English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 09 December 2002, 17:44   #1
Marcuz

Eye Of Beholder hacks collecting ideas

maybe i've proposed this already on another board (Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures by Autery, check it anyway, interesting), but now i have something slight different in mind...
is there anyone interested in screwdrive the code of Eob 1/2 to the purpose of customizing a new flamboyant adventure under waterdeep or some unknown thai city? as far as i remember there are utils to open the image files but none that i know for the mazes. nothing that i know about the code...
even if there are many pesky graphic artist lurking in the board i'll gladly put up some time to draw from zero monsters and walls if there is someone that is able to put the thing togheter.
as for the plot i would like to start a thread about it for fellows of the original saga.
Just my main goal is to make it feel like the first eob and the first levels of the sequel: loomy dark and misterious

please note that i do not want to offend nobody to put it in words as simple and that the whole thing is for our personal enjoyment only, if not else stated (i had asked info to westwood by e-mail some years ago but no response)

inputs?
Old 09 December 2002, 18:23   #2
Drake1009

As far as I could see someone made an EOB mod for Neverwinter nights.

They should've made it for Morrowind for 2 reasons.

1. EOB was first person, so is Morrowind compared to Neverwinter Nights
2. I have morrowind, but not neverwinter nights.
Old 09 December 2002, 18:34   #3
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Big grin If you're an EOB fan...

Do you know Eye of the Beholder is getting a 21st Century makeover and is being released on the GBA. Hopefully it's going to be another fantastic GBA port. Looking at screenshots of it, it seems they've totally redone the graphics. It's looking truly awesome.
Old 09 December 2002, 18:49   #4
oldpx

Do you mean hacking the game and modify stuff or port the game to another engine? If second one is the case, morrowind is indeed a good solution if first one is, I'm afraid it'll be as hard as impossible FRUA is an official editor pack, coding an editor by reverse engineering EOB would be too hard but possible anyway.
If westwood had released an editor it would just be great but there is not one.

@steve
this might be the reason to get a GBA for me....!

edit: On the other hand morrowind is a single character RPG and doesn't play like an AD&D game. Neither Morrowind nor NWN is suitable for this task

Last edited by Burseg; 09 December 2002 at 19:02.

Old 09 December 2002, 19:06   #5
oldpx

NWN players, check this out

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/110000/117606.shtml

Old 09 December 2002, 19:50   #6
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
@steve
this might be the reason to get a GBA for me....!
Same here mate.
Check this out:

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/366/366934p1.html
Old 09 December 2002, 20:28   #7
Drake1009

I'd still like to see it as a morrowind mod. With the Tribunal expansion pack you can hire mercenaries and get helpers to follow you around as well.

I don't have neverwinter nights and since I don't play that many RPGs on the computer I doubt I'll go buy it...even if there is a mod out for it.
Old 09 December 2002, 20:32   #8
oldpx

Quote:
But it's the gameplay that matters, and the IGNPC guys are pretty excited to hear what's coming to the GBA. The game takes place in a first-person perspective during the dungeon exploration portions of the adventure. When the team encounters an enemy, the game switches over to an overhead, isometric perspective where the turn-based battle takes place. In the battle, players move and assign moves to each member of their party in turn...when each player performed their task, the enemies get their turn.
This sounds lame to me EOB was a first person ACTION roleplaying game.

Old 09 December 2002, 21:03   #9
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs down Yeah...

I'm not keen on the over-head combat either. They're making the combat like all the poor early AD&D games like Treasures of the savage frontier etc. They should stick with the tried and tested EOB way. I'll keep an open mind though until I see it running.
Old 09 December 2002, 21:25   #10
Drake1009

I think that EOB should be EOB styled fighting even if it could get a bit hard with a GBA without a mouse.

I somewhat liked the fighting system of the other games which used that system. But from there and to using it in EOB (I almost type EAB every time, coincidence?) is a very big step I don't think they should take. The other games relied heavily on story and classic RPG gaming where strategy was needed for fighting whereas EOB was more of a quick and dirty hack/n/slash with a lot of quick puzzles.