English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 May 2006, 07:07   #1
z00mba

latest Scalos with OS 3.9 in WINuae 1.2

Hi,

Does anyone ever tried to install the lastest Scalos Beta with OS 3.9? I just installed it on a fresh OS 3.9 + BB2 + MUI 3.8 but I'm getting nothing but problems... after reboot I don't have any menu anywhere.

I can't run Scalos executable because it says it can't find muimaster.library (wich is correctly installed, other MUI apps works fine). I can't run any of the Scalos prefs programs because they complains about "can't create xxxx module" (where xxxx may vary...).

I tried to run SnoopDos from shell (AmiDock still working, just no menu) but now I have a message : "not enough memory to start snoopdos" (yeah sure).

Finally I replaced LoadWB byt the backup one and rebooted... and all I have now is a blank screen with "Workbench Title" and nothing else :/

Fresh system install screwed. Oh well, anyone have experience with *this* Scalos?
Old 10 May 2006, 07:46   #2
z00mba

Finnaly I got some progress and now Scalos is running (some MUI classes was missing and the menu.prefs were not copied during installation). Anyway it's really buggy and not very fast (much more slower than versions 1.2x) tho there is some interesting features and GUI improvement.

I still have a lot of problems with it, sometimes I can't move windows, sometimes windows won't open anymore (you closed it for good... lol). The program gave me a few guru meditation too. Anyone have a better experience with it? On wich system/config?

On the other side the slapsh screen is anoying and the new logo is really awfull :P

That's the second apps continued as OpenSource on the Amiga about wich I'm really disapointed (the other one being Dopus 4.x, none of the version released as OpenSource working on my system, they just crash when I try to load them, the old commercial version works perfectly tho).
Old 10 May 2006, 07:48   #3
woody57

If 76 is your real age then your the only one in here older than ME !

I can't say I have tried the new Scalos with 3.9 but since it's meant to be a workbench replacement & it's obvious since your copy was unable to find correctly located libraries that it's time to question the source.

Is there a site link for this version ? & what configeration machine are you running it on ? All these extra pieces of information will help others to answer your enquirey better
Old 10 May 2006, 07:53   #4
z00mba

Ah no I'm not 76

I got the latest Scalos BETA from the official site (scalos.noname.fr)
It's version 1.5.

I'm running WinUAE 1.2 (for room purpose my Amigas are sleeping in the garage... don't hit me please )

EDIT: I just realised Scalos instantly eats 8 to 10Mb of RAM when launched! This is HUGE!
I configured UAE with 16Mb of FAST RAM so maybe it's a memory problem. I'll try it with 32MB and test further.

Last edited by z00mba; 10 May 2006 at 07:59.
Old 10 May 2006, 08:07   #5
woody57

Have retitled & moved thread to winuae forum
Old 11 May 2006, 04:04   #6
cronos

I currently use the latest beta version with WinUAE under OS3.9, which I have manually copied across from previous beta's. Overall, Scalos seems very stable and works without any issues.

It seems that it can take a long time to open the 'scalos prefs' window. But, this may be because I am running a torrent client in the background..

You can disable the ugly (or annoying) splash screen from the scalos prefs screen under 'startup'.

As for Directory Opus 4.x... I currently use version 14.7pre14, which seems to work ok. Although my version may not be configured properly..
Old 11 May 2006, 09:17   #7
z00mba

Oh, what ROM are you using? The relocated 3.9 ROM or anything else? On top of wich ROM? I tried 3.1 (A1200) and 3.5 myself. With or without the ROM 3.9 patch.

Does Scalos eat a lot of memory on your system too?

Here I still have problems with folder windows not moving/opening/closing at random time (sometimes it works, sometimes not), guru when I try to open a shell window (all the time), scalos eating more and more memory until I have none left (it uses 10Mb when loading then it seams to not free up any block as it operate until I have no free memory left). Random gurus.

I haven't tried DOPUS 4.17 because of the problem I mentioned with 4.16 and since 4.17 is a beta version and 4.16 a stable release I didn't bothered. I'll give it a look, thanks for the advice.
Old 11 May 2006, 11:10   #8
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

I tried it and it's more an alpha than a beta at this stage but features are great so far
Old 11 May 2006, 12:52   #9
z00mba

Yeah I think it has some very nice features but I have a strange feeling about it. First it's really very buggy (not stable) and ultra slow, also it requires an undescent amount of memory. Finaly I think it's bloated.

My conclusion is it's very different than the original Scalos, and in a more general way it's far away from the AmigaOS 'spirit'. It looks like more they want to make it look like WindowsXP.

Maybe it's just me tho, anyway I'm really disapointed by this version.
Old 11 May 2006, 14:59   #10
cronos

I have used both 3.1 and 3.5 ROMS. I have also patched AmigaOS3.9 with BoingBag 1 and 2, as well as the unofficial OS3.9 update patch that is available on the Aminet.

As for memory usage... I was not aware how much memory is used until you brought the topic up. It seems that at least 8mb of memory is wasted, which is a lot. My memory also seems to drain whenever I open/close Windows, etc.

I haven't really been able to test opening a shell via 'execute' command, because I changed the resolution of my Workbench, and MUI seems to display no text or buttons.

Yes, it seems that Scalos developers are trying to make the AmigaOS behave like WindowsXP. But, I don't really see this as a bad thing because Scalos is very customizable. At least Scalos is still in development, so hopefully the nasty bugs will br ironed out.