English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 July 2015, 22:25   #41
Sir_Lucas

Go for Blizzard 1230/50 IV. You won't regret it. Also, 32MB with 030 is ok.
Old 22 July 2015, 22:40   #42
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
My ACA 1231/42 works fine without timing fixes. But it seems like you have an excuse for a pint if yours doesn't. Win win!

Chris
Yep. I haven't needed any timing fixes with both ACA1231/42 and ACA 30/56 using 1D1 boards, only with the Indi MKII and highgfx. Just to point this out.
Old 23 July 2015, 10:11   #43
Daedalus

Ah, not to worry. I'll be around all next week anyway should things change. I do happen to be in Galway from time to time since I've friends there - in fact my stag party will be there in October but probably won't have a chance for meeting. I'm sure something could be arranged at some stage anyway!
Old 26 July 2015, 18:50   #44
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ah, not to worry. I'll be around all next week anyway should things change. I do happen to be in Galway from time to time since I've friends there - in fact my stag party will be there in October but probably won't have a chance for meeting. I'm sure something could be arranged at some stage anyway!
Congratulations Got married myself last year to the wonderful woman who bought me my A1200. We can keep the feelers out and sort something in the future.
Old 26 July 2015, 19:10   #45
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Lucas View Post
Go for Blizzard 1230/50 IV. You won't regret it. Also, 32MB with 030 is ok.
There were two available on AmiBay, but they're both gone now I might be in a position to get one in the next two months.

There is a new, lower cost offering: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1251

At least, I can't find any other info on it so it seems to be new.
Old 26 July 2015, 19:30   #46
deling

i have ACA 1232 33 overclocking to 40 mhz work like a TANK very fast card faster then blizzard 030 50 mhz !!! very fast memory access that is very important with 030 accelerator ! my ACA work with WB 32 colors 1024 x 768 resolution very very fast doom speed is like 040 25 mhz in my Amiga 4000

short word - never old blizzard with sick price !!!! NEVER

Old 27 July 2015, 13:39   #47
Daedalus

Cheers Yeah, that's a new card from Jens. Nice price, not nearly as powerful as an 030 card, but still a nice boost over the bog standard A1200. Worth considering alright!
Old 27 July 2015, 18:45   #48
BarryB
Amigaholic

I managed to get a MK-IV 1230/50 with FPU and 32mb for £184 recently, and as I already have a SCSI kit that will fit it I have 2 x 128mb waiting to be installed, just need the bloody thing to arrive now!
Old 27 July 2015, 21:30   #49
TenLeftFingers

Yes BarryB, I was watching the same one as you, but hoping it would come down a little first. No need to rub it in

Just kidding, congrats to you and I hope you get good mileage out of it.
Old 27 July 2015, 21:57   #50
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'm sure you'll get one, they do show up occasionally.
Old 28 July 2015, 03:14   #51
snoopy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I managed to get a MK-IV 1230/50 with FPU and 32mb for £184 recently, and as I already have a SCSI kit that will fit it I have 2 x 128mb waiting to be installed, just need the bloody thing to arrive now!
That's going to be a nice workbench screen when it boots and you see 256 Mb
Old 28 July 2015, 03:17   #52
snoopy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I'm sure you'll get one, they do show up occasionally.
I bought one about a year ago, used to be a couple showing up each week. This is a very "liquid" Amiga accelerator. I'd guess it is perhaps the highest selling accelerator ever.
Old 14 August 2015, 16:08   #53
TenLeftFingers

Well, after Reido very kindly loaned me his ACA I was able to determine that my machine does need some work done. I've found someone in Ireland who can do it which greatly reduces the cost. He's quoting 40 for a recap and 20 for the timing fix.

He says that different cards require different timing fixes. Is this correct?
I'm also curious, if I have a timing fix done for a card, does this mean the machine won't operate as reliably when the card is removed?

Reido, thanks again. It's such an amazing gesture to do something like that with valuable and now possibly rare hardware.
Old 17 August 2015, 12:47   #54
Daedalus

Ian Stedman (Stedy on here) has some excellent information on his website about the timing fixes:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._mobo_fix.html

Some cards are more sensitive than others due to how they work and how tight their timings are, and the actual fix involved also depends on the version of the motherboard and custom chips used (specifically Budgie). Performing the fixes Ian talks about shouldn't cause problems without the accelerator as all the fix does is clean up and tighten the signal.

Jens himself also posted some information about this: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1359

Which sounds like the fix I did on one of my A1200 many years ago. Worst case scenario, if you keep the components that are removed (and they're not too damaged by the removal process), you can have them reapplied at a later date. I would suggest a heavy soak test once the work's done to ensure it's stable though!
Old 17 August 2015, 15:10   #55
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ian Stedman (Stedy on here) has some excellent information on his website about the timing fixes:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._mobo_fix.html

Some cards are more sensitive than others due to how they work and how tight their timings are, and the actual fix involved also depends on the version of the motherboard and custom chips used (specifically Budgie). Performing the fixes Ian talks about shouldn't cause problems without the accelerator as all the fix does is clean up and tighten the signal.

Jens himself also posted some information about this: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1359

Which sounds like the fix I did on one of my A1200 many years ago.
Thanks Daedalus that looks like the all the info I would need. Although, I don't have any soldering kit any more.

Quote:
Worst case scenario, if you keep the components that are removed (and they're not too damaged by the removal process), you can have them reapplied at a later date. I would suggest a heavy soak test once the work's done to ensure it's stable though!
Okay, that's a great point - there is little to loose given enough care. I might contact make a few calls and see if anyone nearby still has their soldering iron and desoldering tools.