English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 24 September 2018, 18:49   #2701
daxb

Btw. is the HAM mode faster, slower or equal compared to an AGA "native" screen?
Old 24 September 2018, 19:14   #2702
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I have installed it additional to the normal ScreenmodePrefs on my OS 3.9, not as a replacement, using it only for HAM screens.
That's what I do too, just that up AfA-OS there is a graphical error on the GUI, it does not appear "Save" "Use" etc.. , Now do not tell me that AfA-OS does not work well , because all the other MUI applications work well. On AfA-OS there is an instrument that corrects these things is called "blacklist.info" (an icon with commands in the Tooltypes) but it does not work with "MUI Screenmode Prefs"
Old 24 September 2018, 21:19   #2703
kolla
Banned

That is because MUI Screenmode Prefs uses locale catalogs from original OS3.1 screenmode prefs, and you have OS3.9 installed, with Italian locales for OS3.9 screenmode prefs program, which is incompatible with OS3.1 screenmode prefs and MUI screenmode prefs. As you can see
Old 24 September 2018, 21:31   #2704
AMIGASYSTEM

You are right Kolla, he does not like Italian strange, the other MUI programs like Italian

I've been using RTG programs for many years, this was my A4000/060 (dead)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 September 2018, 23:11   #2705
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Btw. is the HAM mode faster, slower or equal compared to an AGA "native" screen?
I don't know, since I'm always using WinUAE in "fastest possible" mode only, never in this horrible slow "native Amiga speed". Try it out.

Of course, my HM020 version is more complex than the 68020 or TC020 version. It does the OS 3.5 colormapping, the TrueColor decoding and the HAM8 conversion all together at the same time, which may take a while on a slow AGA chipset, but it works!
Old 25 September 2018, 00:25   #2706
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

PeterK you are the developer of this nice HAM possibility. I would like to see what wallpaper do you use and how it looks like . Edit: Any other is also very welcomed
I say that because I don't like to see a dithered wallpaper when using so perfect icons.

-And yes, I'm seeing that you are posting today about Envarc:Sys for the Fullpalette.prefs. That's why it wasn't working here at first when I was trying Envarc only and only worked when I saved the prefs.-
Old 25 September 2018, 00:53   #2707
PeterK

No, it's not possible to see a TrueColor wallpaper without dithering on a HAM screen. I did never spent any time for creating optimized wallpapers with a paint program. I'm simply loading my normal Jpeg wallpaper as always with WBPattern and jfif.datatype 44.9 and don't care about it. Yes, it's dithered and doesn't look optimal with only 64 colors, but what is it good for? You could try some of these copper color fades like in ClassicWB, they won't need dithering ...

Concerning ENVARC:Sys/FullPalette.prefs, I said that right from the beginning, again and again, but nobody seems to read what I'm writing ...
Old 25 September 2018, 01:17   #2708
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

What did you say?. Yes, I suposse

About wallpapers, I've tried and tried and only the one I made with the silhouette cat in 16 colors without dithering looks perfect to me. Well, that's enough, and in fact it doesn't look nice without the ham mode enabled.

https://postimg.cc/r00LxBw7
Old 25 September 2018, 07:15   #2709
kolla
Banned

I *think* HAM WB backdrop works with OS3.1 workbench.library and a HAM capable datatype. It was one of the few things that randomly stopped working with OS3.5+, if I remember correctly.
Old 25 September 2018, 08:24   #2710
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
I *think* HAM WB backdrop works with OS3.1 workbench.library and a HAM capable datatype.
Really? What about possible HAM glitches when you display windows or other objects like icons in front of such a HAM backdrop ?? http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=2653

@Retrofan
Please wait a few days with creating any wallpapers, because I'm actually working on a new HM020 version with only 48 base colors, with correct looking system, MWB and mouse pointer colors, and thus with a new FullPalette.prefs file, too.
Old 25 September 2018, 09:43   #2711
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
You are right Kolla, he does not like Italian strange, the other MUI programs like Italian
Italian is not the problem, OS3.9 locale catalogs are.

Here is a "dirty" work-around for MUIScreenMode and OS3.9:
* Make a drawer LOCALES:Catalogs/Italiano/3.1
* Copy from OS3.1 the LOCALE:Catalogs/Italiano/sys/#?.catalog files to the new 3.1 drawer
* Open MUIScreenMode in a binary capable editor (f.ex. CygnusEd)
* Replace Sys/Prefs.catalog with 3.1/Prefs.catalog
* Replace Sys/Workbench.catalog with 3.1/Workbench.catalog
* Save

You can of course use a different name than 3.1 for the drawer above, just make sure that it is three letters (like the original "Sys" is), and that when you edit the MUIScreenMode binary, you only replace the relevant "Sys" entries with three letters, so that the saved binary is exactly as big as the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skjermbilde 2018-09-25 09.29.11.png
Views:	116
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	59969  
Old 25 September 2018, 09:50   #2712
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Really? What about possible HAM glitches when you display windows or other objects like icons in front of such a HAM backdrop ??
Yup, I recall lots of such glitches
Old 25 September 2018, 12:53   #2713
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Italian is not the problem, OS3.9 locale catalogs are.

Here is a "dirty" work-around for MUIScreenMode and OS3.9:
* Make a drawer LOCALES:Catalogs/Italiano/3.1
* Copy from OS3.1 the LOCALE:Catalogs/Italiano/sys/#?.catalog files to the new 3.1 drawer
* Open MUIScreenMode in a binary capable editor (f.ex. CygnusEd)
* Replace Sys/Prefs.catalog with 3.1/Prefs.catalog
* Replace Sys/Workbench.catalog with 3.1/Workbench.catalog
* Save

You can of course use a different name than 3.1 for the drawer above, just make sure that it is three letters (like the original "Sys" is), and that when you edit the MUIScreenMode binary, you only replace the relevant "Sys" entries with three letters, so that the saved binary is exactly as big as the original.
Thank you very much kolla, the great spirit AMiGA, it worked perfectly, i had never used CygnusED for these changes, I have always used AZap and FileX, but CygnusED is more practical.

@Peter
Sorry OT

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 October 2018 at 08:51.
Old 25 September 2018, 17:09   #2714
PeterK

No, that's ok, because I could also learn something. And I just copied the old german catalog files to the 3.1 drawer, changed MUIScreenmodePrefs too, and indeed it works great. Many thanks to Kolla !!

Btw, AMIGASYSTEM, how far did you get with HAM8 now? Any improvement or is it too difficult? Come on, you're not too old yet. I've moved my HAM8 screenshot to the first page.
Old 25 September 2018, 17:48   #2715
AMIGASYSTEM

No Peter I managed to get HAM8 it was not the fault of old age it was the fault of your review

All joking aside i like the Workbench at the highest quality, what's the point of using HAM8 in 2018?
Old 25 September 2018, 18:44   #2716
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
No, that's ok, because I could also learn something. And I just copied the old german catalog files to the 3.1 drawer, changed MUIScreenmodePrefs too, and indeed it works great. Many thanks to Kolla !!
I was revived by the old when many years ago by chance I translated Cine4D in Italian only I had the Italian version

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 November 2018 at 23:23.
Old 25 September 2018, 22:04   #2717
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
No Peter I managed to get HAM8 it was not the fault of old age it was the fault of your review

All joking aside i like the Workbench at the highest quality, what's the point of using HAM8 in 2018?

Ok, I should better believe now that you've managed to get HAM8, no doubt about it, with my excellent explanations is was pretty easy to do that ...

Who needs HAM8 in 2018? I don't know, not me, but it was ThorHAM who asked for it in 2014. He was looking around here some days ago, but did not give any feedback yet. And who needs an Amiga in 2018? I don't.
Old 25 September 2018, 23:20   #2718
AMIGASYSTEM

In 2018 AMiGA is just fun, I no longer play, but using a modern Amiga like AROS and AfA-OS still fascinates me. Of course, like almost everyone in the world I use Windows, I have many PCs at home both Desktop and Laptop, before retiring I managed a company network with hundreds of PCs and users thanks to the experience made on AmigaOS.
Old 26 September 2018, 00:20   #2719
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

The thing about using HAM for me is Why not?. It looks very nice using 64 colors. Maybe 64 colors is top end for a cheap accelerator, but it works right with my ACA1230/56 although yes, it wastes more ram.

Well, since some time ago we've got WinUAE for trying whatever...

But I love trying new things, don't you?
Old 27 September 2018, 10:16   #2720
Mark sealey

Hi all.....i have a issue lol

Right....ive installed the icon.library (aminet archive) from the 020 draw...modded my startup-sequence with Remlib etc...just after IDEfix...at the start of the sequence...everything else is after this entry.

No other patches apart from FBLIT.....Now When i open a SD card partion called "stuff" my A600 freezes..I also have a Draw at the bottom of the screen called "temp" if i have the icon.lobrary active i get the same...a few icon display then freezes...all other partions work fine with random newicons mixed in with MagicWorkbench icons....ive uploaded two videos on my youtube....

Icon.library active

[ Show youtube player ]

Icon.library Inactive

[ Show youtube player ]

My spec....

A600 Furia

2mb chip
9.5 meg fast
OS3.1 rom

Workbench 3.1 magic workbench

My Games partion Works fine etc

Thanks