English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 February 2011, 21:35   #21
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Odd thing is, if you put SFS on the CF and then put it in your A600, bet it gives RED screen.
SFS needs a 68020. If you put it into a 68000 Amiga it crashes and a crash in early file system initialisation gives a red screen (although this doesn't have anything to do with ROM checksum).

The same happens if the file system code in the RDB is corrupted. But then it would happen in every Amiga, not only in the A600.
Old 14 February 2011, 01:08   #22
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy View Post
The only thing I can think of is that Escom changed something in the later A1200s (like they did with the floppy disks) to make it incompatible with CF?
It can't be that mine is an Escom NOS from Amigakit and it works fine, could your kickstart roms be corrupt or loose or something?
Old 14 February 2011, 01:17   #23
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
SFS needs a 68020. If you put it into a 68000 Amiga it crashes and a crash in early file system initialisation gives a red screen (although this doesn't have anything to do with ROM checksum).

The same happens if the file system code in the RDB is corrupted. But then it would happen in every Amiga, not only in the A600.
I know, was just pointing out, that not every colour fault code can indicate hardware problem.
Old 14 February 2011, 02:38   #24
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Cannot think of any other advice to give apart from checking the master/slave jumper on the card.

I have plenty of spare bits & pieces laying in my 'Amiga drawers', so I will happily donate a CF card/adaptor/cable combo for you to test and keep.
I will install a clean 3.1 on it and provide it as tested working.

That will narrow things down should it not work.

PM me your address

Magno
Old 14 February 2011, 13:04   #25
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magno Boots View Post
Cannot think of any other advice to give apart from checking the master/slave jumper on the card.

I have plenty of spare bits & pieces laying in my 'Amiga drawers', so I will happily donate a CF card/adaptor/cable combo for you to test and keep.
I will install a clean 3.1 on it and provide it as tested working.

That will narrow things down should it not work.

PM me your address

Magno
Yeah I've changed both master/slave and even with no jumper at all, same result. That would be massively appreciated, I've already tried 3 cards and two adaptors (two of which are from AmigaKit and work on my A600), but it's worth a shot, PMing you now
Old 14 February 2011, 14:50   #26
Mick

I have a feeling it's your motherboard but hope for your sake isn't mate, good luck with Magno Boots adapter it's good of him to give you a working one.

If it does turn out to be your motherboard then maybe it's something Amigakit can repair? it could just be a dodgy capacitor or something.
Old 14 February 2011, 15:26   #27
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I have a feeling it's your motherboard but hope for your sake isn't mate, good luck with Magno Boots adapter it's good of him to give you a working one.

If it does turn out to be your motherboard then maybe it's something Amigakit can repair? it could just be a dodgy capacitor or something.
Yeah, thanks for the tips, just wondering what could cause it not to work with a CF yet boot with a normal hard disk? Aren't the two indistinguishable from the machine? It might be cheaper for me to just get a 2.5" IDE hard disk off ebay, they're pennies now for old 5/6 gig drives, obviously probably not as reliable as a new CF though.
Old 14 February 2011, 16:58   #28
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

All set up and ready to post.. adaptor/2gb card WB3.1/cable.

I have chosen an adaptor which differs slightly from your one (as per Mick's link), so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Edit: posted

Last edited by Magno Boots; 14 February 2011 at 17:59.
Old 14 February 2011, 19:19   #29
chocolate_boy

Quote:

I have chosen an adaptor which differs slightly from your one (as per Mick's link), so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Thanks very much pal I'll report back soon!
Old 14 February 2011, 19:32   #30
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy View Post
Yeah, thanks for the tips, just wondering what could cause it not to work with a CF yet boot with a normal hard disk? Aren't the two indistinguishable from the machine? It might be cheaper for me to just get a 2.5" IDE hard disk off ebay, they're pennies now for old 5/6 gig drives, obviously probably not as reliable as a new CF though.
I have no idea mate I can only think that they use the IDE bus a bit differently and some fault on the motherboard is only being exposed by the CF adapter, either that or you have two adapters which for whatever reason aren't compatible with the A1200 (which would be strange I suppose given they work on the A600).

I have pretty much the same hardware and no such problems.

It's all a bit
Old 15 February 2011, 20:33   #31
chocolate_boy

Quote:

You little beauty Mango Boots! The adaptor/cf card you sent works a treat. Thanks again, wonder what it didn't like about the Sandisks from Amigakit then?! But running nicely now :-)
Old 16 February 2011, 00:57   #32
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Result!

Happy to help out with your project.

Nice Youtube vid by the way

Magno