English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 08 July 2023, 18:09   #61
kipper2k

It is very easy to work within the board itself, add footprints, nets it is very simple.

links would include the places where you can view the original authors info/ schem, theory of operation, for example...

https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=827

MKL's page for fastmem,

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

My schematic uses the original 64 pin arm chip (which is now becoming available agsin)

etc, all needed info would be there and i would paste links on back of board. ( no room on front}

So if you waive that clause to me, can i forward on to a seller. i do not want the hassles so it is no good to me
Old 08 July 2023, 18:13   #62
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

Do you mean you aren't using EESchema but doing modifications right into Pcbnew???
Old 08 July 2023, 18:17   #63
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukkoPera View Post
Do you mean you aren't using EESchema but doing modifications right into Pcbnew???
The only thing i open is the board file, everything is done from within there, it is very fast and all my old eagle files can be imported very easily.

I can import a big eagle file into the board, cut/copy bits i want and delete the rest, just need to rename nets if needed. dont even need to use kicad footprints etc if i dont want to
Old 08 July 2023, 18:20   #64
Lemaru

Then that would mean the PCB file would need to be released.
Old 08 July 2023, 18:21   #65
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemaru View Post
Then that would mean the PCB file would need to be released.
yup no problem, but even a gerber viewer would reveal all, not an issue, plus i intend on keeping it 2 layer so nothing hidden. The board has zero DRC errors now
Old 08 July 2023, 18:22   #66
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
for agnus, mechanical side is done, layout done, coding is slow due to ongoing Buffie work. Define commercial use, is it a storefront or a hobbyist or both ?
Commercial use generally means anyone who is selling or making use of something for financial gain. So if I made some boards and sold them for 50% profit on top of the cost, then that would be deemed as commercial use. If I sold the boards for the exact price they cost, with no markup, and I would not be making a single penny of profit, then that would not be. At least, that's what it generally means.
Old 08 July 2023, 18:30   #67
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemaru View Post
Commercial use generally means anyone who is selling or making use of something for financial gain. So if I made some boards and sold them for 50% profit on top of the cost, then that would be deemed as commercial use. If I sold the boards for the exact price they cost, with no markup, and I would not be making a single penny of profit, then that would not be. At least, that's what it generally means.
Remember when pistowm came out, real high prices galore abounded until amigakit came along, they have a nice price but build time is long and people need to be paid for their time, this board would take at least 20 hours for a full build (depending on what you want to add tthere could be at least 5 CPLDs on there. and testing after each addonso this should be a fair price built... Anyone got suggestions on a fair price ?
Old 08 July 2023, 18:31   #68
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

No, that means no release is possible.

I try to keep my projects as clean as possible, with matching schematics and boards, including all the footprints, adding notes, etc. Probably better than many companies doing PCBs do. This is because one of my goals is DOCUMENTING how stuff is made, so that people can study it and modify it even in 50 years (blah blah, already said that, I know).

Having the schematics up-to-date is essential for that, also because once you do what you are doing, it's very difficult to turn back. If someone wants to pick up your work, makes even a minor change to the schematics and updates the board, it will likely get into a broken an unrepairable mess.

Also, without the schematics you cannot do DRC and maybe not even ERC, which just means you are incredibly prone to making silly mistakes and waste a run of boards. Also you miss mass component data update and who knows how many other things. You are just doing it wrong.

NO WAY, I do not accept that, period. If you want to do any modifications, you need to draw clean schematics first and then follow the normal Kicad process. If you do that in Kicad 5 it's even better (V6 was full of bugs, still haven't tried V7 though).

If you don't understand that, well, I'm sorry, but it's not the direction I want my work to take.
Old 08 July 2023, 18:31   #69
Lemaru

Quote:
yup no problem, but even a gerber viewer would reveal all, not an issue
The problem with Gerbers and a gerber viewer is that it wouldn't allow others to then modify the design or contribute to the project even further, which is kind of the whole point of it being open and the source files being available to start with
Old 08 July 2023, 18:36   #70
kipper2k

k, time for me to move on
Old 08 July 2023, 18:37   #71
Lemaru

Quote:
Remember when pistowm came out, real high prices galore abounded until amigakit came along, they have a nice price but build time is long and people need to be paid for their time, this board would take at least 20 hours for a full build (depending on what you want to add tthere could be at least 5 CPLDs on there. and testing after each addonso this should be a fair price built... Anyone got suggestions on a fair price ?
PiStorms weren't *high prices galore* until AmigaKit came to town..other than a few US sellers (probably best not to name.them) who took advantage and a couple of others that were known about. we ran group buys which kept the prices reasonable and for LOADS of these out for cheap. At one point the developer even considered closing the project due to people taking advantage which also mad people think twice about the stupidly high markups. Once the main stores all started getting stock then prices stayed reasonable. AmigaKit wasn't even took early on the scene with PiStorm.

It's sad that people taking advantage of projects is the reason why some awesome stuff has never been released, or that developers get out off releasing stuff
Old 08 July 2023, 18:54   #72
Lemaru

Quote:
No, that means no release is possible.

I try to keep my projects as clean as possible, with matching schematics and boards, including all the footprints, adding notes, etc. Probably better than many companies doing PCBs do. This is because one of my goals is DOCUMENTING how stuff is made, so that people can study it and modify it even in 50 years (blah blah, already said that, I know).

Having the schematics up-to-date is essential for that, also because once you do what you are doing, it's very difficult to turn back. If someone wants to pick up your work, makes even a minor change to the schematics and updates the board, it will likely get into a broken an unrepairable mess.

Also, without the schematics you cannot do DRC and maybe not even ERC, which just means you are incredibly prone to making silly mistakes and waste a run of boards. Also you miss mass component data update and who knows how many other things. You are just doing it wrong.

NO WAY, I do not accept that, period. If you want to do any modifications, you need to draw clean schematics first and then follow the normal Kicad process. If you do that in Kicad 5 it's even better (V6 was full of bugs, still haven't tried V7 though).

If you don't understand that, well, I'm sorry, but it's not the direction I want my work to take.
KiCad 7 is actually pretty good..glad 6 didn't hang around too long. Shame that one you upgrade your designs to the 7 format, you then can't open them in the older version though, somkeep backups of the originals when you do switch..
Old 08 July 2023, 19:01   #73
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

Well, if you have your stuff on git, it's not an issue .
Old 08 July 2023, 19:54   #74
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

Quote:
k, time for me to move on

I guess it's time to ask yourself: what is better for the community? A quick gerber-only hack or a polished contribution that anyone can pick-up, maintain and improve anytime?
Old 08 July 2023, 21:59   #75
kipper2k

Quote:
I guess it's time to ask yourself: what is better for the community? A quick gerber-only hack or a polished contribution that anyone can pick-up, maintain and improve anytime?

LOL, a quick gerber hack(s) and by the way get it right, editing the PCB, (that work that benefit the community or a control freak that wants to sit on the throne !! Do you really think that many people want to know whats goin on, THEY WANT to play their computer. I will help them out, will you ? You won't allow me to have a reseller that can disburse working boards, you want to control the disbursement of boards that no longer sell, have fun on your throne!

You stated that i didnt read your posts, i stopped when i lost all respect for you for calling me a loser, from that point on it was just me teasing you lol.

Feel free and show me your polished improvements that people can pick up and maintain and improve anytime. If the community benefit then i would be happy. I already provided you with some links so it should be a piece of peepee for you

Oops, sorry forgot to mention there were 1076 DRC errors on your board downloaded from the github, mine has 2 which are because of jumpers... Bloody Luvly mate!

Sooo, here is the bottom line, if i cant do all these upgrades listed on page 1 using this board i will use another way to try to help the community, maybe sukkopera will chime in and help... Let me know if you need an oxygen bottle so you don't have to hold your breath for too long. I hear he has signed up for "Debate 101" class

Last edited by kipper2k; 08 July 2023 at 22:55.
Old 09 July 2023, 00:36   #76
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Sooo, here is the bottom line, if i cant do all these upgrades listed on page 1 using this board i will use another way to try to help the community, maybe sukkopera will chime in and help... Let me know if you need an oxygen bottle so you don't have to hold your breath for too long. I hear he has signed up for "Debate 101" class
No disrespect to sukkopera but you've got a cracking sense of humour Kipper!

@sukkopera Having read the ups and downs here, is there no chance of a compromise? After all this is Kipper2k and not just your average individual, trying to make a fast buck.
Old 09 July 2023, 00:57   #77
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

Quote:
i stopped when i lost all respect for you for calling me a loser

Sorry? When did this happen?
Old 09 July 2023, 15:49   #78
Lemaru

Quote:
Oops, sorry forgot to mention there were 1076 DRC errors on your board downloaded from the github, mine has 2 which are because of jumpers... Bloody Luvly mate!
That's due to you opening a Kicad5 file in a newer version of Kicad, and it introducing issues. Kicad seems to have a few quirks when converting designs from older versions to the latest, most have been covered loads on the Kicad forums (like the unconnected end issues and stuff). If you open the file in the version of Kicad in which it was created (Kicad 5) then are no errors or warnings.

Quote:
** Drc report for Raemixx500.kicad_pcb **
** Created on **

** Found 0 DRC errors **

** Found 0 unconnected pads **

** End of Report **
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kicad Raemixx DRC.png
Views:	43
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	79584  

Last edited by Lemaru; 09 July 2023 at 15:57.
Old 09 July 2023, 16:16   #79
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
No disrespect to sukkopera but you've got a cracking sense of humour Kipper!

@sukkopera Having read the ups and downs here, is there no chance of a compromise? After all this is Kipper2k and not just your average individual, trying to make a fast buck.
He could always create his own board from scratch, rather than use someone else's I guess. Draw the schematic, design the PCB from scratch, done. Or just use the SMD500 files as a base (It has been proven working as I know people who have them, despite the PCB being a mess with unconnected and overlapping tacks).

Sukko has already said he would waive the Non Commercial aspect for Kipper to sell boards, so I don't understand what the issue is there with the reselling thing.

At the end of the day, had Sukko only ever released the gerber files and not the Kicad files (like many others do), then no one would have been easily able to modify it anyway and this wouldn't even be a thing.

It really is understandable why people keep stuff closed. I mean, people like TerribleFire now even have a non-derivative licence on their boards now, so you can't legally modify or remix them at all other than for private use. Edu Arana only releases gerbers for some of his stuff rather then the build files, DJBase has now totally removed all the gerbers for his designs so you can only buy them from a reseller or blank boards from PCBWay. Plenty of others do the same to stop people taking advantage of there work without permission.

I'm all for open source stuff and remixing, and learning from others work. Many people learn this way before creating their own projects. But then people should always be respectful of the original creator. Unfortunately I don't see much respect here
Old 09 July 2023, 18:19   #80
kipper2k

It is all done and dusted, i will create non licensed boards and i will not put any restrictions on them... I do not care about making money,