English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 September 2002, 09:34   #21
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Well they're not backing down as far as gambling games go, but they turned completely 180 degrees about non-profitable games and that's what's important to most of us (I don't gamble anyway).
Old 24 September 2002, 12:32   #22
alkis21
Zone Friend

As much as I hate bringing this stupid thread back on top, I had to post this:

http://www.warbucket.com/comic.php?id=74

Well it made me chuckle. But then again I don't go out much, being a world champion and all.
Old 24 September 2002, 12:53   #23
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

LOL! That really puts things in perspective, doesn't it!
Old 24 September 2002, 13:03   #24
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

One thing that needs to be remembered in this debate is that the idiots,(reads politicians),who create the idiotic laws in the first place. More often than not they seem to be ignorant,greying old zombies who are shown a quick bit of 'net for 30mins by some hippy "family-please think of the children-family group",& instantly pronounce all gaming as something practised by 8 year old kiddies or by sick demented loners.

For instance in Australia our "learned fathers" have deemed that currently any computer/console game rated as "R" (Restricted, for 18+ years or older),is banned from sale here. In other words the maximum rated allowable games here are Mature Adult 15+years ,meaning there's apparently no gamers above 15 years old here!
Old 25 September 2002, 09:54   #25
alkis21
Zone Friend

Well said.
Old 25 September 2002, 10:18   #26
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Yes well said Indeed
Old 13 March 2018, 15:34   #27
plutonick

I just made a post 'greeting from Greece' and this post was on my 'recommended' posts, so I have to comment on it 15 years later.

I am so pissed at this law. It made Arcades extinct! Now, 15 years later, Arcades are slowly coming back, but it is too little too late. The games are either old cabinets or crappy VR walking simulators. And those arcades are usually found inside big multiplexes sharing space with cinemagoers.

So mad and sad at the same time.
Old 15 March 2018, 13:12   #28
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Hi Plutonick - when you say 'old cabinets', how old do you mean. There's money to be made in retro arcade cabs, so go into the arcades and make an offer! You could be a rich man!!
Old 15 March 2018, 15:56   #29
Marcuz

I feel an odd displacement, reading this thread: in a retro board, EAB focused on a section of the past that doesn't get larger, Commodore Amiga and its heyday, time basically feels still, or slow; while 15 years ago on this post can feel like yesterday, in states lives, a law from 15 years ago feels like something from ages ago!

I mean, in Italy a legislature has a physiological length of 5 years, that was reached only half the time. Ages!
Old 15 March 2018, 18:18   #30
mintsauce82

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonick View Post
I am so pissed at this law. It made Arcades extinct! Now, 15 years later, Arcades are slowly coming back, but it is too little too late. The games are either old cabinets or crappy VR walking simulators. And those arcades are usually found inside big multiplexes sharing space with cinemagoers.

So mad and sad at the same time.
Don't worry bud, it wasn't just this law that made arcades an endangered species. They've been disappearing all over the world because people just weren't interested in them any more.

It's only now that nostalgia is allowing them to come back - the 30+ crowd is realizing that a bar with a full stock of retro arcade cabs is a truly wonderful thing that should never have been allowed to leave.
Old 16 March 2018, 09:06   #31
plutonick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsauce82 View Post
Don't worry bud, it wasn't just this law that made arcades an endangered species. They've been disappearing all over the world because people just weren't interested in them any more.

It's only now that nostalgia is allowing them to come back - the 30+ crowd is realizing that a bar with a full stock of retro arcade cabs is a truly wonderful thing that should never have been allowed to leave.
Funny you mention that. Nostalgia and 30 y/o.. Or 40 in my case.

Just the other day I was walking down the 'high street' of my neighborhoud and noticed that a celebrity chef had opened a new burger house. I love burgers but what caught my attention was a vintage star wars pinball machine in the eating area!

I didn't hesitate ordering a burger, mainly for the chance to play a real pinball game after more than 15 years. Alas, it was not working. It was a real pinball, but it was inoperable. They had it placed there simply decoration.

Damn them all to hell!
Old 16 March 2018, 09:08   #32
plutonick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
Hi Plutonick - when you say 'old cabinets', how old do you mean. There's money to be made in retro arcade cabs, so go into the arcades and make an offer! You could be a rich man!!
I mean they didn't bother to buy new cabinets. They just reinstalled their old cabinets that we used to play 20 years ago. Daytona racing, Time Crisis. That kind of thing. I doubt they are selling them, because strangely, little kids like to pump coins in them while waiting for their movie to begin.
Old 18 March 2018, 15:47   #33
Foebane
Banned

(sigh) My fault for not looking at the year of posting. Stop bumping old threads that are long past their use-by date! Start a new one if necessary!
Old 19 March 2018, 22:26   #34
alkis21
Zone Friend

Wow, I don't remember a single word I'd written in this thread... not surprising as it's been almost 16 years.