English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 July 2023, 06:53   #1
koobo

Tankkk renamed to TankX and updated (after 27 years)

Hi,

The tank combat game Tankkk has been updated after a slight delay. It is now called TankX, and supports 7 simultaneous players (up from 4). Many other improvements have been made as well, see the readme for all the details.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tankx2.png
Views:	498
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	79727

This version was developed in co-operation with the https://www.amigalive.com discord-community, who provided improvements ideas, testing, new battlefields and in-game music. Cheers!

Check out AmigaLive for some TankX online mayhem!
Old 26 July 2023, 09:49   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you for the update
Old 27 July 2023, 18:56   #3
Megalomaniac

If nothing else, the change of name will please the guy on LemonAmiga who accused the game of racism due to the KKK in the name....
Old 27 July 2023, 20:00   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
If nothing else, the change of name will please the guy on LemonAmiga who accused the game of racism due to the KKK in the name....
Yes
Old 27 July 2023, 20:09   #5
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
That's modern times for you
The name change was a preventative measure. The LemonAmiga entry is very recent (https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3087) and actually appeared after I already had renamed the game to TankX in May.

I also modified one of the original battlefields which contained something that looked like a very well known symbol.

EDIT: It was something that looked like a religious symbol.

Last edited by koobo; 28 July 2023 at 06:49.
Old 27 July 2023, 21:04   #6
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
That's modern times for you
The name change was a preventative measure. The LemonAmiga entry is very recent (https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3087) and actually appeared after I already had renamed the game to TankX in May.

I also modified one of the original battlefields which contained something that looked like a very well known symbol.
"KKK" and "something that looked like a very well known symbol" and you still argue that it was pure coincidence? Mmmmkay.
Old 27 July 2023, 21:16   #7
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
"KKK" and "something that looked like a very well known symbol" and you still argue that it was pure coincidence? Mmmmkay.
I'm sad to see that the discussion veered into this direction here as well
You should consider the facts at hand lest you look like a troll.

The field with the "well known" symbol is obviously something you have not seen, and furthermore it was not even drawn by me, but a friend. We were all 16 at the time.
Old 27 July 2023, 21:23   #8
koobo

Some historical background for those who did not check the LemonAmiga-link above or actually played the game: Tankkk/TankX is a port of the MSDOS game Tankkk, which can be seen here: https://archive.org/details/tankkk
Old 27 July 2023, 22:05   #9
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
And now imagine "KKK" is also a well known brand of automotive turbochargers. Some people are just weird with their associations.

We will add TankX to Lemon as well.
Old 27 July 2023, 22:43   #10
DisasterIncarna

its a weird one alright, name now sounds like https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/tanx and gamewise looks like https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/tank-attack-pd
Old 27 July 2023, 23:02   #11
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thanks for creating this game koobo. I played it a lot when it was featured on an Amiga Power coverdisk.
Old 27 July 2023, 23:13   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Some people are just weird with their associations.
No they are not weird, some people have a terrible history connected to things that you do not, and calling them weird just shows how little you care about anyone else's struggles and trauma.

Old 27 July 2023, 23:26   #13
Tpod

The Snow flake generation (along with others of the same mindset) seem to be ready to pounce on anything or anyone that, there is even the remotest chance could be some kind of phobic/prejudice.

The problem with this is lots (potentially even the majority the way its going) of people who they pounce on are in fact not phobic/prejudice at all. Being falsely accused of anything is genuinely very hurtful but there seems to be little or no concern or compassion from the snowflakes for those they falsely accuse.

Thanks for the game update & all the HippoPlayer updates Koobo it's much appreciated.
Old 27 July 2023, 23:27   #14
BSzili
old chunk of coal

The only struggle they have is getting offended on behalf of others, who will never care about the titles of Amiga games.
Old 27 July 2023, 23:31   #15
Amiga1992

Great to see this "community" filled with unsavory characters that have no regard for the sensibilities of other human lives they might not agree with.

Old 30 July 2023, 01:37   #16
ztronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1992 View Post
No they are not weird, some people have a terrible history connected to things that you do not, and calling them weird just shows how little you care about anyone else's struggles and trauma.

I doubt a tripple K emphasized at the last letter in a game title would affect anyone's trauma... some people just want to stir things up all the time...
some people just want to see the world burn..

Besides, its not Koobo's fault for the title as he ported the MSDOS game under the same name for Amiga...

PS. its unfair to judge a game by the title and giving bad score without playing it even once
PS2. I hope the new title will satisfy even the weirdest of people

Last edited by ztronzo; 30 July 2023 at 01:42.
Old 30 July 2023, 01:38   #17
ztronzo

Great game Koobo!!! its definitely a multiplayer sensation! It needs more love now, hey we might even make a tournament on it some day... I will try to convince the tournament organizers to add it in the voting list :-)
Old 30 July 2023, 07:46   #18
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztronzo View Post
I doubt a tripple K emphasized at the last letter in a game title would affect anyone's trauma... some people just want to stir things up all the time...
some people just want to see the world burn..
Rule 68 (v2) of internet: if exist someone is offended by it
Old 30 July 2023, 07:47   #19
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1992 View Post
Great to see this "community" filled with unsavory characters that have no regard for the sensibilities of other human lives they might not agree with.

Hey, most of us are X-ers, we are just returning the favor to the world we did grew up on, that DGAF about our sensibilities to begin with
Old 30 July 2023, 20:57   #20
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
And now imagine "KKK" is also a well known brand of automotive turbochargers.
Okay, so the green lobby will be offended by it too?

But seriously, I doubt there was any racist intent in the name. were the Klan that well known outside America, even among people who would have been their 'targets' in America? Genuine racism is deeply offensive to me, and should be deeply offensive to all of us, but I doubt that this was genuine racism.