English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 July 2004, 17:25   #1
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Retro Gamer cover DVD

Just been browsing my newsagent and saw the latest copy of retro Gamer. It has the PC version of Beneath a Steel Sky free on the front.
Also a small piece of blurb from Dino about his new game etc etc

anyway, thought people might wanna know
Old 01 August 2004, 11:04   #2
hype

Beneath a Steel Sky is free now!
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php
Old 01 August 2004, 11:25   #3
fiath

That does not mean you can distribute it. It is just that the ScummVM people have a license from Revolution to make it available for download.

Edit: My mistake:

Quote:
In August 2003, BASS was made available for free download and is now classed as freeware.

But in my defence, this is quite unusual. Go go Revolution Software!

Last edited by fiath; 01 August 2004 at 11:30.
Old 06 August 2004, 00:21   #4
Bobic

BASS was included on the cover CD of issue 06/2004 of our Mac magazine "Mac Life" (www.mac-life.de - German only) together with ScummVM, too - thanks to Revolution Software and the ScummVM guys.

BASS (and Lure of the Temptress, of course) is also available for free download from BTTR since 1999.
Old 06 August 2004, 16:00   #5
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Revolution's general attitude to supporting their older customers,(even indirectly via 3rd party projects like SCUMMVM), does deserve a lot of credit- they could teach manners to certain other publishers that their old gaming history should not be forgotten,(or have promising updated sequels getting canned for no good reason).
Old 08 August 2004, 23:13   #6
fiath

I just played Beneath a Steel Sky from beginning to end. I always had an intention to play this game again, since I didn't complete it in the first place. What a wonderful game! And really funny in places.

I used to love these adventures, but got a bit bored with the latest Monkey Island, I don't think I even bothered to play it through. But I am now adventure-fresh so I am gonna go play some of the other classics. Maybe Sam and Max and Day of the Tenticle since I heard a lot of good about them.

Thank you Revolution! Quality game. Lure of the Temptress here I come

Actually, I think more companies like Revolution should wake up and smell the business. I am quite interested in looking at their current games now. I once thought that companies that supported their past games, make good marketing for their current ones. Now I have actually experienced this myself, I realise that these guys at Revolution are genius'

Quality game, with sensible puzzles! Not like some Infocom ones I could mention!

BE VIGILANT

Last edited by fiath; 08 August 2004 at 23:19.
Old 08 August 2004, 23:18   #7
Marlon

They're based in my home city (York) and are shit to work for. And please believe me when I tell you that Charles Cecil is an unmitigated twat.
Old 08 August 2004, 23:21   #8
fiath

I'm sorry about that...
Even so, their games are superb.
Old 09 August 2004, 14:38   #9
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiath
I just played Beneath a Steel Sky from beginning to end. I always had an intention to play this game again, since I didn't complete it in the first place. What a wonderful game! And really funny in places.

I used to love these adventures, but got a bit bored with the latest Monkey Island, I don't think I even bothered to play it through. But I am now adventure-fresh so I am gonna go play some of the other classics. Maybe Sam and Max and Day of the Tenticle since I heard a lot of good about them.

Thank you Revolution! Quality game. Lure of the Temptress here I come

Actually, I think more companies like Revolution should wake up and smell the business. I am quite interested in looking at their current games now. I once thought that companies that supported their past games, make good marketing for their current ones. Now I have actually experienced this myself, I realise that these guys at Revolution are genius'

Quality game, with sensible puzzles! Not like some Infocom ones I could mention!

BE VIGILANT
Hard to split DOTT & Sam & Max, both are excellent cerebal-em-ups. Its a pity Revolution probably isn't in the position to do what they did with one of the later Kings Quest game translations a few years ago, (ieffer to take over the cancelled Sam & Max PC sequel)-given their adventure gaming prowess, I'm sure they could make a successful release of it.