English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 May 2014, 11:05   #21
Cpt. Hindsight

It's actually quite hard to hit a second button on one of the usual joysticks. I can't imagine how I should do it while holding a Competition Pro in my hands. I could resolder the right button to up direction, but I don't think that would be helpful at all.
Old 27 May 2014, 11:45   #22
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

up to jump doesn't seem so bad on a joystick, on a joypad it's more awkward. I tend to use joypads these days if for no other reason than that they're still easy to come by, but i always used joysticks in the old days. The problem is, i can't actually imagine playing a game like Turrican on a joypad with a button for fire and another for jump, simply because i'm used to being able to jump and fire at the same time, and i've only got one thumb! But playing with up to jump on a joypad is very fiddly, especially on the bits where you have to be very precise.
Old 27 May 2014, 12:01   #23
Specksynder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Funny thing, I recently got one and it's one of the most unwieldy controllers I've ever owned
For real?
I use them since the time of C64, best joystick ever made!
Old 27 May 2014, 12:22   #24
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specksynder View Post
I've always used this one.

Simply perfect
Yes! Perfect to use, but sadly breaks quite easily.

I was always more like TAC-2 user myself, but then my girlfriend wanted Speedking, because she had played with those in childhood. We got one and she was happy. I tried few times and first it didn't feel that I could play with it, but after few times I suddenly fell totally in love on those joysticks! No more thumb injuries even with SWIV It's really comfortable and ergonomic to click button with index finger. Stick has small movement which makes it extremely quick and accurate. Just can't play anything seriously without Speedking anymore

I found unused Sega versions of Speedking with two buttons and autofire on sale in their original boxes and bought 9 of them (Pic). And then we have two one button versions too. Absoutely favourite...

Last edited by jPV; 27 May 2014 at 12:30.
Old 27 May 2014, 12:28   #25
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
up to jump doesn't seem so bad on a joystick, on a joypad it's more awkward. I tend to use joypads these days if for no other reason than that they're still easy to come by, but i always used joysticks in the old days. The problem is, i can't actually imagine playing a game like Turrican on a joypad with a button for fire and another for jump, simply because i'm used to being able to jump and fire at the same time, and i've only got one thumb! But playing with up to jump on a joypad is very fiddly, especially on the bits where you have to be very precise.
Exactly I've always thought that joypads are made to make playing harder. They just aren't suitable for anything. Why you should try to use unsteady flat thumb controller (and even with your weaker left hand!) when you can have proper stick with good grip.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:00   #26
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Exactly I've always thought that joypads are made to make playing harder. They just aren't suitable for anything. Why you should try to use unsteady flat thumb controller (and even with your weaker left hand!) when you can have proper stick with good grip.
Well perhaps there is a good reason that arcade cabinets always had a joystick and never moved onto joypads. Then again, the stick was always on the left with the buttons on the right, you never got a pistol-grip with a trigger button on it. Unless it was a shooting game, but then it was a gun.

Although to be honest i do quite like joypads, and never really got on with arcade-style sticks.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:04   #27
Specksynder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Yes! Perfect to use, but sadly breaks quite easily.

I was always more like TAC-2 user myself, but then my girlfriend wanted Speedking, because she had played with those in childhood. We got one and she was happy. I tried few times and first it didn't feel that I could play with it, but after few times I suddenly fell totally in love on those joysticks! No more thumb injuries even with SWIV It's really comfortable and ergonomic to click button with index finger. Stick has small movement which makes it extremely quick and accurate. Just can't play anything seriously without Speedking anymore

I found unused Sega versions of Speedking with two buttons and autofire on sale in their original boxes and bought 9 of them (Pic). And then we have two one button versions too. Absoutely favourite...
Yep, I agree with you. It's the best joystick to use with Sensible Soccer imo
PS. Could you please tell me where did you buy those joysticks? I'd like to buy a couple (Unused) of them. Any help really much appreciated.
Thank you
Old 27 May 2014, 13:58   #28
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specksynder View Post
Yep, I agree with you. It's the best joystick to use with Sensible Soccer imo
PS. Could you please tell me where did you buy those joysticks? I'd like to buy a couple (Unused) of them. Any help really much appreciated.
Thank you
And SCR, Skidmarks etc

I got them from finnish equivalent for ebay, huuto.net. There were tens of them on sale, someone had found quite a stock of them. No more from same seller, but seems that someone else sells them now, maybe from same origin but with some profit as it's more expensive now (10e).
Old 27 May 2014, 18:19   #29
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Then again, the stick was always on the left with the buttons on the right,
[Wise-nerdy-guy post]

[/Wise-nerdy guy post]
Old 27 May 2014, 18:53   #30
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

ok ok NOT ALL ARCADE CABINETS
Old 27 May 2014, 20:54   #31
Cpt. Hindsight

I wonder at which point joystick on the left and buttons on the right side became the standard in the arcades. Most early arcade cabinets I can remember had a different layout. Space Invaders is the first one I remember that had the stick on the left side, but some early Exidy titles had the stick on the right. Asteroids, Lunar Lander and Astro Fighter on the other hand had buttons to rotate left and right (on the left side), so those were to some point the first pads.
Old 28 May 2014, 01:33   #32
madcap

When I played in arcades, or with my maverick joystick, I always used my left hand on the buttons and my right hand over my left hand gripping the stick on the left. It just felt natural that way
Old 02 June 2014, 20:35   #33
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

The Konix Navigator was the best joystick ever made for the Amiga. I'm thinking of making a joystick similar to the Navigator but using a Sanwa stick.