English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 December 2017, 21:19   #1
scam3r

Internal Gotek problems with real external DF1

So I have got a Gotek installed internally on my 1200, which also has the gotek extension board, with OLED display, and it works well with no issues.

1200 has been recapped and running ClassicWorkbench, and it runs rock solid, with very few problems.

But have noticed an issue, and i don't think it's related to the firmware flashed onto the gotek.

I have two external floppy drives, and they all have exhibited, the same problem.

Connect two drives, and DF1 doesn't work properly or read disks, but sometimes it does, and most disks appear as DF1:???????? ot DF1:NONDOS and Format also errors with error#21 But remove the disk and put it into DF2 the disk is read without issues, and format works.

Swap the external floppy drives around and df1 still has problems and it's a different external drive, so i can conclude it's not the drive. Put both of these floppy drives on my other A1200 which still has a floppy DF0, i don't have any problems.

So i can only think that the Drive A and B on the Gotek could possibly be causing an issue with DF1?

I have disabled the Drive B in the HxB Gotek software when you boot into it. But I still have the problem when I have booted into workbench from CF:HDD.

Gotek was flashed with HxB and now with FlashFloppy.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks again

Scam

Old 16 December 2017, 22:19   #2
scam3r

Update

the board is a 2A AT, but it seems to have the floppy fix already applied to it, as it works with normal chinon internal drive when connected.

Old 17 December 2017, 07:07   #3
Jeff_HxC2001

What i found curious is why you have replaced the HxC firmware ? Any particular reason ?
The compatibility with the HxC tools and this HxC-firmware-clone is not guarantee at all for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 17 December 2017 at 07:16.
Old 17 December 2017, 21:26   #4
scam3r

When I purchased the gotek from retronicdesign, it stated that HxC had been legitimately purchased. But I did observe problems with DF1 with this firmware also.

I installed flash floppy, hoping it would resolve the problem, and I would have been able to have a OLED display, and sound, which the device doesn't have when I purchased it.

Before installing "flashfloppy" i had not looked into the background or legitimacy of the firmware...

Old 18 December 2017, 00:09   #5
Snyfls
Heavy Metal Hamster

Swap Gotek with internal floppy drive in the other Amiga and try it with this one. If there will be no issue there might be something wrong in your recapped Amiga, connector or behind connector?
Or swap Gotek with internal floppy in your recapped Amiga if you did not try both external floppy drives plus internal before to find out if both external drives work.

Trying different firmware, Cortex 1.05 for instance, would help to find out if its caused by firmware youre using now or not.

Edit: With connector I mean port of course

Last edited by Snyfls; 18 December 2017 at 04:13. Reason: Mistake.
Old 18 December 2017, 07:39   #6
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by scam3r View Post
I installed flash floppy, hoping it would resolve the problem, and I would have been able to have a OLED display, and sound, which the device doesn't have when I purchased it.

Before installing "flashfloppy" i had not looked into the background or legitimacy of the firmware...
FYI the HxC firmware also support OLED, sound, rotary :

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...hp?f=33&t=1683
Old 19 December 2017, 01:18   #7
scam3r

Looks like I have a few things to try out to troubleshoot this issue. Firstly i think i will put HxC back onto the Gotek, then upgrade to the latest version.

Then i will put the gotek onto my other A1200 to see whether the problem persists. This A1200 hasn't been recapped yet.

Hopefully i can do this over the next week or so, and get back to you... Thanks for you help so far.