts...
Old 27 August 2009, 15:15   #22
Marcuz

yes the purpose was to encourage mutiny...
Old 27 August 2009, 15:24   #23
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
why not use your brain to raise the bar by balancing ghey jokes with ones aimed at straight people, lol cat pictures with lol dog ones, and so on.
And if you were to use your brain, you would realise, that that is not balance at all. If you seriously think a good way of reducing ghey jokes is to post straight jokes (and the same for cats/dogs) then...

Oh dear.
Old 27 August 2009, 15:44   #24
Paul_s

FFS, can we have the old EAB server back please?

Sure, it had less space on the HDD's, CPU powerz and bus speed but for the love of god everything was normal!

Old 27 August 2009, 16:34   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Finally, too much moderation kills fair moderation, INMHO all these people with a mod status rushing in OTS lately should be ashamed of themselves; and if it was my forum, they would be temporary denied of perpetuating further similar "countermeasures" (when you hear the "when green turns to blue" chorus it will be too late , to make a good word out of a Rolling Stones song).
Does that mean a mod can't post in OTS? Oh you mean he can't post pics of a potato in every OTS thread. This dicussion mixes two different topics IMHO. I think the potato incident is pretty much sorted (hopefully) and we're talking about the 'everyday routine' in the last year(s) (which I was indeed a part of). It's the recurring drivel that gets tiresome after some time. Noone really cared about that until now and the point is what should be done about it (if anything at all).
Old 27 August 2009, 16:45   #26
skateblind
Village Idiot

Funny or silly things should be ok, but posting just random stuff like my, "I need a cake" thread, should not be ok. We have all done it, some more than others, some a lot more than that even. I think we just need to act our age and for some people that is a LOT of growing up to do.

Banana Hammock.
Old 27 August 2009, 16:53   #27
BippyM
Global Moderator

The potato thing was only an issue because there were so many "reported posts" which is ridiculous considering these guys will post anything over and over in on-topic threads not to mention the OT threads..
Old 27 August 2009, 17:09   #28
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
The potato thing was only an issue because there were so many "reported posts" which is ridiculous considering these guys will post anything over and over in on-topic threads not to mention the OT threads..
the potato thing may have been funny to a point but it got slightly out of hand being posted/ruining every thread in existence for no reason at all. Why couldn't we just keep the pics to one thread instead

I noticed EAB was slow(er) due to the potato threads as well. When keropi for example says 'ghey' that doesn't generate 2MB's worth of in-line images to my computer Plus, people can 'ignore' users with VBB if I'm not mistaken so they don't have to put up with anyone they don't like etc.

Are there any posts in particular in on-topic threads that are deemed off-topic? If so, I'd be interested to see them... and if OTS people post OTS in OT posts then why didn't the Potato spammers post potatoes all over the forum to prove their point?

I'm just off to france now to put a potato on the eab server.
Old 27 August 2009, 17:22   #29
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Once again. (Not entirely sure why so many people are unable to grasp this...)

Reason for potatoes was not for fun or enjoyment.

They've raised the issue we wanted to raise and now it's being dealt with. Objective achieved.
Old 27 August 2009, 17:43   #30
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
They've raised the issue we wanted to raise and now it's being dealt with. Objective achieved.
sorry, you sound so cool when you say that...
Old 27 August 2009, 18:15   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
DH are you offering?
@bippy,

If that isn't what DH intended, then I would offer myself in that role.

I am a sane, but open-minded, person who enjoys a good bit of fun as much as the next person (check my profile ). However, I must warn you that I would not tolerate the out-and-out childishness that I have witnessed in OTS lately.
Old 27 August 2009, 18:26   #32
Bloodwych

Oh here we go again. I've been a member at this board for a long time and as others know, this subject has popped up before. RCK got involved last time and we ended up with the OT stupidity section and the separate OT search at the top of the forum.

Now, I've read every post above but I'm not going to quote names.

The idea of taking it elsewhere. This happened in the past due to similar requests - we had new forums that were opened up by EAB members called Junk Talk etc where many (including me) went for a bit of fun, but after the initial interest they became dead so we ended up with the occasional thread back at EAB.

This is a community website and although the Amiga is what brings us together, I think it's nice to have forum space to kick back and have some random pointless fun. I like the social groups; I like OT stupidity. Yes there are other forums for such stuff, but there are some great people on this forum I enjoy interacting with.

My take on it is so simple. So simple I can't understand why we can't do it (some of you may have already read this from the past - it's a cut and paste):

So I'll re-iterate - I actually like the Off-Topic stupidity section. Not all the time, but if I'm in a funny mood I do enjoy a delve in there.

However, people do have a good point that some of the threads there are pure spam, insulting to certain individuals and mess up the board when looking at general off-topic posts. Clicking off-topic at the top of the forum produces what looks like pure spam. It's a difficult one to police however for the mods and constant pain in the backside for them I'm sure.

My solution would be to remove off-topic stupidity from the off topic search at the top of the forum. The ONLY way to access off topic stupidity is from its tiny link at the bottom of the forum or an opt in service, like the zone is currently setup or social groups. Then only the people who use it will see it. Everyone else on the board will be oblivious to its existence.

An opt in group is probably best, like the zone or social groups, people have to join off-topic stupidity to see and post in it. This would be the best solution in my opinion and similar forum sections exists at another Amiga board, segregated from the main forum searches.

This won't be a problem because it's the same people who use it most the time and they can invite anyone who's not aware of it. Plus it can auto clean itself every few weeks so the mods can just ignore it.

Make it a private forum opt in area (best solution) or let it be accessed from the tiny link at the bottom. Do not include the posts in there in the main Off Topic search used by everyone at the top of the forum. Problem solved (well, in my mind anyway)
Old 27 August 2009, 18:33   #33
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I propose this Social Group to be canceled
Phew! For one moment there I thought you were proposing to cancel this one!
Old 27 August 2009, 18:47   #34
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Bloodwych: why not just use a social group then? Does exactly what you've suggested.
Old 27 August 2009, 18:57   #35
Bloodwych

A good point KG, but social groups have restrictions compared to a regular forum.

You can't have separate themed threads for instance, just posts.

Anyway, that's my bit pitched in. I'm staying put no matter what changes are made.
Old 27 August 2009, 19:04   #36
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
A good point KG, but social groups have restrictions compared to a regular forum.

You can't have separate themed threads for instance, just posts.

Anyway, that's my bit pitched in. I'm staying put no matter what changes are made.
Good point.

Glad your sticking around, need some KGLoad exposure
Old 27 August 2009, 21:04   #37
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Once again. (Not entirely sure why so many people are unable to grasp this...)

Reason for potatoes was not for fun or enjoyment.

But why pick on potatoes? What did they ever do to you?

This thread is comedy gold
Old 27 August 2009, 21:07   #38
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I picked them because they were mundane, had no attached comedy value, and because they are hugely non-offensive.

It was a calculated choice
Old 27 August 2009, 21:09   #39
Paul_s

I still don't get it. I guess that's because I wasn't at the IRC convention. Be nice to see the chat log...
Old 27 August 2009, 21:11   #40
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

There's not really anything to get...

I was annoyed with the amount of spam in the forum, and was discussing it in the mod section, and was getting nowhere, so I said "so you won't mind if I post pictures of potatoes in every other post then".

And that's what happened.