English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 July 2014, 15:04   #1
trixster
Guru Meditating

Indivision AGA MkII vertical lines, banding and ghosting!

Hi all! Anyone know how to get rid of the vertical lines, blurring and ghosting with the Indivision MkII on an A1200? I'm running a DVI-VGA adapter in order to get it to work with an old-ish 18" VGA only LCD monitor.

I'm using v1.1 of the firmware and v1.1 of the config (as I don't know quite how to update the Preferences config programme to v1.2) along with Retrofans SuperPLUS config files for an 800x600 desktop and correctly proportioned games. I don't really want to update to v1.2 of the firmware as I believe it is not complatible with SuperPLUS?

Setting the config to VGA-only does not fix the lines and ghosting. I've tried two different DVI-VGA adapters and two different vga cables. When I go direct DVI-DVI into a different, newer monitor the picture is perfect, so it must be an issue with the adapter or the Indivision AGA MkII.

The Indivision is grounded and the VGA only LCDmonitor works perfectly when hooked up to a PC.

Any help greatly appreciated. I think it must be interference from the DVI signal but I don't know how to fix it!
Old 21 July 2014, 15:44   #2
liviux76

Hello!
What revision is your main-board?

It could be a problem that you can solve "shorting" the E127R Resistor...

I had to do that fix on my Rev 2b in order to have a perfect image with my Indivision MKII AGA.

Check online for more information about the fix, it is very easy, indeed. Here on EAB there is more than one thread about it...
Old 21 July 2014, 16:56   #3
trixster
Guru Meditating

It's a Rev 2b. Any idea why the E127R might be causing an issue with VGA? As I said, if I go DVI to DVI on a different monitor there's no issue with image quality.
Old 21 July 2014, 19:19   #4
liviux76

Actually I don't know why you are having problems with vga and not whit dvi...
I was experiencing problems with both the output...
Anyway, as far as I understand, shorting the resistor you give "more power" to the video and that solved my issue...
Certainly someone more expert than me could give you some better explanations and tell you if there is something else that you can try..
Old 22 July 2014, 01:17   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
...I'm using v1.1 of the firmware and v1.1 of the config (as I don't know quite how to update the Preferences config programme to v1.2) along with Retrofans SuperPLUS config files for an 800x600 desktop and correctly proportioned games. I don't really want to update to v1.2 of the firmware as I believe it is not complatible with SuperPLUS?
You should update to 1.2beta, you can download it from here: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK2 and save that file over the former Indivision preferences, then reboot and follow again the steps to load and save my config. I've updated my post there.

That is the version that should be used with the SuperPlus config file (I've just taken from here and there; Ratte, Hansel and a few of me...). Anyway you must see if you had those vertical lines with other configs to see if you have any problem with your Amiga to use the indi mk2.

Anyway I use and I recommend a fan over the indi.

Last edited by Retrofan; 22 July 2014 at 01:46.
Old 22 July 2014, 13:11   #6
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Must get this done on mine too - incidentally, where's the best ground point for the Indivision on an 1200? I don't mind making a longer cable, but there's nowhere obvious to attach it unless I use the RF shielding, or the ground on the PSU plug.
Old 25 July 2014, 21:05   #7
trixster
Guru Meditating

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Retrofan, I've followed your instructions and updated to v1.2 of the config but it makes no difference, I still get banding and ghosting using vga.

Any thoughts?
Old 25 July 2014, 21:39   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

There are known problems between some mobos and the indi that can be fixed, like this for flickering http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/flickerfix (but no ghosting problem related), although they mostly appear using HighGFX. Check first another screen mode like Pal High Res Laced and also a fan over the indi if the problems take time to appear.

Did you try also taking out the indi and cleaning the pins of Lisa with a rubber eraser/sandpaper and isopropyl alcohol? I guess it can be that.

Also try with another monitor .

Last edited by Retrofan; 25 July 2014 at 22:26.
Old 30 July 2014, 21:43   #9
trixster
Guru Meditating

Hi,

I've tried cleaning and re-seating the indivision, same problem. I've tried a different monitor (not vga, just dvi-dvi) and the output is perfect, so this is definitely a dvi->vga issue. The problem occurs immediately so I don't believe it's a heat issue.
Old 30 July 2014, 23:39   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Then it's your monitor. Don't you have HDMI on your Tv? Kipper2k sells these wonderful adapters http://www.kipper2k.com/amigaforsale/ . But you will have to take out the RF modulator. Ask me how if you are going to make that . Anyway dvi or hdmi will be better than vga (digital Vs analog).

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 July 2014 at 23:48.
Old 31 July 2014, 22:01   #11
trixster
Guru Meditating

It's not the monitor, the monitor works perfectly when it is fed a vga signal from a pc, so it is a problem with the indivision. I have tried two different types of vga cable and two different dvi-vga adapters. I'm sure it's interference from the dvi signal. Is there such a things as a dvi-vga cable (not using an adapter) which filters out the dvi signal?
Old 31 July 2014, 22:07   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Is there such a things as a dvi-vga cable (not using an adapter) which filters out the dvi signal?

I haven't heard about them with that filter, try asking Kipper2k about the matter.
Old 31 July 2014, 22:11   #13
trixster
Guru Meditating

I'll give him a try. Thanks for your help so far Retrofan, it's appreciated. It's just annoying that a £100+ bit of kit doesn't work as well as I expected and there doesn't appear to be an easy fix.
Old 01 August 2014, 01:08   #14
Stedy

Hi,

Have you tried a DVI-A cable, it's one with a White DVI plug one end and a blue VGA plug the other end?

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...red%20Products

Some of those DVI-VGA dongles mess up the analogue video slightly as they do not maintain a controlled impedance I had some minor issues with an Nvidia card, traced to a cheap DVI-VGA adaptor dongle, using the aforementioned cable, the signal was greatly improved.

Ian
Old 01 August 2014, 02:24   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
I'll give him a try. Thanks for your help so far Retrofan, it's appreciated. It's just annoying that a £100+ bit of kit doesn't work as well as I expected and there doesn't appear to be an easy fix.
But it's also true than once you've spent it, you better use dvi or hdmi to have the best out of it . That's my opinion. Also I woudn't put the blame on the indi if it's the cable that gives the problem. I remember when I bought a vga to s-video adapter for my C=64 I was blaming it and finally it was the s-video cable from the C=64 the culprit http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...hlight=s-video ; the cable was needing some resistor or something.

I like to help because I had also problems, and it took me a long time to have the SuperPlus mode of Ratte working; finally I had to make my own config file with the help of Ratte and Hansel as well.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 August 2014 at 02:45.
Old 01 August 2014, 15:47   #16
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

I suspect it's the same problem I'm having. My DVI to VGA adaptor is probably configured to go the other way anyway. I can see my spending on a 22" TV with HDMI inputs soon.

Any ideas on where best to ground the board BTW?
Old 01 August 2014, 17:31   #17
Amicol

Hi,

I used to get ghosting when DVI was enabled on that screen mode. Turning it to just output VGA cured the problem.

If this doesn't help, I'm stumped...
Old 01 August 2014, 17:36   #18
amigasith

Quote:
Any ideas on where best to ground the board BTW?
I soldered the grounding cable of my Indy to the A1200 lower metal shield. You can have a look in my thread here (1st picture at the top): http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67932

I am using a CRT monitor and a DVI to VGA adapter bought from Vesalia - the picture is crystal clear.

Hope this helps
Old 01 August 2014, 21:33   #19
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigasith View Post
I am using a CRT monitor and a DVI to VGA adapter bought from Vesalia - the picture is crystal clear.

Hope this helps
Can you give the link of the adapter? If it's Vesalia selling them, then they have to work right with the miggy.
Old 01 August 2014, 22:05   #20
amigasith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Can you give the link of the adapter? If it's Vesalia selling them, then they have to work right with the miggy.
The adapter was a configuration option when I ordered my Indy - I can't seem to find it as a separate item to order I fear you have to send them an email asking whether those adapters can be ordered separately.