English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 21 August 2008, 20:56   #1
Marcuz

Exclamation [Buglist] EoB 1 AGA - EoB 1 ECS Multilanguage

Download here the current version of the game
- v1.09 AGA multilanguage on 22.12.2006
- v1.083 ECS multilanguage on 03.11.2006

This thread is intended as a milestone for future bugfixing and betatesting, being the old threads pretty garbled and in parts obsolete.

Please note
Since the game has been repackaged to run from Workbench only, please report:
the exact configuration and OS you use to run it;
if the bug you spot appears in both the AGA and the ECS version;
which language of the translations are you using.

General notes for BOTH the versions of the game

-reports of some cache problem, be wary of this when playing on real amigas.
-the game require a SCALOS free environment to avoid some occurring graphic glitches and odd crashes.
-in Winuae only, if you notice graphic glitches without SCALOS, try to run the game with JIT disabled.
-in Winuae only, if you still spot graphic glitches running without SCALOS and JIT, try full collision level, cycle exact cpu and blitter, more compatible cpu emulation and match A500 speed.
this way the emulation is sluggish.
if you turn the collision level to sprites and sprites vs playfield, you get the error only once in a while and the emulation speed is acceptable.

Language note.
All the language versions of the game needs to be tested from native speakers.

AGA

Confirmed.
Quote:
  • - none yet.
Reported.
Quote:
  • - when you return from automap, your characters' panel will have a trashed line (1 pixel high, brown color) at the top.
  • - sometimes the wall colors (black) in the map have beige lines, randomly. And sometimes not all blocks you've visited are connected: randomly there is a block that looks like it is disconnected with a clearer line on one side.
  • - if you quit from the game there'll be a GURU.

about this point, NubeCheCorre says:
    Quote:
    Using SnoopDos i have seen that it failed to load the eob font from FONTS: so i copied the eob font from eob dir to sys:fonts/

Checking the libs in the eob directory i found that the diskfont library in eob is older than the one installed with amiga os 3.9. Could this be a problem ?, that's because quitting from the game and ( try ) to return to Workbench causes to me an hardware reset..
  • - the WHD slave makes slow OS switches loading\saving.
  • - Illegal instruction error (Whdload) / guru (non Whdload) after killed Xanathar, before the teleportation.
ECS
Confirmed.
Quote:
  • - with WHDload's version, lowlevel.library don't work so you need use file 'data-ecs/languages/eob1.language' to force your language
[EDITED after CFOU!' report, 01/2014]
Reported AGA/ECS.
Quote:
  • - Illegal instruction error (Whdload) / guru (non Whdload) after killed Xanathar, before the teleportation if automap was used in game.
------

Missing features AGA/ECS
Quote:
  • - Automap for the ECS version.
  • - Special quests added to the maps in cheat mode.
  • - Make the pointer turnable, in the map; maybe using the little keypad in the right side of the keyboard instead of the 4 arrow keys.

Last edited by Marcuz; 28 January 2014 at 15:57.
Old 07 September 2008, 15:33   #2
CFou!

- Illegal instruction error (Whdload) / guru (non Whdload) after killed Xanathar, before the teleportation.

=> I CAN'T PRODUCT IT ON MY REAL AMIGa OR winuae

Others peoples have this bug??? (using EOB1aga V1.09)
Old 07 September 2008, 19:53   #3
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

are the links above still directing to the latest version?
Old 07 September 2008, 20:30   #4
Marcuz

they are there for that very reason
Old 06 July 2009, 18:45   #5
Jgames

Can more work and bug fixing be done on this AGA version?, it would be rally great
I quit playing EOB1 on the pc mainly because of the lack of an automap.
Old 13 July 2009, 14:01   #6
iliak

Wink

Hi

I'm in the process of making a Eye of the Beholder clone / remake in C#/OpenGL. You can have more informations there : http://arcengine.wordpress.com/.

I'll post a new beta soon with support on ground and flying items, monters..

Iliak
Old 14 July 2009, 16:49   #7
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NubeCheCorre View Post
I have solved the problem about automap

Using SnoopDos i have seen that it failed to load the eob font from FONTS: so i copied the eob font from eob dir to sys:fonts/

Checking the libs in the eob directory i found that the diskfont library in eob is older than the one installed with amiga os 3.9. Could this be a problem ?, that's because quitting from the game and ( try ) to return to Workbench causes to me an hardware reset..
just thought to add this one for CFOU! to check.
Old 07 July 2010, 19:48   #8
hexaae
Bug hunter

Hi mates!
No news about this great project? I still offer my support...

CFOU! MIA?
Old 03 December 2010, 18:37   #9
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Is the link in OP the FINAL version of EOB AGA?

If so is it 100% working? I fancy a challenge, but don't wanna get into it only to find it can't be completed.
Old 03 December 2010, 22:43   #10
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Is the link in OP the FINAL version of EOB AGA?

If so is it 100% working? I fancy a challenge, but don't wanna get into it only to find it can't be completed.
the game has not been updated since december 2006, so the warnings in the first post up here are still there. CFOU! could not address them, as far as i know.

I have anyway completed the game playing it in a Scalos free environment, to the point when you kill Xanathar, afterward, the game crashes, at least on my setup and playing it in italian (i don't remember if it does happen in other languages too).
Old 06 December 2010, 00:10   #11
Vairn
The Grim-Button

I guess it crashes trying to play the end animation?
Since that wasn't in the PC version, there might be no gfx for it? Or will it use the non-aga gfx.
Old 06 December 2010, 00:44   #12
Marcuz

yep i think that too
Old 09 August 2012, 00:28   #13
Marcuz

[obsolete, 12/08/2012: see post below]
Can somebody test EoB I multilanguage ecs version WHD and/or non-WHD (I don't know if both are in the final package released by CFOU!) with last version of Winuae and report if they can or cannot save the game?

I know that I did at the time I installed them, and I think I have not changed anything in those directories ever since, except the version of Winuae but when after years I have tried to play and save the game, it kept asking me for Disk 2, blocking the game.

I've tested with a ClassicWB install and with a simple Workbench 3.1 clean install, factory A1200 configuration, with the same results.

Thank you!

Last edited by Marcuz; 12 August 2012 at 21:15.
Old 12 August 2012, 21:14   #14
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
Download here the current version of the game
- v1.09 AGA multilanguage on 22.12.2006
- v1.083 ECS multilanguage on 03.11.2006

This thread is intended as a milestone for future bugfixing and betatesting, being the old threads pretty garbled and in parts obsolete.

Please note
Since the game has been repackaged to run from Workbench only, please report:
the exact configuration and OS you use to run it;
if the bug you spot appears in both the AGA and the ECS version;
which language of the translations are you using.

General notes for BOTH the versions of the game

-reports of some cache problem, be wary of this when playing on real amigas.
-the game require a SCALOS free environment to avoid some occurring graphic glitches and odd crashes.
-in Winuae only, if you notice graphic glitches without SCALOS, try to run the game with JIT disabled.
-in Winuae only, if you still spot graphic glitches running without SCALOS and JIT, try full collision level, cycle exact cpu and blitter, more compatible cpu emulation and match A500 speed.
this way the emulation is sluggish.
if you turn the collision level to sprites and sprites vs playfield, you get the error only once in a while and the emulation speed is acceptable.

Language note.
All the language versions of the game needs to be tested from native speakers.

AGA

Confirmed.

Reported.

ECS
Confirmed.

Reported.

------

Missing features AGA/ECS
As of Winaue > 2.4.2 to be able to save the game if it is installed on a hdir volume, to avoid size check overflow, be sure to check the option that makes all directory harddrives to appear as less than 1G harddrives, in Winuae misc panel.

This applies to all version of EoB I installed on directory harddrives, to the original game too.

Thanks Toni Wilen!
Old 07 December 2012, 10:46   #15
john4p
Competition Moderator

Started playing EOB1 AGA yesterday. Worked flawlessly until I've reached this place:

There's a hole in the wall where you can place a gem and then press a switch to get a key for this gem.
But with this version the gem is transformed into a scroll which when I take it transforms into the icon for "shocking grasp" and the item is called "mouse pointer":

When I put it on the floor it turns into an empty hand icon.
When I let it on the floor and then move away by 1 field it turns into a scroll again and another field away it transforms into the "commission and letter of marque"-icon.

When I load the saved game (before the transformation of the gem) in the ECS version the same bug occurs:

Btw., this "mouse pointer" item can't be put in inventory or used as a key.

Someone know a fix for this?

Last edited by john4p; 07 December 2012 at 11:25.
Old 07 December 2012, 18:23   #16
Marcuz

That usually happen - generally speaking about EoB series - when there has been some manipulation of the hex codes for items, resulting in either an unexisting code or a code for an item that already exists interacting with the dungeonview of the same floor.

If you have not edited the savegame manually, then that's some error left in the actual game files by CFOU! when converting the VGA files to AGA, probably, and there's no solution to that.

You can always extract the savegame and try to use it with the ECS version though.
Old 07 December 2012, 21:11   #17
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
That usually happen - generally speaking about EoB series - when there has been some manipulation of the hex codes for items, resulting in either an unexisting code or a code for an item that already exists interacting with the dungeonview of the same floor.

If you have not edited the savegame manually, then that's some error left in the actual game files by CFOU! when converting the VGA files to AGA, probably, and there's no solution to that.
That's unfortunate (haven't edited the savegame). Well, I'll try to proceed without these keys then.

Quote:
You can always extract the savegame and try to use it with the ECS version though.
I did and the savegame loaded fine, but the same bug occurs.
I even went three floors upstairs so it'd load a different tileset. Then went back to 9th floor and the gem was still transformed into a "mouse pointer".
Old 07 December 2012, 22:37   #18
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
I did and the savegame loaded fine, but the same bug occurs.
I even went three floors upstairs so it'd load a different tileset. Then went back to 9th floor and the gem was still transformed into a "mouse pointer".
Argh... There's nothing to do except the editing option: check that thread with the item codes, to see if you can substitute the mouse pointer item code with the one of the correct key.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65383

Sadly this whdload install is bug ridden...
Old 08 December 2012, 09:20   #19
john4p
Competition Moderator

Okay, thanks for the explanation (and all the research that you've done finding all these codes for items). I could try to replace my 5 gems with "jeweled keys" then. But I'd rather get through the game without editing the savegame so I'll first try to kill all the drow and skeleton warriors in the levels above. Maybe that way I don't need the transformed gems...
Or maybe I find some more lockpicks somewhere now that Tod Uphill has been resurrected. They're still lying on level 1 and I can't get back to the sewers from level 4.
Old 11 December 2012, 14:18   #20
john4p
Competition Moderator

The bug isn't gamebreaking at all. Still finished the game without any further problems (automap really lowers this game's difficulty a lot).
But after beating the beholder there only was a page of text displayed and when clicking on "more" I was thrown to Workbench with this error:

The Readme for EOB1 AGA states "AGA endsequence GFX created" so the loading of this endsequence seems to fail.

EDIT: Nevermind - the ending loads fine with the non-WHDLoad version.

Last edited by john4p; 11 December 2012 at 15:17.