English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 October 2018, 14:28   #81
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk View Post
couldn't hold my tears back if a court would cut the hyperonion off from its roots ...
lol
Old 26 October 2018, 14:33   #82
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

If people would be so interested in an open source Amiga OS, AROS would fly.
But actually, no one gives a shit, unfortunately.
Old 26 October 2018, 15:12   #83
kolla
Banned

AROS flies already (and has for quite some time), but you seem not to understand the issue, which is that of "contamination of AROS" if people who somehow have had access to Amiga OS sources once upon time, contribute to AROS.
Old 26 October 2018, 20:15   #84
rare_j
Zone Friend

Is there really that much cash in amiga os? Really? Couple a thousand users, tops? Userbase shrinking, not growing? Sounds like chump change. Buttons. Why are lawers involved? Lawers are damned expensive! Who the hell is making enough money out of this to pay lawers? Who the hell thinks they are going to strike it rich over an operating system that's been dead 20 years????

Seriously, am I missing something?
Old 26 October 2018, 20:28   #85
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
If people would be so interested in an open source Amiga OS, AROS would fly.
But actually, no one gives a shit, unfortunately.
Yes, because people do not like free things the free will put a damper on all minds and rivalries
Old 26 October 2018, 21:03   #86
hth313

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Is there really that much cash in amiga os? Really? Couple a thousand users, tops? Userbase shrinking, not growing? Sounds like chump change. Buttons. Why are lawers involved? Lawers are damned expensive! Who the hell is making enough money out of this to pay lawers? Who the hell thinks they are going to strike it rich over an operating system that's been dead 20 years????

Yes and no...

Hyperion obtained (some would say stole) the right to develop future AmigaOS, but they do not own it. Thus, they cannot open source it, to take an example. Basically, their hands are in some ways tied.

As someone told me, and I believe it is an explanation that makes sense: It is a trophy to them. Look! I own AmigaOS!

Another explanation I can think of is that they are operating on an extremely dated business idea.

These reasons, in some combination, I think is the answer.

The Amiga is plagued with people trying to own a piece of it, not working together. Which is why we are wasting efforts and not really getting anywhere, ever.

It should have been open sourced 20 years ago, it is so way overdue.

Personally, I have given up. There are so many other interesting things to do, rather than hoping for AmigaOS to become relevant in any way. I will just play a little bit with the old Amiga stuff and do something else when it comes to the new stuff.
Old 27 October 2018, 01:54   #87
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Yes, because people do not like free things the free will put a damper on all minds and rivalries

People do like free things, but the free thing has to be better or at least close to being as fast as the real thing. If AROS was nearly as compatible or fast as say Workbench 3.9 on real Amiga hardware then it would be the default and we wouldn't pay for a $20 OS upgrade.

I would really like AROS to be as good as classic Amiga 3.1, 3.9 or 3.1.4 but it's just not there yet. Maybe someday.
Old 27 October 2018, 09:21   #88
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I would really like AROS to be as good as classic Amiga 3.1, 3.9 or 3.1.4 but it's just not there yet. Maybe someday.
Well, yes, it has not arrived, but it's still usable and allows you to do things that OS3.9 can not do and will never do, how to browse media files, take advantage of more CPU and RAM in abundance.
Old 27 October 2018, 14:43   #89
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@AMIGASYSTEM:

OS3.9 can do these things already.
Old 27 October 2018, 15:25   #90
AMIGASYSTEM

Minuous yes I know that many things can be done with OS3 in particular I do it with AfA-OS, but AROS has no CPU limits, it has no RAM limits, has the most modern and developed Browser for native Amiga systems, you can play any video in high resolution even from the web, you can install it in dualboot with other operating systems.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 October 2018, 15:43   #91
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Why are lawers involved? Lawers are damned expensive! Who the hell is making enough money out of this to pay lawers? Who the hell thinks they are going to strike it rich over an operating system that's been dead 20 years????

Yeah, the missing piece in your puzzle is that Hyperion was founded by a lawyer.
Does it make more sense now?
Old 27 October 2018, 20:06   #92
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Yes, because people do not like free things
id rather say, people desire things that they cant get, thats why as open sourcing amiga os is entirely remote, the audience desires it, while they ignore an already open and to serious extent compatible and improved alternative, such as aros.
Old 27 October 2018, 20:20   #93
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
If AROS was nearly as compatible or fast as say Workbench 3.9 on real Amiga hardware then it would be the default and we wouldn't pay for a $20 OS upgrade
you guys have apparently put a lot of effort and investments in finding and improving alternatives for warpos support on amiga, shich ahile not exactly in a scope of my interest today i applaud to. in fact i might once try it out with aros, as i own mediator and warpos works under aros68k (tested so far with csppc).

lets say, if you have invested as much effort in improving aros amiga-m68k target, you might face similar class of results as in what you have done so far. the foundation is there, to the same degree as warpos+elbox hardware, its just your choice.

Quote:
a bit unfair a comparison. aros extends the contents of all above providing not just a kickstart and (best case) few basic tools, but complete out of the box integrated working solutions, such as networking and usb stack. rtg stack. a working css browser. and a lot more. either of above kickstarts, including 3.1.4 deliver but a subset of aros functionality. yes, the latter may be more compatible in particular with ks3.1, but aros is overall compatible with ks1.x-ks3.x, all in one, inclusive all that obsolete stuff as BCPL, which toni might actually elaborate better.
Old 27 October 2018, 20:27   #94
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
@AMIGASYSTEM:

OS3.9 can do these things already.
no, it cant. as example: os 3.9 does not provide
- usb stack.
- it doesnt provide a set up network stack, in a manner of select (vendors?) binary driver and you are ready to go.
- it doesnt provide built in ready to go rtg. same as above.
- it doesnt let you move windows off screen, as just lately achieved by ks3.1.4
-it doesnt contain user friendly contributions like an almost fully functional and extnded mui alternative, rtg layer oriented paint programs, css browsers, a number of desktop solutions alternatives and and and..

the list goes on..
Old 28 October 2018, 19:32   #95
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
no, it cant. as example: os 3.9 does not provide
- usb stack.
- it doesnt provide a set up network stack, in a manner of select (vendors?) binary driver and you are ready to go.
- it doesnt provide built in ready to go rtg. same as above.
- it doesnt let you move windows off screen, as just lately achieved by ks3.1.4
-it doesnt contain user friendly contributions like an almost fully functional and extnded mui alternative, rtg layer oriented paint programs, css browsers, a number of desktop solutions alternatives and and and..

the list goes on..
You have just described also one of the problems of AROS in that list... "almost fully functional".
One of many things that prevents AROS from being successful...which is a shame
Old 28 October 2018, 20:05   #96
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
"almost fully functional".
"almost fully functional" applies imho to "almost anything amiga".

i might well have written "fully functional" and get away with it, as it is suitable for daily use, even if it certainly lacks something still.
fortunately whatever is missing may be tracked down looking at the source and improved just by anyone. even if you was able to access os4 sources that easily, porting them to whatever you prefer, x86, arm or m68k, it certainly wouldnt be in a better state of function on whichever of these target platform than aros already is.
Old 28 October 2018, 22:54   #97
nexus

hyperion entertainment starts legal actions against 4 companies
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1PCGw...jRQLaUS4k/edit
sigh

Last edited by nexus; 28 October 2018 at 23:03.
Old 28 October 2018, 23:06   #98
Romanujan

Too bad I can't understand this language at all:

Quote:
Amiga admits that the Motion to Stay the Hyperion Opposition was granted by the TTAB; and lacks knowledge or information sufficient to form a belief as to the remaining allegations contained in paragraph 53 of the First Amended Complaint.
I hope someone will translate it to English one day...
Old 29 October 2018, 00:03   #99
dalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
hyperion entertainment starts legal actions against 4 companies
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1PCGw...jRQLaUS4k/edit
sigh

Oh wow. Reading from page 21 is interesting.

Basically Amiga Inc. have come in and said Hyperion have overstepped the mark and are in breach of their settlement agreement in providing 3.1.4, merchandising and on-licensing kickstart to icomp!

I feel really sorry for Cloanto who appear to have a lot of of the areas they are trying to do business in overstepped by Hyperion who have no rights in this space (classic, 1.3, 3.1).

If this goes through, 3.1.4 would be an illegal work.

Last edited by dalek; 29 October 2018 at 00:04. Reason: speling
Old 29 October 2018, 00:09   #100
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
If this goes through, 3.1.4 would be an illegal work.
Unless some agreement is reached and Cloanto (or whomever is deemed to be able) allows said work in exchange for whatever...

Agreements are pretty common in these type of disputes..