English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 September 2010, 18:29   #1
AmigaFun

DENEB, Running it under OS4 Classic

Ok, another question I have over my DENEB.
I have just installed OS4 Classic in my A4000. It would not boot when the FlashROM option was activated, so I have moved the jumper to DISABLED. But before that I moved the jumper to RESCUE, so I could install the software and stuff, this I think went fine. So now the jumper is in ROM DISABLED.
OS4 Boots up, I plug a USB stick in and it came up briefly with a box, and it looked like it was going to work, but no desktop icon. Trident 4.2 (now frozen up) says bindings none, with a '? RUNNING' in the state box. Whats up now?
And whats the manual talking about with I should use 'denebpiousb.device' what do I need to do to do that???

Thanks

>>> I think it's working now, although I still have the FlashROM disabled. Still not sure about the 'denebpiousb.device' though???<<<

Last edited by AmigaFun; 19 September 2010 at 19:04. Reason: updated
Old 19 September 2010, 20:33   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFun View Post
I have just installed OS4 Classic in my A4000. It would not boot when the FlashROM option was activated, so I have moved the jumper to DISABLED. But before that I moved the jumper to RESCUE, so I could install the software and stuff, this I think went fine. So now the jumper is in ROM DISABLED.
OS4 Boots up, I plug a USB stick in and it came up briefly with a box, and it looked like it was going to work, but no desktop icon. Trident 4.2 (now frozen up) says bindings none, with a '? RUNNING' in the state box. Whats up now?
And whats the manual talking about with I should use 'denebpiousb.device' what do I need to do to do that???

Thanks

>>> I think it's working now, although I still have the FlashROM disabled. Still not sure about the 'denebpiousb.device' though???<<<
Answered my question in the other thread.

If you have installed it, then the deneb USB device wont be active. you need to go into posieden and click devices, then see whats there.

There are 3 device drivers. you can only use one at a time;
Denebdma,
Denebpio,
DenebZ2.

If there is one already there and it has a red spot, then it aint active.

You need to highlight it and click "online". If it wont online, then just add the other device drivers one by one and online them until one gives green spot.

Once you get a green spot the device will active.

With the 3.9 setup, you had all these in the Deneb flash, so they were available at boot.

The other problem with OS4, Deneb aint really that compatible with it. If you install any newer version of poseiden then the Deneb spams out.
Old 19 September 2010, 21:21   #3
AmigaFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Answered my question in the other thread.

If you have installed it, then the deneb USB device wont be active. you need to go into posieden and click devices, then see whats there.

There are 3 device drivers. you can only use one at a time;
Denebdma,
Denebpio,
DenebZ2.

If there is one already there and it has a red spot, then it aint active.

You need to highlight it and click "online". If it wont online, then just add the other device drivers one by one and online them until one gives green spot.

Once you get a green spot the device will active.

With the 3.9 setup, you had all these in the Deneb flash, so they were available at boot.

The other problem with OS4, Deneb aint really that compatible with it. If you install any newer version of poseiden then the Deneb spams out.
It's definatly active, the USB drive works fine.
When you say available at boot, does that mean, just for example, if I had a USB keyboard or joystick, that would work in a standard game loaded from floppy at boot up? But now the FlashROM is disabled the DENEB won't be available until the OS has loaded up??
Old 19 September 2010, 21:44   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
It's definatly active, the USB drive works fine.
When you say available at boot, does that mean, just for example, if I had a USB keyboard or joystick, that would work in a standard game loaded from floppy at boot up? But now the FlashROM is disabled the DENEB won't be available until the OS has loaded up??
Correct, but not for games on boot.
Old 20 September 2010, 05:20   #5
DarrenHD

Quote:

Thanks

I'm using two Denebs in two different A4000/PPC systems, and I can tell you the Deneb flash programs can be placed into the flash and work. You should be careful about what you put in there. If you are putting in rom updates for OS 3.9, make sure to mark them as OS3 only in Luciferin. Similarily, do not load the poseidon input.device under OS4.

You can start out by putting poseidon in the flash, it works. Make sure you add Luciferin to SYS:PREFS/Compatibility because it won't work with OS4's JIT. Thats necessary when you flash the Deneb using Luciferin, otherwise you will see errors when you attempt to flash.

I also put the A1000jingle in the flash so if I hear that I know the flash contents are being executed. Beware "Noclick" doesn't appear to work under OS4, to stop your floppy clicking, but you can download anticlick from aminet (just search for it) and add it to your user-startup, it works on OS4.

BTW, you can also use Poseidon's massstorage support in OS4's mediatoolbox, but you have to hexedit the massstorage file in sys:classes/usb and search for usbscsi.device and change it to USBscsi.device.

(ONE important point is that anytime you make a change to poseidon (or hexedit the file as I mentioned above, you will need to update your copy of poseidon in the flash!!!).)

That way you can format and prep a USB stick under OS4.0 using Mediatoolbox. Also beware....I've not had much luck using SFS file systems on USB sticks, but you can certainly use DOS/07 to make a USB stick that can cold boot OS4.

Takes some fiddling but it works and is very handy for switching between OS3.9 and OS4. I have two SanDisk Cruzer 4GB sticks that I use (they seem to work well). One has OS3.9, the other has OS4.0. So I just put in the stick I want for the OS I want to use.

I suppose you could do the same for MorphOS powerUP, but I haven't done that yet.

The only other point I'd mention is that under OS4 you have to use deneb in PIO mode. Poseidon/Deneb does not support OS4's new memory handling system and therefore the DMA driver for Deneb does not work on OS4.

Last edited by DarrenHD; 20 September 2010 at 05:24. Reason: added sentence about updating flash after Poseidon changes.
Old 20 September 2010, 10:20   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
I'm using two Denebs in two different A4000/PPC systems, and I can tell you the Deneb flash programs can be placed into the flash and work. You should be careful about what you put in there. If you are putting in rom updates for OS 3.9, make sure to mark them as OS3 only in Luciferin. Similarily, do not load the poseidon input.device under OS4.

You can start out by putting poseidon in the flash, it works. Make sure you add Luciferin to SYS:PREFS/Compatibility because it won't work with OS4's JIT. Thats necessary when you flash the Deneb using Luciferin, otherwise you will see errors when you attempt to flash.

I also put the A1000jingle in the flash so if I hear that I know the flash contents are being executed. Beware "Noclick" doesn't appear to work under OS4, to stop your floppy clicking, but you can download anticlick from aminet (just search for it) and add it to your user-startup, it works on OS4.

BTW, you can also use Poseidon's massstorage support in OS4's mediatoolbox, but you have to hexedit the massstorage file in sys:classes/usb and search for usbscsi.device and change it to USBscsi.device.

(ONE important point is that anytime you make a change to poseidon (or hexedit the file as I mentioned above, you will need to update your copy of poseidon in the flash!!!).)

That way you can format and prep a USB stick under OS4.0 using Mediatoolbox. Also beware....I've not had much luck using SFS file systems on USB sticks, but you can certainly use DOS/07 to make a USB stick that can cold boot OS4.

Takes some fiddling but it works and is very handy for switching between OS3.9 and OS4. I have two SanDisk Cruzer 4GB sticks that I use (they seem to work well). One has OS3.9, the other has OS4.0. So I just put in the stick I want for the OS I want to use.

I suppose you could do the same for MorphOS powerUP, but I haven't done that yet.

The only other point I'd mention is that under OS4 you have to use deneb in PIO mode. Poseidon/Deneb does not support OS4's new memory handling system and therefore the DMA driver for Deneb does not work on OS4.
So its a case of messing with Compatability file in Prefs? Adding posieden to the none JIT list?

As even with just setting all 3.9 updates to "OS3" I have never got it to boot with OS4. That has been case with every A4000 I have tried it on.
Old 20 September 2010, 21:00   #7
AmigaFun

Quote:

This is well over my head this. The situation I would really like to be in is like you, one stick for OS3.9 the other stick for OS4. But hexediting?
help.
Old 21 September 2010, 02:40   #8
DarrenHD

Quote:
This is well over my head this. The situation I would really like to be in is like you, one stick for OS3.9 the other stick for OS4. But hexediting?
help.

It's not hard. if you are using OS4, you can download fileX from os4depot. just open the massstorage.class from sys:classes/usb and search for usbscsi.device and replace it with USBscsi.device

the first three letters upper case.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:48   #9
AmigaFun

Quote:
It's not hard. if you are using OS4, you can download fileX from os4depot. just open the massstorage.class from sys:classes/usb and search for usbscsi.device and replace it with USBscsi.device

the first three letters upper case.

I think I may have to reinstall OS4 anyway, I mean, I don't see any reason why Nightlong and Quake should not work on a fresh install, something must have gone wrong when it was istalling OS4? Would really love the set up you have though.