English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 October 2019, 20:22   #1
FlipLeFrog

WinUAE 4.2.1 several Issues...

Hi there,

I bought AmigaOS4.1FE and AmigaForever with all needed ROMS.
First, I had serveral problems booting into PPC. Got puerple and green screens, that not moved, or they resulted in reboot.

The Checkbox for PPC Emulation were enabled, but clicking on it, made it disable until i changed emulated CPU. That must be a bug! Could not uncheck.

Shwitching between Options and restarting, makes UAE instable! After a while, i could not save the config anymore. When typing a configname and pressing SAVE, the configname disappears. Not possible to save the config.

After deleting all CACHE and config files from Config, and copy back a backup, i managed to start up the bootdisk of AmigaOS4.1. Booting took about 1 hour! With about 8mb Chip and 16MB Fastram.

When finnishing preparing the Harddisk(file) under AOS4.1 the System told me to reboot. After that, WINUAE sees the unformatted harddisk, and wont boot from the AOS4.1 BootDisk after PPC is started up.

PPC is taken 100% CPU time, but is not grabbing the CD of AOS4.1. Tried the CD as an ISO-Image and the real CD-Drive. The Boot disk-Image works fine! When rebooting

I made some failures, how to use WINUAE. But after beeing able to boot from the AOS4.1-bootdisk, and managed to partition a harddrive (File) under AOS4.1, i dont understand why it wouldnt start up again, because of seeing the unformatted harddrive!?

Watched alot of Youtube vids about it. But they all belong to an older version of WINUAE. Looks very easy, but it isnt!

WHY is the PPC emulation stucked, not booting from disk, when the harddrive(file) is prepped!?

My Laptop:
Core2Duo@1,8GHz 32Bit, 3Gig of RAM
Old 13 October 2019, 20:52   #2
Saghalie

I see two issues here:

1. No config files
2. No log files

Please provide those so we can possibly assist you.

I have OS4.1FE running fine with WinUAE 4.2.1 on several different
configurations so am confused as to why yours doesn't and would
be very interested in seeing your config and maybe Toni would be
interested in seeing your log files.
Old 14 October 2019, 01:42   #3
FlipLeFrog

Hi,

yes, sorry - I`ve not added logfile, nor config files, because i tried alot of things back and fourth.
The log didnt show things like the PPC checkbox behavior nor why it diidnt boot when starting PPC mode.
Normal booting with Kickstart Rom is no problem, works fine. Tried even a tutorial config, found on the web.
I'll add my actual config, that were able to boot before harddisk-file preparation later on today..
Thank you, for reading...
Old 14 October 2019, 18:27   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

First, you need more powerful hardware to have usable PPC emulation. Also old laptops probably CPU throttle when both cores are used heavily and memory bandwidth isn't good enough. Emulation also really needs big caches and fast memory.

- Make sure your HDF is full disk/RDB mode. Partition harddrives won't work.
- You MUST use real world matching config. Do not add anything (at least when installing) that is not possible in real world.
- To boot from the CD: set CSPPC boot menu for CD booting, exactly like with real hardware. Do not use any other method.

Most importantly: OS4 does not like weird configs.
Old 15 October 2019, 12:50   #5
Tomislav

Do not change some settings while emulation is running. Many settings won't be changed/saved in that case. When you press F12 emulation is just stopped/paused. Think like on real Amiga that you can't change hardware while Amiga is running.

You need to close and open WinUAE OR press "Restart" button (which appears while running Amiga emulation near "Reset" and "Quit" buttons down left), then you can edit and save configuration for some settings.
Old 15 October 2019, 13:23   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Restart button can leak memory/resources in some special situations (PPC is a special situation) but it is difficult to debug without being able to duplicate it.
Old 16 October 2019, 21:12   #7
FlipLeFrog

Yes! Thank you all.. I figured out, that pressing F12 and changing in the config can lead to weird circumstances!

But one Bug still remains in WinUAE: When PPC checkbox is checked, you can't uncheck! Instead the checkbox is going to be disabled!
Thinking, there is a Checkbox.enabled = false instead of a Checkbox.checked=false!
If you change the CPU type (From 68040 vcvs 68060) it gets enabled, but you cant uncheck the ppc Checkbox! It only disables (Checkbox.Enable= False)

I bought Cloanto Amiga Forever, and cant get AmigaOS4.1FE working there too. Get the Message UAE has to use the new 128kB ROM. So Cloanto is based on WinUAE too!
Old 16 October 2019, 21:35   #8
FlipLeFrog

Expiriencing with multiple Setting in WinUAE. And in the best case WinUAE freezes, after starting up in PPC mode. I managed only once to boot into OS4.1FE, it took about one hour. Then i configured a harddrive, formatted two partitions (DH0 and swap) and have been requested to reboot the system.
Since then, it never came up again, even with the same config.

What i got:
You need 8mb Chipram.
Picasso IV is not neccessary, but you wont see the Amiga 4.1 Logo then.
Yes, my Laptop is to slow for realtime PPC (100% CPU used all the time)
Reboots of PPC are not stable. Sometimes they work, sometimes they freeze. But if they work, it hangs right after. (Seeing pink or green screen, and nothing happens)
I got it work only once, could prepare the harddisk-Image and after, reboot it freezes.

AmigaForever works superduper, but not in this case! (Since it obviously is based on WinUAE)

I throwed some money to get it work, and i've always been an AmigaGuy! But i am getting rid of ideas...
Old 17 October 2019, 16:23   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Repeat answer: 8M chip ram does not exist in real world. Do not use impossible configs with OS4, it won't work and will cause problems. You probably have some other invalid settings too. Pink screen is common side-effect.

EDIT: Use A4000 CSPPC. BlizzardPPC PPC CPU model runs much slower.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 17 October 2019 at 16:38.
Old 26 October 2019, 16:26   #10
FlipLeFrog

Yes, you're right!
I spend alot of hours with different setups to get the installation working. Tried everything. Finally I found, that a Harddrive-Directory does not work! It has to be a HarddriveFile!

Serveral hours later, I managed to boot into PPC mode. Booting took about 45minutes! BUT, then it stopped with 'Not a DOS disk in DH0'. -> ARGh! Of coz not!

Then i found a step-by-step on Toms Harware site. Amazing simple, and it boots within seconds from Disc! Dunno what the difference is. But it seems to work!

https://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-onlin...uae/index.html