English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 April 2013, 18:15   #1
mips

Emulator for Linux?

Using 32-bit Arch Linux on my old laptop and I need to install a emulator for Amiga. Previously I used e-uae but that seems kinda out of date and I keep seeing people mention fs-uae.

So which emulator should I install that's pretty current and actively developed. A GUI front end would also be cool even if it a separate application.
Old 14 April 2013, 18:29   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae is actively developed, comes with a GUI frontend (launcher) and uses a very recent WinUAE core as the base (which is updated on regular basis too). That should pretty much cover your needs
Old 14 April 2013, 18:41   #3
mips

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae is actively developed, comes with a GUI frontend (launcher) and uses a very recent WinUAE core as the base (which is updated on regular basis too). That should pretty much cover your needs
Thank you squire!

Busy installing fs-uae-devel 2.1.35dev-1 and fs-uae-launcher-devel 2.1.35dev-1 from AUR as I type this

Edit: Seems to be working, let me just go find my ks rom and other files I backed up yonks ago to one of my many hard drives...
Old 14 April 2013, 19:39   #4
mips

Ok, I launch it from the gui and I hear the disk sound while my cpu goes to 100% usage and then it seems to just hang.

What's the system requirements for fs-uae? I looked at the website but could not find anything.

Trying to run it on a HP nx6110 laptop, Celeron M 360 (OC'ed to 1.87GHz), 1.5GB RAM, Onboard Intel GPU.
Old 14 April 2013, 20:00   #5
ma693541
Computer Wizard

@mips, check this link; http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...rements+fs-uae maybe that will give you answers.
Old 14 April 2013, 21:27   #6
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mips View Post
Thank you squire!

Busy installing fs-uae-devel 2.1.35dev-1 and fs-uae-launcher-devel 2.1.35dev-1 from AUR as I type this

Edit: Seems to be working, let me just go find my ks rom and other files I backed up yonks ago to one of my many hard drives...
At least grab the more recent and stable release 2.2.0 from here:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.p...e&do_Search=Go

Edit: I'm afraid that the Celeron you have is way too old and not powerful enough to run modern cores of UAE. After all we are talking about a 9 year old CPU which was the lowest of the Intel line at the time.

Last edited by AmigaFriend; 14 April 2013 at 21:33.
Old 14 April 2013, 21:55   #7
mips

Those are the packages I have.

I recall being able to emulate the Amiga on lesser hardware back in the day. Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 14 April 2013, 22:03   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'd wait for Frode to comment here before giving up

Do you get at least the kickstart screen if you start without a disk inserted?
Old 14 April 2013, 22:21   #9
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mips View Post
Those are the packages I have.

I recall being able to emulate the Amiga on lesser hardware back in the day. Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry I did not wanted to discourage you from trying, was just pointing out that since FS-UAE is based on the same core as WinUAE and since the latter improved greatly in accuracy in the last years, so did the minimum requirements for running the core smoothly. I had a ThinkPad with a Pentium 4M 1.70Ghz that run well WinUAE in 2008, now would be near impossible to run WinUAE smoothly without a more modern configuration.

But as TCD says wait a bit for Frode to be able to respond here, he is the grand master of the emulator, maybe he has some tricks he could share with you and in that way you could take some leverage of your old hardware.
Old 14 April 2013, 22:37   #10
mips

Quote:
Do you get at least the kickstart screen if you start without a disk inserted?
I get no kickstart screen. All I get is the 'noise' of the floppy being accessed, at one stage I even heard music after I booted giana sisters adf but no video whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFriend View Post
Sorry I did not wanted to discourage you from trying, was just pointing out that since FS-UAE is based on the same core as WinUAE and since the latter improved greatly in accuracy in the last years, so did the minimum requirements for running the core smoothly. I had a ThinkPad with a Pentium 4M 1.70Ghz that run well WinUAE in 2008, now would be near impossible to run WinUAE smoothly without a more modern configuration.

But as TCD says wait a bit for Frode to be able to respond here, he is the grand master of the emulator, maybe he has some tricks he could share with you and in that way you could take some leverage of your old hardware.
No need to be sorry. I'll wait for Frode to comment and see what he says.

Maybe there's even even a lightweight emulator that I could look into if this does not pan out.
Old 15 April 2013, 00:08   #11
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, it's difficult to give an exact minimum spec (and it also depends a bit on how hard the Amiga hardware is pushed, I suppose). I can only refer to my own experience...

I have an old Acer Aspire One (with an Intel Atom CPU). That one is barely fast enough to run A500 games at more or less 50 fps, but only on lowest accuracy level, and with some other tuning (no video sync, 16-bit video, etc). See http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/performance for more info. With an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 Ghz, A500 and most A1200 games will run @50Hz on highest accuracy level.

I do not know how well your system would run FS-UAE. We cannot simply compare CPU Hz these days :-/

But FS-UAE should not "hang" if the system is too slow. By the sound of it, it seems like you don't get any Amiga display at all? Can you confirm that? Is your screen only black? (Can you see the gray color transitions while kickstart is booting / running the self test?).

You should post FS-UAE.log.txt. There may be some interesting info about your GPU and/or OpenGL driver...

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 15 April 2013 at 00:14.
Old 15 April 2013, 16:23   #12
mips

No I don't get any display at all. From the gui when I click start all I get is the little popup window saying starting fs-uae and i can hear the floppy controller but no display.
Old 15 April 2013, 16:31   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe you need to install OpenGL drivers?
Old 15 April 2013, 16:45   #14
mips

Quote:
Maybe you need to install OpenGL drivers?
Code:
<user>@asterix ~]$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

[<user>@asterix ~]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.1.1
OpenGL extensions:
Old 15 April 2013, 16:59   #15
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe too old driver/onboard graphics card for FS-UAE. I could imagine that you need at least OpenGL 2. Currently it's v4.3 for the latest cards.
Old 15 April 2013, 19:12   #16
Jonathan Drain

I have an Acer Aspire One too. Two years ago I had Windows on it and it was able to run Amiga games with WinUAE just fine. But now when I run WinUAE on Ubuntu with WINE it's too slow. I wonder what the difference is?
Old 15 April 2013, 23:25   #17
lesta_smsc

[quote=FrodeSolheim;881747]I have an old Acer Aspire One (with an Intel Atom CPU). That one is barely fast enough to run A500 games at more or less 50 fps, but only on lowest accuracy level, and with some other tuning (no video sync, 16-bit video, etc). See http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/performance for more info. With an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 Ghz, A500 and most A1200 games will run @50Hz on highest accuracy level.
quote]
I have one of these laptops! I cheekily used DOS Fellow which was amazingly fast... saying that, it also ran fast on my 166Mhz MMX PC back in the day!
Old 15 April 2013, 23:31   #18
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Okay, so the FS-UAE window does not even appear, as I understand you? (not even a black window..?) You only know it's running because you can hear the sound?

I would still like to see FS-UAE.log.txt if you could post that. Possibly nothing interesting in it, but who knows..

Could you also try to execute just "fs-uae" from a terminal? does anything interesting happen then?
Old 17 April 2013, 19:40   #19
lesta_smsc

Frode - do you think this might be a similar problem to what I had with Intel GMA?!...
Old 17 April 2013, 19:45   #20
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Frode - do you think this might be a similar problem to what I had with Intel GMA?!...
Not really, you did at least get an FS-UAE window, right?