English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 November 2019, 19:37   #1
muppets4

New guy messing up

I am new to the Amiga scene, not new to retro computers. I remember them being state of the art (:

Today I got my first A1200 in the mail. I hooked it up to a Philips CM8833 monitor by using SCART. Got a picture, but wasn't happy with it. So I selected another resolution, for what I THOUGHT to be less high. I think I mistakenly selected a higher resolution.
The screen is black with a band moving fast from down to up. I saw on a forum to delete the file screenmode.prefs and after a while I knew where to look (right mouse button and select CLI). But it did not help. Other suggestions I read were to delete files into DEVS:monitors. But I am done deleting files while I do not know what will happen. in DEVS:monitors/ are four files that are adjusted today: PAL.info, HighGFX.info, NTSC.info en HighGFX
This is what I get for acting without knowledge. So I deserve punishment. But this has been punishment enough. I hope (:

Anyone care to help? I do not have any floppys ):
Old 09 November 2019, 20:34   #2
redblade
Zone Friend

Nederlands or Flanders? Welcome to the forum. You don't have to delete the files from Devs/Monitors you can/should move them back to Devs/Storage if not in use.

What resolution did you choose with Prefs/ScreenMode ?? a quick look says your monitor is only 15khz and WILL NOT SUPPORT VGA type frequencies of 30khz.

If you boot the amiga with both mouse buttons hold down, does the boot screen display?
Old 09 November 2019, 21:02   #3
muppets4

Nederlands (:

The boot screen does display. Very sharp image. I don't know what resolution I selected. I probably am too much used to Windows, which cancels when not approved within 15 secs.

Last edited by muppets4; 09 November 2019 at 22:26.
Old 09 November 2019, 23:50   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppets4 View Post
Nederlands (:

The boot screen does display. Very sharp image. I don't know what resolution I selected. I probably am too much used to Windows, which cancels when not approved within 15 secs.
Ok, that's good that the bootscreen dispalys. Do you have Pal/NTSC amiga? I'm guessing you brought a PAL one, it would be PAL if it comes with nederlands keyboard also, UK, French, German, Viking.

but yeah boot up into bootmenu (both buttons on mouse held down when turning on the amiga).

Click on boot options.
Select Dh0: or hd0:
Click on >Use

Click on >boot with no startup-sequence

Choose to boot on dh0: or hd0:

type at prompt
assign env: ram:
prefs/screenmode

select PAL 640x256
and go right click (on mouse) goto menu and do "Save as"
Drawer: Sys:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/
File: wbconfig.prefs

See if that helps. A photo would be nice of your problem?!!?