English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 19 November 2017, 18:49   #1
McTrinsic

Roadshow and AmigaExplorer

Hi,

anyone have Roadshow and Amiga Explorer in use?

For the heck of my life I can not connect to the Amiga.

I always get "There has been a resourceconflivt in accessing the Amiga resources".

I does work with MiamiDX.

I have disabled my AntiVirus-Program and my firewall for testing.

In Roadshow, I have already set "filters=off" in the config file.

Anyone have similar experiences?

I am running an OS3.1 ECS Amiga with an 030/50 and Ethernet via USB2Eth on a Rapidroad on an A500CP-Adapter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09 December 2017, 11:58   #2
McTrinsic

No one who has that combination working?

At least AExplorer who could try with the demo of Roadshow?
Old 09 December 2017, 13:10   #3
patrik

Tested it now against my A1200 with Kickstart/WB 3.1 and Roadshow 1.13. It works.

The Roadshow configuration is stock apart from what I had to change to be able to use it: adding the required interface file to Devs/NetInterfaces, edited Devs/Internet/routes and Devs/Internet/name_resolution.

The PC used is running Windows XP.

Regarding error messages. Until I changed the ip address in the windows configuration from the default 127.0.0.1 to the address of the A1200 I got an array of error messages. The first ones being quite helpful with rather detailed instructions of how to change from 127.0.0.1 to the correct one. However, that one does not appear all the time, I mostly got "There has been a conflict accessing the Amiga Explorer resources." plus I got the slightly different one you talked about where it complains there is a resource conflict also.

Does basic stuff like pinging the Amiga from the PC work?
Old 09 December 2017, 13:18   #4
McTrinsic

Great, thanks a lot!!!

Could you describe what you have changed in .../routes and .../name_resolution ?

I never changed anything there as it worked with DHCP almost out of the box.

So I only had to adapt .../netinterfaces.
Old 09 December 2017, 16:30   #5
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
Great, thanks a lot!!!

Could you describe what you have changed in .../routes and .../name_resolution ?

I never changed anything there as it worked with DHCP almost out of the box.

So I only had to adapt .../netinterfaces.
I use a static ip, so I have to set default route to my gateway in Devs/Internet/routes and set nameserver in Devs/Internet/name_resolution.
Old 09 December 2017, 16:54   #6
McTrinsic

Thanks, tried that.
I switches to fixed IP and disabled DHCP.

Didnt work

Any other idea?

I can ping (successfully ) to and from the Amiga to the PC that has the AExplorer as client.

Thanks, ...
Old 09 December 2017, 18:28   #7
Sinphaltimus

I'm interested in seeing this work as well although I gave up on AExplorer in favor of ftp but to be able to backup adfs and hdf would be great to ahve again.

Just to take it back to the beginning, did you edit the icon information in workbench for AExplorer and under windows? Windows needs the IP of the Amiga and the Amiga needs the correct tool type. by default I think it's set to serial device. The local host address of 127.0.0.x is for the serial connection when using that method on windows.

I myself have not tried going static ip[ or any of the other things listed here (yet). Waiting to see the outcome.
Old 09 December 2017, 20:45   #8
patrik

I did not change anything on the Amiga side of AExplorer to make it work. On the AExplorer windows side I only changed from 127.0.0.1 to the Amiga IP address.

Also, dynamic or static address should not really matter, as long as the Amiga will get the same address every time. Else you would have change the AExplorer setting on the Windows side every time you start your Amiga, which would be rather annoying.

You haven't considered SMBFS instead, where you just put the files on your computer or a server and access it as a normal drive using SMBFS from the Amiga side.
Old 10 December 2017, 22:02   #9
McTrinsic

I had some minimal success today.

I have the PC and Amiga on a local switch. The switch is connected to my router. Other devices are connected via power line.

I connected the Amiga via power line to the router and used a different Laptop. The laptop was connected via WiFi to the router.

Basically it worked. On the laptop I see the drives on the Amiga. I can see into the drives. Small files transfer. Larger files will eventually experience a TCP/IP connection loss, even when transferred from RAM Disk:

In any case the transfer speed is way low below the speed of my serial connection.
I even tried higher values for packet size, up to 20000.

I think I need a break .
Old 10 December 2017, 22:39   #10
patrik

Sounds like you have issues with your local network. If your PC and Amiga were on the same switch, the router shouldn't not interfere in any way, unless they are on different IP networks so they need to be routed through the router.

What is the ip, netmask and gateway of both the PC and the Amiga when they are on the same switch?
Old 11 December 2017, 06:39   #11
McTrinsic

Hi,
yes, sounds strange.

PC = 192.168.178.83
Amiga = 192.168.178.81
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Router =192.168.178.1
Old 11 December 2017, 11:12   #12
jlin_au

for Ethernet connections using a router and switch environment, try and use DHCP to set up your Amiga and PC's ip addresses as this should correctly set up all the IP routes, the DNS settings, etc. for internet access.

for pings under Windows PCs that have IPv6 support enabled (e.g. Windows 10) you may need to force an IPv4 ping of the amiga via the modified ping command:
ping -4 ......
instead of
ping .....

Tests to perform to verify tcpip connectivity:
1) check PC can access Aexplorer on Amiga by:
a) starting Aexplorer in server mode on the Amiga with an IP stack configured and running
b) open command prompt on Windows and running command
telnet 192.168.178.81 356
This will open a telnet session to your amiga (ip address 192.168.178.81) on IP service port 356 (assigned to Cloanto) which should be open and listening for connections via Aexplorer on the amiga.
Note - Windows 10 does have telnet; however, you need to have Windows 10 explicitly install the telnet feature.

The telnet session should display either connection error messages or session messages from the amiga's Aexplorer server.

A connection error messages like "connection refused" indicates that either
o the Amiga IP stack has a firewall blocking access to port 356
or
o Aexplorer on the amiga is failing to listen on port 356.

2) If possible perform the same "telnet" from the Amiga to the PC's Amiga Explorer ip port 356.
a) on the Windows PC, start amiga explorer in "server mode".
To verify that Windows has port 356 in listening mode, you can open a command prompt and execute the following command
netstat -an
and look for lines with text ":356" in "LISTENING" status
or for just the relevant entries:
netstat -an | find ":356 "
You can also run the following command under the windows command prompt as a check:
telnet 192.168.178.83 356

b) on the amiga run the amiga OS equivalent to the Windows telnet command.
telnet 192.168.178.83 356
where 192.168.178.83 is the Windows IP address.

Last edited by jlin_au; 11 December 2017 at 11:25. Reason: and IPv4 ping override details for IPv6 Windows machines
Old 11 December 2017, 18:29   #13
McTrinsic

Great, interesting thing with the telnet. Greatly appreciated!

Have to wait till Wednesday to access my miggy, though.

Will definitely try .
Old 26 December 2017, 14:38   #14
McTrinsic

Today i tried telnetting into the amiga on port 356 with AExplorer running on the Amiga.

The connection bascially works. Depending on the [random] characters I type in, every once in a while I get a response: "PrKb" or something similar.
Should that tell me something?
Old 27 December 2017, 20:24   #15
McTrinsic

Oh, and by the way - the PC side of the AExplorer is always the "client".

Anyways. I treid a clean install today to exclude software issues as far as possible.

So I used the 3.1 original ROMs, did a clean 3.1 install. Only added ENV-handler, MUI, Poseidon, Roadshow, AExplorer. And lha, lzx and DOSControl.

Doesnt work. On the PC, I see a window that opens with allthe Amiga drives in it. Any access doesnt work and will sooner or later result in an error message such as "TCP/IP timeout" or "there has been a conflict accessing the Amiga ressources."

Patrik, which Ethernet-solution do you use?
Old 27 December 2017, 20:40   #16
patrik

On the A1200, I used cnet16.device (part of cnet.device package) with a Netgear FA411 PCMCIA network card. The FA411 is connected to a switch port of an AirPort Extreme, which in turn is connected to a HP 1810-8G switch to which the Windows XP PC is connected.

I don't think the specific hardware combination has much to do with it, except for working properly.

To verify this claim, I tested Amiga Explorer on my A2000. The A2000 has a GVP 030 card, kickstart/WB 3.1, Roadshow 1.13 and an A2065 network card. The A2065 is connected to the same HP 1810-8G switch as the Windows XP PC via an ethernet 10BASE-T (RJ45) transceiver.

(edit):
This is not relevant to the discussion, but Amiga Explorer is insanely slow. Copied a 10MB file to the A2000 just now to verify that it doesn't have any intermittent issues. Copying that 10MB file took 3m 18s which equals 51.7kB/sec. As a comparison, the same excercise doing the copy from the Amiga side using SMBFS took 20s, which equals 512kB/sec - quite exactly ten times faster!

(edit2):
This is relevant to the discussion. Have you verified that TCP/IP communication is working well enough to be able to transfer larger amounts of data between the Amiga and the PC with for example some TCP benchmarking software like ttcp?

Amiga version of ttcp
Windows version of ttcp
Sourcecode for ttcp

Quick guide to using ttcp:

To test the speed when sending tcp-packets from your Amiga to your PC:
1. PC: "ttcp -s -r"
2. Amiga: "ttcp -s -t pc_ip_or_hostname"

To test the speed when sending tcp-packets from your PC to your Amiga:
1. Amiga: "ttcp -s -r"
2. PC: "ttcp -s -t amiga_ip_or_hostname"

Ttcp per default transfers 16MB of data.

Last edited by patrik; 27 December 2017 at 21:09.
Old 27 December 2017, 22:33   #17
McTrinsic

Thanks for your support!
I'll see if I can test tomorrow.