English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Music

Old 12 August 2019, 17:26   #1
lost_lemming

Floppy disk I'm willing to give out £64 to anyone who can mod protracker 3.15 with MIDI sync!

I was gonna use the H word but used 'mod' instead as it's under copyright to
Cyptoburners 1993. and I don't wanna get into trouble. maybe I can even contact them and ask them but I have no idea if they're still around

So yeah, just like what OctaMED does, a simple stop/start MIDI clock lock. I tried running 2 protrackers with the same tempo and with testing (of a metronome click sound), after about 10 or so patterns, one of the amiga's will just be ahead slightly (or behind) and it will get wider and wider apart as the song goes on.

I know some one's gonna come along and go, well, why don't you just use OctaMED then, well I much prefer the workflow of the sampler section in PT. and I think the VU scopes look cooler lol.

EDIT: oh and for an extra £64, get that filter section working too. They put it in there like they were a meant to finish it but it's clearly UN-finished, you press 'do it' and it does nothing put blink a bright colour. That filter thing actually looks sick! it's got all the different types of filter LPF/HPF etc with ramps and stuff.
Old 12 August 2019, 21:19   #2
lost_lemming

well? 50 odd views and no reply? you want me to charge more?

it can't be that hard can it, just editing some source code to send out MIDI ticks.
There's loadsa space on 3.15 for a toggle button, you could have just 1 3-way toggle button
MIDI sync: off / master / slave
boom.

Maybe I contact that 8bitbubsy guy, would he be able to do it? he made that recent 2.3E, I have no idea what the main new feature was but I remember reading it and not being that excited by it - - not that I don't appreciate his work and the happiness he brought to people because of it though
Old 12 August 2019, 21:41   #3
Agilent

If its
1. "not that hard"
2. "just edit some source code"

Why don't you just do it your self…..
Old 13 August 2019, 13:14   #4
S0ulA55a551n

I can.t imagine this is an easy task. Going to guess protracker is written is assembler and there is no commented sourcecode.

Does protracker have any midi functionality at all?

Would think you would need to add at least one zero to the end of that to get people interested , you offering at best a few hours worth of work , its going to take a lot longer than that
Old 13 August 2019, 17:20   #5
lost_lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I can.t imagine this is an easy task. Going to guess protracker is written is assembler and there is no commented sourcecode.

Does protracker have any midi functionality at all?

Would think you would need to add at least one zero to the end of that to get people interested , you offering at best a few hours worth of work , its going to take a lot longer than that
yeah I get what you mean... so £640 !!! hmmm. I don't think it's worth it anymore, people don't have a lot of free time these days so yeah, not just about the money. Plus how would I know to trust some one well enough to not run away with the money and do nothing lol

No PT 3.xx never had MIDI. Only MED / OctaMED. I think another one had it actually, noisetracker 2? but it wasn't anything comprehensive. Just MIDI notes in or out, no Sync.

Think I'm just gonna have to stick with PT3.15 for what it is, do my work in it, nudge the tempo's forward/back (a bit like an oldschool DJ would do, to beat match) but when it comes down to the final recordings, load up the mod in OctaMEDs and sync it hard that way. I do love that PT workflow though. (not that OctaMED isn't bad, I mean... I grew up with OctaMED!)

So yeah gonna cancel this request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilent View Post
If its
1. "not that hard"
2. "just edit some source code"

Why don't you just do it your self…..
yeah I understand now bro. wish I could code but it's a whole 'nutha ball game as they say.
Old 13 August 2019, 18:14   #6
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming View Post
Think I'm just gonna have to stick with PT3.15 for what it is, do my work in it, nudge the tempo's forward/back (a bit like an oldschool DJ would do, to beat match)
You could use http://pt1210.abime.net instead.

Your request is far from simple, and btw, there's MIDI code in some Protracker versions, it just never worked and nobody ever cared to fix it or make it work.
Old 13 August 2019, 23:16   #7
lost_lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
You could use http://pt1210.abime.net instead.

Your request is far from simple, and btw, there's MIDI code in some Protracker versions, it just never worked and nobody ever cared to fix it or make it work.
I can't believe I slept on that app for so long, even though my mates kept going on about it! with my ignorance I didn't even know it could run on old workbenches/revs or whatever on the Amiga its self but I can tell you now I am SO happy finding out more about it today and trying it!

BECAUSE - I did some sync tests and it locks harder than PT 3.15 its self! that is the win win bit for me! they've nailed it!
my 1200's probably have different specs (what, with the different brand expansion/'trapdoor' thingies) but PT struggled with a same BPM setting but this software seems to be a lot better! even mods with lots of long samples.
So yeah. I'll deffo be donating some cash to the makers of this program!! so happy!
Old 14 August 2019, 13:24   #8
S0ulA55a551n

Glad to see you have your outcome dude

Is that program that is basically traktor for two miggies ?

Quote:
I can't believe I slept on that app for so long, even though my mates kept going on about it! with my ignorance I didn't even know it could run on old workbenches/revs or whatever on the Amiga its self but I can tell you now I am SO happy finding out more about it today and trying it!

BECAUSE - I did some sync tests and it locks harder than PT 3.15 its self! that is the win win bit for me! they've nailed it!
my 1200's probably have different specs (what, with the different brand expansion/'trapdoor' thingies) but PT struggled with a same BPM setting but this software seems to be a lot better! even mods with lots of long samples.
So yeah. I'll deffo be donating some cash to the makers of this program!! so happy!
Old 14 August 2019, 16:57   #9
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
They have a discord channel and they said their sync is actually better now, so... also i don't think they take donations of any kind. A new version is in the works with more bugs squashed features added and things.

And yeah it's kind of a single-deck traktor, soul assassin. It's pretty col.
Old 19 August 2019, 00:15   #10
lost_lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
also i don't think they take donations of any kind. .
yeah I guessed that.
still waiting for an email reply... I'm offering to donate a lot for basically saving my life and making my life happy because of it!

right off the bat I would of just sent them/him £100 !!! not even kidding! how they got it to sync lock so good I don't know.

obviously back in the day I'd have to master the skill of running 2 x protracker 3.15's and adjusting the BPM on the main page every 10 patterns of so but with PT1210 I'm confident as soon as I hit play on both machines!

PT1210 is THE answer to protracker two-times sync! you do you work with the 2.3D/3.xx (which ever you prefer) and run it/record it on PT1210.

P1210 was designed for the DJing aspect but the lock is too good to ignore for that 8 track sensation! if you know what I mean