English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 November 2009, 00:41   #1
crazyzeke

Hooooo Knights of the Sky - A1200 HD problem?

Hello there.

I'm new to the board but I've been using Amigas for years.

Recently I pulled my old A1200 out of the loft and put a laptop harddrive in it, using WinUAE to set it up. Most of the games I have put on there work just fine.

But Knights of the Sky doesn't.

It's erratic. I've spent hours testing it using different configurations. Things like loading it from workbench, from the CLI with no startup-sequence, making custom sequences to boot it etc. I've tried various different versions as well - three with "cracks" to bypass the protection, and rips of the original disks with it still on. I try changing the stack, changing the way I assign the directories, using the Degrader patch to change the resolution or turn off the cache, using the boot menu to change the chipset etc etc. Literally all the old Amiga tricks I used to use to make things work.

When booting with no startup-sequence and doing minimal assings and patches, sometimes you can get it to load the "Flight Training" with the same plane and home base etc several times on the trot, maybe seven or so at best. I test it this way to see if you can load different scenarios indefinately, rather than have the whole game hang sometimes and not others, and taking the chance of the whole thing freezing up on a black screen and losing all the work you've put in to complete a mission. Other times it'll fail to load - hangs - after just the first time you've chosen a scenario, whether that's a flight training exercise or part of the career mode. It sometimes hangs before the base screen, sometimes afterwards.

This means that nine times out of ten, when you play the career "World War I" mode, you'll touch down after a long mission and get through all the post-mission screens, then it'll hang before you get back to the screen where you press S to save.

I'm mystified as to why this might be. I've tried everything I can think of but it's very inconsistant, and even the exact same method of launching the game each time produces different results.

I'm starting to think there's a fault with the Amiga itself, which is hard to believe because everything else seems to run fine. I even tried ripping the ROM, then running the harddrive using WinUAE and the problem disappears.

Any tips on how I can get this game sorted, or at least do some hardware checks to see what's up, would be appreciated. I mean, sure, I can emulate it perfectly on the PC, but I'm one of those people who hates giving up on things and admitting defeat, and besides, getting it running on real hardware is the point!

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.