English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 September 2001, 06:05   #21
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't know much about tapes really, as I never used them on my MSX other than to save games...

@retroman

NO Game worked at all, or this is happening just with a few games? Maybe those dumps don't work at all? And when you say it gets back to "MSX-DOS", you mean you go back to "MSX Basic", right?

Now, are you SURE your MSX has just 48 Kb of ram, or you made a test or something? (I know some MSXs haven't 64 Kb of ram, even being the standard.. some Spectravideo MSXs had just 16 Kb of ram.. I don't know about your model.) . I doubt you'll need 64 Kb of ram to run 32 Kb games. Try to run a 16 Kb game to test it anyway. And don't worry, I only saw 2 or 3 64 Kb games ever. And you wouldn't be able to play 128 Kb games anyway
Old 22 September 2001, 06:44   #22
Amiga1992

Yes, his MSX has 48KB. It;s one strange machine

Neener neener, my MSX has 64KB :P
Old 22 September 2001, 22:26   #23
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Bah
Mine has 512 Kb..

Some Spectravideos models had 16 Kb of ram.

Most MSX enthusiastic has 1 Mb those days. I've seen many MSXs with 4 Mbs, and I know a guy who said to have 64 Mbs on his MSX.

Not that you may want to know, but yesterday in a channel about emulators in Brasnet (the most used IRC server here in Brazil), a girl was asking for help to set-up the MSX emulator, because she wanted to play the "game with a little clown" (Circus Charlie), The Goonies, and the "racing game with stages in the city, the beach & the bridge" (Road Fighter)

She was so happy when she runned The Goonies.
Old 23 September 2001, 17:07   #24
RetroMan

@fissuras

The link you posted for "WAV GAMES" is the old link, the new one is that I have posted : http://msx.hop.to

@shatterhand

Well, the roms i´ll try are running on the emulator, so I think they also SHOULD run on a real MSX as well..... here´s a list of what games I´m able to play until now (all self converted to .WAV) :
- The Goonies
- Fruit Panic
- JetSet Willy II
- and 3 other games I really don´t know the exact names as they are in japanese

now for the good news : I hopefully get a TURBO-R tomorrow, hardly can´t wait for it the MSX got a fixed place in my all-time-fav computers now and I think I will establish the Turbo-R as my second main computer, right after the A1200

keep MSX´ing guys, this thread is kewl

Oh btw. does anyone got an overview list, of what games are available for the Turbo-R (I mean Turbo-R-Only games, are there any ??)
Old 24 September 2001, 04:57   #25
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well , The Goonies is 32 Kb, so it's not memory...
maybe the dumps are bad or something...

YOU'RE GETTING A TURBO-R ????? How did you get one? How much it costed?????

I am envy of you.. and I am sure I am not the only one here to be

Well, Turbo-R only games.. there's a few of them. There's Illusion City, a huge RPG (It comes in 11 disks), Zone Terra (a vertical shmup), 2001 snooker, a Fight game I can't remember the name now... Ragnarok's fight, or something like that, it plays better than SF2 in Amiga . Sonyc runs beautifully in the Turbo-R too (in a MSX2+ it's already pretty smooth, but it rocks in a Turbo-R), I also saw a video of a FANTASTIC shmup in a MSX fair this year, and someone said it was a new game, and it was turbo-r only.

www.aamsx.org it's a good place to search for new msx games... most of them take advantage of the Turbo-R
Old 24 September 2001, 07:53   #26
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Well , The Goonies is 32 Kb, so it's not memory...
maybe the dumps are bad or something...
Well, if the dumps were bad, they wouldn´t run in the emu I guess, but they do
Quote:
YOU'RE GETTING A TURBO-R ????? How did you get one? How much it costed?????
A friend of mine bought it a year ago on a Book-Market and since then, NEVER used it So I went over to him and asked, if he would like to sell.... I´m not sure about the price he wants to have, but maybe I get it for swap with some PC goodies like a HD or something, that´s what I got here laying around
Old 24 September 2001, 18:17   #27
Amiga1992

ARGH! I wanted to bring one from Japan, a Panasonic A1ST. Almost got it!

I feel like Shatterhand Anyway, be sure to play FRAY with the Turbo R!

And post pics of your machine once you get it
Old 24 September 2001, 19:12   #28
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
ARGH! I wanted to bring one from Japan, a Panasonic A1ST. Almost got it!

I feel like Shatterhand Anyway, be sure to play FRAY with the Turbo R!

And post pics of your machine once you get it
Sure, only problem is, my DigiCam is broken, so I will take the normal Cam and scan the photo´s afterwards Anyway, it seems that I have to wait one more week for my Turbo-R since my Friend will be away to work outside our Hometown for a week ! BUT, I just got a Sony HitBit HP75D and maybe I´ll get a extern FDD Drive (think it´s called HP30 or something) ..... at least that one got REAL 64KB I´ll also post pics of that one l8r
Old 25 September 2001, 00:35   #29
Amiga1992

That HitBit is wicked, wtf do you live? Japan or Brazil?

How about finding one for me mate? I pay top dollar

(btw, which Turbo R model are you getting?)
Old 25 September 2001, 00:58   #30
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
That HitBit is wicked, wtf do you live? Japan or Brazil?
Nope, Germany .... look at "Location" at my Avatar
Quote:

How about finding one for me mate? I pay top dollar
Well, the HitBit is a MSX1 also, thought you were looking for a MSX 2 ??????????
Quote:

(btw, which Turbo R model are you getting?)
AFAIK my friend has a PANASONIC FS-A1 GT, but I´m not quite sure !!!
Old 25 September 2001, 05:40   #31
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Uhuhuhu

Retroman is getting all MSXs around

Yeah, Fray has a dedicated Turbo-R version, it's probably smoother and prettier than the MSX 2 version. Pretty good game, if you like Jap RPGs.

The Turbo-R also has the FM chip built-in (Like the MSX2+), so you'll be in a treat in the sound department.

Now maybe you could buy a cartridge slot expansor, and get an IDE interface, an Scsi Interface, CD-Rom, Zip-Drive, HD, CD-ROM, Modem, then you install Uzix, and browse the web with your Turbo-R (by the way, you can do this all with you MSX1 too )
Old 25 September 2001, 08:30   #32
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Retroman is getting all MSXs around
Yep
Quote:

Yeah, Fray has a dedicated Turbo-R version, it's probably smoother and prettier than the MSX 2 version. Pretty good game, if you like Jap RPGs.
Think I have to try that one later
Quote:
Now maybe you could buy a cartridge slot expansor, and get an IDE interface, an Scsi Interface, CD-Rom, Zip-Drive, HD, CD-ROM, Modem, then you install Uzix, and browse the web with your Turbo-R (by the way, you can do this all with you MSX1 too )
Uhhh, calm down a bit ..... I don´t have THAT much money, I´m just getting those I have posted above, cause I´m able to get them cheap (for example cause People don´t know, what they got in their hands )

@Shatterhand

Could you perhaps make a little TOP 10 with your personal fav. MSX games ??? Would like to know .....
Old 25 September 2001, 23:14   #33
Amiga1992

Uhmm.. got confused again, now with the Sony models too :P I know you live in Germany, my comment was a bit of a joke

Anyway, isnt the A1GT the one that brings a Moonsound module instead of the FM-PAC?

You are in for a treat nonetheless.
Old 25 September 2001, 23:46   #34
RetroMan

All I know about the sound is : "PCM sound chip which can produce digitized sound up to 15 KHz "

That one´s inside the little Baby
Old 26 September 2001, 07:39   #35
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

No no, afaik, there's NO msx model with a MOONSOUND inside.
The moonsound is really INCREDIBLE, when I was in that MSX fair, someone was playing Sonyc, and someone came and said "Wait a sec, while I plug the Moonsound"...

Then, suddenly WOOOSHH, you get clear, perfect, fantastic, loud sound. Everyone in the room instatly looked to that MSX to see what the hell was that..

My fav MSX games? Huh.. it will be hard to choose only ten.. I'll try to keep my list as short as possible

Aleste 1, 2 & Gaiden (All MSX2), excellent shmups
Metal Gear 1 & 2 (Both MSX2), arcade adventure
Penguin Adventure (MSX 1). that's an MSX classic, everyone loves this one.
F1-Spirit, The Way to Formula 1 (MSX1) - Racing game, it looks like Road Fighter, but it plays a lot better, with lots of different categories to race (from Stock Cars to F-3000 and F-1)
Treasure of Usas (MSX 2) - Take a look at the "fav platform thread"
Zanac & Zanac EX - More excellent shmups from the shmupmasters, Compile
Knightmare (MSX1) - Another MSX classic, another nice shmup set in medieval times
Eggerland Mystery (MSX1) - Puzzle game, much like "Chip's Challenge". It's the game that originated the "Lolo" series for NES
Puyo Puyo (MSX2) - Puzzle game of the Columns kind (MSX Columns is also great)
Castle & Castle EX - You're getting this one today
Fiirebird (Hinotori) (MSX 2) - Shmup with some adventure and exploration
Pennant Race 2 (MSX 2) - My fav baseball game ever!
Space Manbow (MSX 2) - Fan-tastic horizontal shmup
Firehawk - Thexder 2 (MSX 2) - Shooter platform game, better than the PC version.
Nyancle Racing (MSX 2) - Cute racing game with overhead view
Pay-load (MSX 1) - one of the most original game ever, guide a truck through japan, delivering cargos, paying taxes to pass through highways, watching out for the cops and fatigue. It's like Elite on a truck players competitive mode
Konami's Ping-Pong (MSX 1) - Conversion of the arcade game
Super Laydock 2 (MSX 2) - Shmups with horizontal and vertical stages
Super Runner (MSX 2) - Great platform game, with a very cool 2
Konami's Soccer (MSX 1) - One of the best soccer games ever!

Aff.. it seems to be much more than 10 games those are the games that I most play on my MSX.
Old 26 September 2001, 07:46   #36
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

For some reason my post above got fucked-up

After payload, it should appear
"Super Runner (MSX2) - cool platform game, with a great 2-players competitive mode"

Actually, Super Runner is only worthy for the 2 players mode, as playing it against the CPU gets boring too soon...
Old 26 September 2001, 10:28   #37
RetroMan

@Shatterhand

Hmm, seems I got to download all those games and test them intensivly

Btw. the Turbo-R my friend got is broken .... THIS SUCKZ
I will get it, no matter if it´s broken, but I´m not sure if I can fix it (well I´m sure I can if I only find the error )

Anyway, I got a new oportunity to get a MSX2 (Philips VG 8325 or something like that) ..... and hopefully at the weekend the Sony HitBit arrives here, can´t wait to get those

Yesterday I played Bomberman on MSX which is quite funny, no overkill game, but quite funny .....
Old 27 September 2001, 06:36   #38
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Bomberman.... Most people think Bomberman was born in the PC-Engine system, but actually he first appeared in the MSX!

To be honest, I think 90% of Hudson games for MSX are just average or worse. The only GOOD game from them I can think now is Star Soldier (Yeah, another sucessfull Hudson series, was born in the MSX too)

Hope the problem in the Turbo-R can be easily fixed, it would be a shame to have such a great computer, and never be able to use it..

Oh well, you're getting other MSX.. how many of them do you have now? 20? Where did you find this MSX 2? it's hard to find MSXs 2 around as, who knows its value doesn't want to sell it, and who doesn't know just throw it away in the bin...
Old 27 September 2001, 07:41   #39
RetroMan

Well, currently I only got ONE msx computer (Philips VG-8010), I HAVE BOUGHT the Sony HitBit HB75P, but it´s not here yet and I want to buy a MSX2 which I saw in the newspaper (it only says : "Old computer for sale, Phone ......... ") so I called and he told me the name that´s standing on the case

Edit : btw. CASTLE is great, I played it more that 7 hours until now (just for some rest in the moment )
Old 27 September 2001, 18:32   #40
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Well, currently I only got ONE msx computer (Philips VG-8010)
Ahh weakling, at least mine has 64KB of RAM

I want a Sony HB-F1XDJ! Or an HB-F1XD

I love the red FDD