English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 June 2008, 15:36   #1
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

4xEIDE Buffered Interface - Primary Port 2.5" not working?

Hi guys,

My 4xEIDE buffered interface works fine on my A1200 when I use 40-pin cables with the primary and secondary 3.5" ports, but if I plug anything into the primary 2.5" port it isn't recognised.

If all I have plugged into the A1200 is the interface and a 2.5" hard disk, I just get the purple 3.1 kickstart screen.

The same hard disk, when plugged directly onto the motherboard or into one of the 3.5" ports using an IDE cable and a 40-44pin adapter, works perfectly.

Any suggestions?

I searched the forums and found mention of the "pin 1" problem where sometimes the red wire of the IDE cable has to be cut, but I wasn't quite sure if this applied here and besides, I don't have any spare cables to start cutting. Maybe I'll have to try this?

Steve.
Old 18 June 2008, 15:48   #2
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Steve

If you are techy minded try using a multimeter to do a continuity test between the 44pin & 40 pin port 0 connectors should be 1 to 1 except for 42-44 which supply the +5V to the IDE device. Also check for bad solder joints.

The Pin 1 issue you mention is the Reset line and applies to older HD's which had a longer spin up time than KS would wait to boot from the HD, If cut then the Hd is not reset when warm booting the machine.

I doubt this is your problem as the HD boots from cold when connected to the 40Pin port 0. But to check just do a warm reboot (CTRL A-A) when the Load floppy screen appears .

Let us know how you get on

TC

BTW you are not trying to use the 40 & 44 pin connectors on port 0 at the same time, as that cannot & will not work.
Old 18 June 2008, 16:00   #3
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not using the 40 & 44 pin connectors on port 0 at the same time, just a 2.5" hard disk on the primary 2.5" port for now. I will add other devices later when I've cracked this first bit.

There is something curious I've just noticed though:

See the tiny white wire on the front view? The wire is not there on the picture on, for example, Amigakit's website.

There is also a very tiny "thing" attached to one of the soldered joints, you can see it very close to the white wire, five pins from the left.

I got this interface off eBay, looks like somebody's tried a repair?

I've not got a multimeter, or anything like that I'm afraid.

Steve.
Old 18 June 2008, 16:09   #4
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Steve,

Thanks for the pix, that has really helped, I've Followed the tracking via the through hole up to both connectors, it does appear that some one has repaired the track at some point, but it does all follow through correct especially as the 40 pin is after the 44 pin, & the link is connecting the same pins,

You have got your PIN 1 orientation right ???? on the 44 pin port 0

mmm strange will study the pix a bit longer, The other part is a SM resistor & possibly part of the design, again if the 40 Pin works then the 44 pin should too as they are both supplied from the same point after the resistor.

I haven't seen this type of Interface close up before, maybe Zetro can give us his advice too.

TC