English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 February 2012, 20:34   #21
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I remember something about this game.. Here is my story

First problem was that it was badly cracked, "dust cloud" (appeared when enemy died) always crashed it. Found and fixed the protection checksum using Action Replay (and I think I patched it on disk later). This probably caused my problems later in game..

I played it long time, very long time without too many problems, it was quite interesting and difficult. Difficult compared to Captive or for example Black Crypt. Playing Warhead without manuals was easier..

Graphician's style also didn't really fit in game's dungeon/castle theme but it was perfect in Captive. IMHO.

Then I got stuck. I don't remember which was the first problem. It was either short railroad track where the cart went back and forwards few steps or the maze (I think there was note that said something like "You'll die of old age")

I think I solved the track part (threw some stuff over the edge), I think "click" was heard but then absolutely nothing happened. After days (?) of trying everything I could think of, it was clearly time to CHEAT! After some Action Replay disassembly I managed to walk through walls. I could continue playing again normally.

Then came the maze (or vice versa) and I got totally stuck. Time to cheat again. Again I could continue. I think this was just a difficult puzzle, not a copy protection issue, I just couldn't bother with it anymore, this game started to annoy me too much.

Final area was filled with ghosts. I mean totally filled with ghosts, each square had a ghost enemy. It was final time to cheat and I found the ending room and saw the ending image and coming soon Captive II screen.

I assumed some of these problems were caused by copy protection remains, maybe now, after about 20 years later, it is time to recheck

No guarantees that I remembered above correctly..
Damn, I don't remember having any technical problems. I think that maze you mentioned is where I gave it up. The game at that point was just not fun. Today, with save states, you tube walkthroughs, and fan made maps, it's a liitle less frustrating. Just a little, though.
Old 12 February 2012, 01:17   #22
Bloodwych

Great story Toni, that Maze rings a bell, especially "You'll Die of Old Age" - perhaps I played it longer than I remember. After all we are talking about someone who finished Bloodwych and the Extended Levels several times.

BigHyorgi good luck with your quests - as Treguard would say, you'll need it! Mwahahahahaha!
Old 12 February 2012, 02:33   #23
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Great story Toni, that Maze rings a bell, especially "You'll Die of Old Age" - perhaps I played it longer than I remember. After all we are talking about someone who finished Bloodwych and the Extended Levels several times.

BigHyorgi good luck with your quests - as Treguard would say, you'll need it! Mwahahahahaha!
I just finished the second quest. I had to restart the level because my characters were all starving. Poisonous bats, wizards that can open doors and spin you around when they hit you, a poisonous snake, and finally a small dragon guard the end of the level. I'd save my progress every 2 minutes. I used a lot of food just exploring the level, so the restart went fairly quickly, and I managed my rabbit pies, spider legs, and biscuits more efficiently. I send my pc video signal to my Samsung 27" CRT via svideo, so tiny things are easier to see. I originally played it on a RCA 14" color set. After I killed all the monsters, I was wondering how to exit the level. Couldn't see anything. Finally had to look at that youtube walkthrough. I'd missed a tiny diamond shaped button at the end of a hall. I'm surprised that a game inspired by a children's tv show is so freaking difficult.
Old 12 February 2012, 18:17   #24
Lord Riton

Quote:
After all we are talking about someone who finished Bloodwych and the Extended Levels several times.
I finished Bloodwych too !

Loved it, despite it's small view, and only a less than averadge technichal realisation. But always loved RPGs in such giant mazes

Unfortunatly i never could pick up the extended levels, no store had it at the time i wanted it . Found it later, much later, whith WinUAE on PC. I remember having problems to save, somehow i managed to make it work, and then used savestates. But saddly i didn't play till the end, i lost a save somehow, and had not the patience to restart it. I certenly would have finished it too, if i had found it at the time when i still played on my real Amiga, 15 years agoo.
Old 12 February 2012, 18:45   #25
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
I finished Bloodwych too !

Loved it, despite it's small view, and only a less than averadge technichal realisation.
It really was designed to be played two player - I've played the PC version one player but after half an hour I realized the game really loses out without a partner in crime. Plus the PC music started to do my head in!

Big advantage of Bloodwych was no loading whatsoever - they crammed the whole game into 512MB meaning you could fly around the maze at lightening speed. We used to always have races to get back to doors and find keys, bagsy the best stuff. Also races to kill monsters as that meant leveling up.

Then there were the death matches, locking arc bolts behind doors, accidently killing your friend with Witchwind or letting a Summon upon them.

Nice to hear you're making it through Knightmare. I bet few have finished it without cheating in some way.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 12 February 2012 at 22:17.
Old 12 February 2012, 20:25   #26
BigHyorgi

Quote:

Nice to hear you're making it through Knightmare. I bet few have finished it without cheating in some way.
Well, I'm maybe a quarter of the way into level 3. I just spent a half an hour battling a dozen skeletons. This game can be extremely tedious, as well.
Old 03 March 2012, 10:36   #27
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHyorgi View Post
Yes, Captive was the better game. More balanced. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. There was even a bug in the game. Something to do with a door code. The right code was released to some amiga magazine, I think, and I was able to finish it.
Just hi jack this thread for a minute.

If I have a go at Captive I assume I will need that code, is there anywhere that has anything about it including the code ?
Old 15 March 2012, 19:07   #28
BigHyorgi

Have you googled? It's got to be out there somewhere. Hell, I might replay it.
Old 15 March 2012, 19:12   #29
Washac

Quote:
Have you googled? It's got to be out there somewhere. Hell, I might replay it.
In a word, yes......
Old 15 March 2012, 20:27   #30
BippyM
Global Moderator

The code is commonplace (check my link above!!)

Also v1.2 in tosec has the codes fixed
Old 15 March 2012, 20:56   #31
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
The code is commonplace (check my link above!!)

Also v1.2 in tosec has the codes fixed
Sorry to sound maybe stupid but I know that site and have read through the bugs section, where is the code ?
Old 15 March 2012, 23:14   #32
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Sorry to sound maybe stupid but I know that site and have read through the bugs section, where is the code ?
http://www.snoogans.co.uk/stuff/captive/captive.htm
Old 16 March 2012, 11:19   #33
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
Thank you
Old 20 March 2012, 18:29   #34
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I remember something about this game.. Here is my story

First problem was that it was badly cracked, "dust cloud" (appeared when enemy died) always crashed it. Found and fixed the protection checksum using Action Replay (and I think I patched it on disk later). This probably caused my problems later in game..

I played it long time, very long time without too many problems, it was quite interesting and difficult. Difficult compared to Captive or for example Black Crypt. Playing Warhead without manuals was easier..

Graphician's style also didn't really fit in game's dungeon/castle theme but it was perfect in Captive. IMHO.

Then I got stuck. I don't remember which was the first problem. It was either short railroad track where the cart went back and forwards few steps or the maze (I think there was note that said something like "You'll die of old age")

I think I solved the track part (threw some stuff over the edge), I think "click" was heard but then absolutely nothing happened. After days (?) of trying everything I could think of, it was clearly time to CHEAT! After some Action Replay disassembly I managed to walk through walls. I could continue playing again normally.

Then came the maze (or vice versa) and I got totally stuck. Time to cheat again. Again I could continue. I think this was just a difficult puzzle, not a copy protection issue, I just couldn't bother with it anymore, this game started to annoy me too much.

Final area was filled with ghosts. I mean totally filled with ghosts, each square had a ghost enemy. It was final time to cheat and I found the ending room and saw the ending image and coming soon Captive II screen.

I assumed some of these problems were caused by copy protection remains, maybe now, after about 20 years later, it is time to recheck

No guarantees that I remembered above correctly..

Your memory is good, Toni. The short track mine cart puzzle did involve throwing objects over the hedge. Though you couldn't see them from the cart, there were a series of pressure plates on the other side of the hedge. One of the plates removed a wall which allowed you to exit the cart at the other end of the track. The other plates released poisonous snakes. I had to look at a walkthrough to solve this.
I'm currently stuck on the "You'll die of old age" puzzle. It involves pressing buttons and rotating blocks to open up other parts of the maze. Even though I have a map of the area, I still can't quite figure it out. I've been stuck for a week. In the meantime, I've started playing Captive again. And also trying to finish Gods.
There is an area in the castle of fear that is filled with ghosts. They can only be killed by one party member with one spell. So you kill as many ghosts as you can before your mana runs out, then retreat to a non ghost area and recharge your mana. Then do it all again. Extremely tedious.
I would love to know the number of people who finished this game without cheating, or using walkthroughs. Although I don't know if any of the amiga magazines of the day published walkthroughs. If you look at the reader comments at lemon amiga, most of them say "Great game. Never finished it".
Old 20 March 2012, 18:47   #35
Washac

Quote:
Your memory is good, Toni. The short track mine cart puzzle did involve throwing objects over the hedge. Though you couldn't see them from the cart, there were a series of pressure plates on the other side of the hedge. One of the plates removed a wall which allowed you to exit the cart at the other end of the track. The other plates released poisonous snakes. I had to look at a walkthrough to solve this.
I'm currently stuck on the "You'll die of old age" puzzle. It involves pressing buttons and rotating blocks to open up other parts of the maze. Even though I have a map of the area, I still can't quite figure it out. I've been stuck for a week. In the meantime, I've started playing Captive again. And also trying to finish Gods.
There is an area in the castle of fear that is filled with ghosts. They can only be killed by one party member with one spell. So you kill as many ghosts as you can before your mana runs out, then retreat to a non ghost area and recharge your mana. Then do it all again. Extremely tedious.
I would love to know the number of people who finished this game without cheating, or using walkthroughs. Although I don't know if any of the amiga magazines of the day published walkthroughs. If you look at the reader comments at lemon amiga, most of them say "Great game. Never finished it".
I have never thrown anything over a hedge during this part of the game, just jumped out of the cart at the other end.
Old 20 March 2012, 22:50   #36
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
I have never thrown anything over a hedge during this part of the game, just jumped out of the cart at the other end.
Are you remembering this correctly? Possibly confusing it with another mine cart area? I went through the area about three weeks ago.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by BigHyorgi; 21 March 2012 at 01:05. Reason: Added youtube link
Old 31 December 2012, 15:50   #37
mai

Maybe some problems are really protection related.
There is a version by "KTS "based on "CSL" crack, where you can read in the intro:
"Clerical Spells Protection removed by Mac of Katharsis".
Old 05 August 2013, 10:38   #38
s2325
Zone Friend

remake of Knightmare TV show [ Show youtube player ]