English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08 February 2015, 21:37   #21
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 42
Posts: 5,213
I've finally tested it and imho it's great! I would love a plugin version of it for photoshop, the results in the clarity and sense of color in reduction are far superior to saving a 8 color png with the same diffusion percentages!
Great work!

[edit] also the possibility to load palettes to apply could be cool, if you take suggestions for further development!
Marcuz is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 February 2015, 00:21   #22
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Hungry Horace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .
Age: 37
Posts: 2,482
Personally I love the Zx palette addition! Many thanks for that!

Maybe some other machines could be added. C64 or amstrad modes? Although they are not to my personal tastes / wants , it might expand the potential user-base?
Hungry Horace is offline  
Old 09 February 2015, 12:09   #23
AnimaInCorpore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Willich/Germany
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
[edit] also the possibility to load palettes to apply could be cool, if you take suggestions for further development!
What you actually can do is lock the colours of one image by setting the check on the upper left side. Now another image can be remapped to that selected colours by choosing the colour "Global". Not quite happy about how this solution works but... well, give it a try.
AnimaInCorpore is offline  
Old 09 February 2015, 17:27   #24
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 42
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
What you actually can do is lock the colours of one image by setting the check on the upper left side. Now another image can be remapped to that selected colours by choosing the colour "Global". Not quite happy about how this solution works but... well, give it a try.
[edit]I'm not sure at anymore of the striked part[/edit]
Ohhh! it's actually very interesting, I've just tested it. I don't mind the added step, but the new image gets remapped using the color proportions (the quantity or priority I think) from the old image, so disregarding the value differences in the new one.

The result is that the dithering must come it to reinterpret the image, and it is by necessity more present.
It's a cool experiment as you say, and I'll make use of it on occasion, but it's not a full remapping of the image, and that would be more accurate I think.

But seriously, this is a very nice software: It has just taken residence on my windows bar, as a Chrome application shortcut

Last edited by Marcuz; 09 February 2015 at 17:39.
Marcuz is offline  
Old 14 February 2015, 19:49   #25
Megol
Registered User

Megol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: inside the emulator
Posts: 304
How hard would it be to add "sliced" mode support, that is: changing x colors per scanline? I guess the IFF doesn't support it so maybe pretty hard
Megol is offline  
Old 15 February 2015, 08:35   #26
AnimaInCorpore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Willich/Germany
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
How hard would it be to add "sliced" mode support, that is: changing x colors per scanline? I guess the IFF doesn't support it so maybe pretty hard
It should be not that hard. I think I'll add it later on. In fact the IFF does indeed support a "line by line palette" feature so that's good news. I wonder if there's an application which can read those files though.
AnimaInCorpore is offline  
Old 15 February 2015, 13:07   #27
Megol
Registered User

Megol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: inside the emulator
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
It should be not that hard. I think I'll add it later on. In fact the IFF does indeed support a "line by line palette" feature so that's good news. I wonder if there's an application which can read those files though.
Cool, didn't know that! Always thought that the programs using sliced HAM and "dynamic hires" used custom formats.
Megol is offline  
Old 15 February 2015, 13:15   #28
AnimaInCorpore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Willich/Germany
Posts: 165
Update: another dither option added: "Checks". The obvious functions is to use alternating colour dithering. This is better for images with more details where the error diffusion would result in a "dirty" image. Only for images with equal or less than 64 colours (it's disabled on higher colour counts).
AnimaInCorpore is offline  
Old 15 February 2015, 15:41   #29
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 42
Posts: 5,213
Nice one!
Marcuz is offline  
Old 24 December 2015, 17:35   #30
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 42
Posts: 5,213
I've spotted something strange: when saving the image as IFF, the image gets a brown border few px wide on the right side.

That said, I keep marveling at the great result when reducing a 24bit png to a 8 colors IFF with the 4096 palette. I love it!
Marcuz is offline  
Old 24 December 2015, 18:35   #31
AnimaInCorpore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Willich/Germany
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
I've spotted something strange: when saving the image as IFF, the image gets a brown border few px wide on the right side.

That said, I keep marveling at the great result when reducing a 24bit png to a 8 colors IFF with the 4096 palette. I love it!
Could you please send me the image you're trying to convert? Possibly this is caused by the fact that the image width is not a multiple of 16 pixels!?
AnimaInCorpore is offline  
Old 30 December 2015, 09:19   #32
Trachu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Poland
Posts: 189
nice program but too bad it does not work with internet explorer
Trachu is offline  
Old 21 March 2016, 16:17   #33
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 42
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
Could you please send me the image you're trying to convert? Possibly this is caused by the fact that the image width is not a multiple of 16 pixels!?
Sorry I missed you reply; probably you are right, as the image width is 505 px; I reproduce it though and when saving now, sometimes I get a blacked out image (could be the palette chosen?), sometimes the black border to the right side.

I zipped two test images here.

Unrelatedly, it would be cool to have a simple resize option in program.
Marcuz is offline  
Old 21 March 2016, 20:22   #34
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Retrofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lanzarote/Spain
Posts: 5,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
[edit] also the possibility to load palettes to apply could be cool, if you take suggestions for further development!
I've just tried it and it's very nice

But in an Amiga to have the best colors applied you need to use FPPrefs, so your program needs to be able to load and use other palettes.
Retrofan is offline  
Old 22 March 2016, 08:39   #35
AnimaInCorpore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Willich/Germany
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
Sorry I missed you reply; probably you are right, as the image width is 505 px; I reproduce it though and when saving now, sometimes I get a blacked out image (could be the palette chosen?), sometimes the black border to the right side.

I zipped two test images here.

Unrelatedly, it would be cool to have a simple resize option in program.
The black border IFF saving issue has been fixed.

Resizing is actually on the list. I guess having a list of fixed (standard) resolutions to choose from is sufficient enough?
AnimaInCorpore is offline  
Old 22 March 2016, 12:04   #36
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 42
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
The black border IFF saving issue has been fixed.

Resizing is actually on the list. I guess having a list of fixed (standard) resolutions to choose from is sufficient enough?
Yeah, thank you! I do resizing in batches usually and that can be better done in external programs. Having standard resolutions in is just great!
Marcuz is offline  
Old 22 March 2016, 12:19   #37
AnimaInCorpore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Willich/Germany
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
But in an Amiga to have the best colors applied you need to use FPPrefs, so your program needs to be able to load and use other palettes.
Actually you can do that, however, in an awkward way.

At first load an image from which you want the palette mapped to others. Then choose "original" as the colour and click on the left checkbox which then makes that palette "global".

Now load other pictures which should be remapped and choose "global" as the color.

In the following screenshot you can see the left one is the original picture ("original" colors and checked) and the right pictures have been mapped to that palette ("global" colours).

AnimaInCorpore is offline  
Old 22 March 2016, 16:32   #38
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 42
Posts: 5,213
I just love this program.

I'm a bit confused by the various palettes though, is there a definition list or readme available?

One more request, also: would you like to add cbm64 dithering modes too?
Marcuz is offline  
Old 22 March 2016, 18:51   #39
AnimaInCorpore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Willich/Germany
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
I'm a bit confused by the various palettes though, is there a definition list or readme available?

One more request, also: would you like to add cbm64 dithering modes too?
Yes, the menu entries are still a bit confusing. I need to change that to make it more clear what you can do and I'll add some more "presets" so that it's easier to choose the right mode.

Yeah, I can think of supporting other machines as well.
AnimaInCorpore is offline  
Old 22 March 2016, 19:03   #40
AnimaInCorpore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Willich/Germany
Posts: 165
Also on the list: optional CRT emulation (based on the CRT shaders by Timothy Lottes) to improve the look of the generated pictures:

AnimaInCorpore is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Reminder "Lincs Amiga User Group aka "LAG" Meet Sat 5th of January 2013" rockape News 4 30 January 2013 00:06
CD32 Image-Name-Bug: "...(bla)[!].zip" -> "...(bla)[" / "...[test].zip" -> "...[tes" cfTrio support.WinUAE 8 18 December 2012 16:31
"Unable to open your tool 'Installer' "-Workbench 3.1 Mr B support.Apps 7 31 March 2011 00:14
Auto-position the "Select a floppy disk image file..." menu Maren request.UAE Wishlist 17 30 January 2010 15:44
"Unable to open your tool" S. Campbell support.WinUAE 31 12 September 2004 20:39

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09160 seconds with 14 queries