English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 May 2008, 20:48   #1
Cerberus73

VGA to RGB and RGB to VGA

Ok folks i got 2 convertors ive had laying about for ages, both are vga to rgb, one is marked reuters on the VGA Dsub, this is a female type VGA, and the other is a male VGA to a large Socket with a small circuit board inside and 3 BNC type RGB plugs, i was wondering if one of these would be any good for getting a Signal from my a1200 to a SVGA screen, im thinking the one with the wee board might be some kind of 15 - 31khz scandoubler, as it seems designed to go from rgb telly type signal to vga (if i remember rightly they both came courtesy of a mate in the telly industry) i will try and furnish some images of these things, as they intrigue me and got me thinking... hmm a cheap scandoubler
Old 21 May 2008, 22:40   #2
Cerberus73

as promised here are some images of these cables/convertors

VGA to RGB Cable 1, this has a small circuit board inside that may act as a scan doubler

Second cable VGA Female to 3 BNC, no circuitry

Old 21 May 2008, 22:59   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Cerberus73

Now thats an interesting find!

I could advise better if there was a nice hi-res pic of the first one
Old 21 May 2008, 23:15   #4
Cerberus73

Will try zetro, my camera was not playing ball, the focus close in was mighty blurry. other info i can provide is on label on back says... WEY: VGA to RGB Converter made by Mighter Ltd, there some kind of hardware supplier to finacial institution such as the stock market, if i remember rightly it was some kind of interface from pc to large screens they had tickering prices
Old 22 May 2008, 00:31   #5
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

The Reuters one is probably for use with CGA (digital) capable displays that only have BNC inputs.

The one with the circuit board is VGA -> RGB.

You need the opposite.
Old 22 May 2008, 01:44   #6
Cerberus73

Hmmm true, but i figured if i can work out what the ic's were, and what it did i could use it as a start to building my own doo dah or reversing the output somehow, from rgb to vga, hell Zetr0 have u any plans for a scandoubler, flickerfixer? one that can be built cheaply from off the shelf bits from say maplin. as refuse to pay heaps for a simple dongle, dam even a commodore svga silverplug would be fine... shame i aint got one... lol anybody wanna trade for a 10 gig scsi drive (in enclosure, was for my mac quadra)
Old 22 May 2008, 02:40   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Cerberus73

Well my friend,

if you are considering almost anything to allow you Amiga to be hooked up to PC monitor there is another option to buying a new LCD TV / Graphics Card or expensive Scan Doubler / Flicker Fixer

let me introduce this Up Scaling Unit for around £34 (ebay buy it now auction)

Now this is the bigger brother to the one i have and infact its awesome! I have used this on both my 19" CRT and 42" plasma in very large screen modes.

The device scales all the images to a set resolution, for instance, should the device be set to display 1024x768 it will scale and Flicker Fix (de-interlace) any screen up or down.

for instance, my device will do 1280x960 and will scale any screen to it, including super hires interlace... without flicker... looks REALLY nice on my 42" plasma (i must take some pics of this)

The unit has many features including multiple inputs like 100 channel RF and SVideo, it also has a PIP (picture in picture)

the only points of concern are

the VGA in wont up scale / sync a 15khz signal source
the Composite input is a little washed but nothing compared to regular composite input on my TV
the (without SVideo adapter or a bit of hackery) no other way of input other than using the composite from the Amiga.

Anyway, I personally swear by the one i have, it really is awesome, so much so i sold both my internal SD/FF devices, but a word to mention is that your own experience may well vary, especially if you have an NTSC based Amiga.
Old 22 May 2008, 03:45   #8
Cerberus73

Zetr0 dude im honestly not willing to spend 35 ish quid on a box, as i have a great nick 1084, which is fine for games, and a spare LCD 15 inch which would be fine for more "serious" stuff, but to be honest cant see me ever doing serious work on the miggys, its mostly games, the PC and Mac take care of the more serious stuff, if i could pick up a SD/FF cheap, or cobble one together from bits and bobs and a set of plans cool, if not, its no big deal. its just i had these connectors laying around, and for life of me could not remember what they did exactly. it would still be nice to get one of the commodore silver VGA adapters for the video port of my 1200, as i do have a microvitec screen from a old archimedes 3000, which from googling appears to be a multisync capable of doing 15 - 31hz, shame its got a vga plug on the end wired into the screen. so cant connect the miggy video to it, well unless i get some adapter
Old 22 May 2008, 11:32   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Cerberus73

an adapter eh?

heres one hot off the MS paint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15khzvga.jpg
Views:	49828
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	16650  
Old 22 May 2008, 11:33   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

to remove any noise on the IC, just put a 100pf cap between the 5v (vcc) and the GND
Old 22 May 2008, 18:38   #11
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Cerberus73

Well my friend,

if you are considering almost anything to allow you Amiga to be hooked up to PC monitor there is another option to buying a new LCD TV / Graphics Card or expensive Scan Doubler / Flicker Fixer

let me introduce this Up Scaling Unit for around £34 (ebay buy it now auction)

Now this is the bigger brother to the one i have and infact its awesome! I have used this on both my 19" CRT and 42" plasma in very large screen modes.

The device scales all the images to a set resolution, for instance, should the device be set to display 1024x768 it will scale and Flicker Fix (de-interlace) any screen up or down.

for instance, my device will do 1280x960 and will scale any screen to it, including super hires interlace... without flicker... looks REALLY nice on my 42" plasma (i must take some pics of this)

The unit has many features including multiple inputs like 100 channel RF and SVideo, it also has a PIP (picture in picture)

the only points of concern are

the VGA in wont up scale / sync a 15khz signal source
the Composite input is a little washed but nothing compared to regular composite input on my TV
the (without SVideo adapter or a bit of hackery) no other way of input other than using the composite from the Amiga.

Anyway, I personally swear by the one i have, it really is awesome, so much so i sold both my internal SD/FF devices, but a word to mention is that your own experience may well vary, especially if you have an NTSC based Amiga.
Zetro master!! i'm quite surprise to read that you finally threw away all of your RGB upscan converters to finish with this composite upscan..so as you are the most reliable techie on this board, i'm going to trust and put my hands on one of these cheapos converters...just a last question : is there any lag perceptible because of signal processing (i'm thinking of intensive games such as slamtilt which cannot tolerate any delay to be really playable)

thanks master!
Old 22 May 2008, 19:54   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@pbarges

LOL, my friend, i am far from master (*just ask my wife LOL*), the above unit is really great, I am yet to try this in SVideo which should really improve its quality.

I have played,

Slam Tilt,
Cannon Fodder,
Speed Ball 2,
Chaos Engine
Fears
UFO: Enemy Unknown

to name just a few,

Workbench is in Hires Interlaced, (without flicker)

I havent noticed ANY slowdown in screen mode switching, although the composite is a little washed its actually better than composite from the A1200 to the TV

The big thing is though it looks awesome on my 42" plasma
Old 22 May 2008, 20:39   #13
jimbob005

Send a message via MSN to jimbob005
zetr0 dose it let you boot the amiga and work on the vga??
Old 22 May 2008, 22:25   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@jombob005

ermmm.... not sure how you mean.

but you can boot, and it will upscale the lot, all native screens the Amiga does to the setting of the device, mine is set at 16:9 1280x720 which is the max of my plasma.

I have not tried productivity screen modes in work bench just interlaced / none interlace...

I tell you guys what i shall take some pics and you guys can see for yourselfs
Old 23 May 2008, 18:48   #15
pbareges

on the last version i bought (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=170210255168) you can plug component signal on the VGA port with adapter...this may mean that the unit is able to sync RGB at 15khz!! i will let you know...
Old 07 June 2008, 14:14   #16
pbareges

really my friend no offense but it is HUDGE WASHING we've there....the box fit perfectly to my native lcd resolution but this is very far from my xrgb2 box....and you may call me a purist but there's still this delay that makes slamtilt unplayable according to me...i was hopping for something good because my plasma hd tv gives me very good rendering from composite input but my lcd monitor screen has a crappy upscan converter whether from scart or composite....i will stick to my xrgb2 box...but what this xrgb2 box has that is so special compared to others ? and why nobody is able to make something comparable ?...there's a component input also on the cheap box but i can't imagine a much better rendering given the crappy composite rendering.....still looking for the optimum amiga box!!!
Old 07 June 2008, 14:25   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@pbarges

Ahhh my friend, i think i know why there is such a difference of performance...

I am using a Plasma TV no LCD... but fear not my friend, I have some SVideo boards being made as I type and i have your name down for one

with this one should go quite comftably to the SVideo in of the LCD or via the Up-Scaler
Old 07 June 2008, 15:34   #18
SkippyAR

Can I ask what might seem a really stupid question or the subject of RGB devices. I have an AmiVGA box that's dependant upon software anyway to work.

Why is it the Amiga has a DBLPal (double mode) 31Khz video driver that can been used on most VGA monitors. Yet its shipped with video drivers built for CGA monitors (excluding the hardware progress timeline factor).

I ask the question, why the Amiga OS / WB never came with more support for VGA modes anyway? Is it due mainly to the limitations of its native hardware.

Everything pertaining to the Amiga seems to be a real pain the arse sometimes..

UPDATE: Just like to add that those AmigaVGA adaptors are a load of shit too because they don't support the full use of the Amiga RGB port. Because its missing the signals to my RGB TV - Hmm

Last edited by SkippyAR; 07 June 2008 at 15:46.

Old 07 June 2008, 15:58   #19
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyAR View Post
Can I ask what might seem a really stupid question or the subject of RGB devices. I have an AmiVGA box that's dependant upon software anyway to work.

Why is it the Amiga has a DBLPal (double mode) 31Khz video driver that can been used on most VGA monitors. Yet its shipped with video drivers built for CGA monitors (excluding the hardware progress timeline factor).

I ask the question, why the Amiga OS / WB never came with more support for VGA modes anyway? Is it due mainly to the limitations of its native hardware.

Everything pertaining to the Amiga seems to be a real pain the arse sometimes..
well in the days of yawwn, when hi-resolution monitors ment mega-uber-bucks !!! like several hundreds for a 15" monitor only capable of 800x600, I assume the decision was a financial one as TV's were in every home.
Old 07 June 2008, 16:05   #20
SkippyAR

Does OS3.5 have any support for VGA? Have they're been any drivers coded of recent that support VGA these days?