Old 08 February 2017, 06:59   #201
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

A bit of backstage
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 April 2017, 22:56   #202
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Did not work on this lately but is my intention to continue! The finetune of City of the Knight also involve some time stretching: to test i play both the recording and the mod at the same time and keep track of where they miss overlapping.
Old 07 May 2017, 02:57   #203
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Need to find the courage to finish City of the Knight but in the meanwhile i finalized Combat 3 and continued two of the main songs.
Old 10 May 2017, 20:57   #204
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Due to feedback i did improve the drum sampled bases and layouts for Combat 1 and combat 3 plus i started the two missing non-cd towns.
Old 18 July 2017, 18:54   #205
meynaf
son of 68k

Ok ok i'll interrupt saimon69's monologue for a while to announce a new release !
It was about time

Same link as before (see first post).

This version fixes a few issues (check history for details) but is mostly optimizations, concentrated on the path finder - which is now roughly twice as fast. As a side effect this makes enemy moves faster as well (computer AI does lots of it). I just hope i broke nothing, this thing is fragile as a soap bubble...

Note : if you're running under winuae and pal mode you can activate option "remove interlace artifacts" under "display" tab. I've just noticed it does wonders here.
Old 19 July 2017, 00:24   #206
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

not my fault if i took pride in working on the musics - had to put on hold due to real life and other projects but am trying to continue
Old 19 July 2017, 09:11   #207
meynaf
son of 68k

That's ok, no problem - i did put a smiley
Old 21 July 2017, 20:56   #208
tom256

Thank you for new release. I will check this weekend
Old 23 July 2017, 15:22   #209
grelbfarlk

I had a try converting the XMI files to MIDI and they sound quite good on the Amiga using AMIDI (with the HQ sound bank). Now can you add AMIDI support, I haven't talked to him but I think Novacoder preapproves of the CAMD support.

Attachment 53854

Tracks 0009 and 0010 have a hanging note on Amidi, so they sound terrible.

Here's what track 8 sounds like on the Amiga, sorry for WAV format but LAME butchered it as an MP3.

http://www.filedropper.com/homm0008

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 22 June 2018 at 03:22.
Old 24 July 2017, 08:04   #210
meynaf
son of 68k

Converting to general midi isn't a big deal - I did it many years ago. However it might be better to have reusable source code to perform this conversion on the fly (or, better, play xmi directly).
And they rarely play fine, even on peecees.

Best results i got was either with OPL synth (for which the musics appear to be designed) or with Timidity.
Too bad some tracks sound poor with Amidi, i will seriously consider that support if this problem gets fixed.
Old 31 July 2017, 01:35   #211
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Converting to general midi isn't a big deal - I did it many years ago. However it might be better to have reusable source code to perform this conversion on the fly (or, better, play xmi directly).
And they rarely play fine, even on peecees.

Best results i got was either with OPL synth (for which the musics appear to be designed) or with Timidity.
Too bad some tracks sound poor with Amidi, i will seriously consider that support if this problem gets fixed.
Well the Exult port has code for playing XMIs, I think at least from what little googling I did on it, so maybe you could lift that, Amidi was more or less written for Exult.
Old 31 July 2017, 08:53   #212
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Well the Exult port has code for playing XMIs, I think at least from what little googling I did on it, so maybe you could lift that, Amidi was more or less written for Exult.
Ok but it doesn't solve the problem of tracks that don't replay properly.
Old 01 August 2017, 03:20   #213
grelbfarlk

I converted them down to type 0 midi and now they play fine with CAMD(over serial to a PC with Softsynth), just not fine with the software renderer. I'm not sure what's going on I'm just guessing AHI is not able to cope with the amount of channels. So if you were at all interested in doing Amidi support you'd have the option of CAMD with real midi devices, AMidi software renderer, or possibly GMPlay with 14-bit Paula playback which I haven't tested.

I'll try to find an Amiga Midi player with AHI support to rule out whether it's a general AHI issue choking on the amount of channels/bandwidth.
Old 01 August 2017, 08:54   #214
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I converted them down to type 0 midi and now they play fine with CAMD(over serial to a PC with Softsynth), just not fine with the software renderer. I'm not sure what's going on I'm just guessing AHI is not able to cope with the amount of channels.
One sure thing is that i will NOT use AHI.

Quote:
So if you were at all interested in doing Amidi support you'd have the option of CAMD with real midi devices, AMidi software renderer, or possibly GMPlay with 14-bit Paula playback which I haven't tested.
I tried GMPlay already and it's not good enough. As I said earlier, only Timidity and OPL synth (thru Dosbox) seem to be able to play them fine.

In addition, remember that the game has sound fx as well so i need to be "in control" for proper replay. If there is no source code available for Amidi, then no Amidi support.

Quote:
I'll try to find an Amiga Midi player with AHI support to rule out whether it's a general AHI issue choking on the amount of channels/bandwidth.
If it were AHI too slow, you'd hear holes in the playback -- not a held note.
Old 02 August 2017, 03:30   #215
grelbfarlk

They do play fine with the CAMD.library, people have the option of redirecting the CAMD output to whatever they like whether that's a real midi synth or otherwise.

I didn't consider that the Amidi source is lost, I can't seem to find it. CAMD has source though.
Old 28 March 2018, 01:11   #216
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Heroes of Might and Magic 2? On Amiga?? Just wondering if this will be released?
Old 28 March 2018, 09:08   #217
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
Heroes of Might and Magic 2? On Amiga?? Just wondering if this will be released?
It will be released something like three years ago?

You can grap it from Meynaf's home page and direct download link is in first post.
Old 28 March 2018, 12:06   #218
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

A download link is available in the first post in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=616277&postcount=1
Old 21 September 2018, 11:42   #219
Raybeez

Amiga HoMM2 RTG port

Your HoMM2 port is making a sensation at the Polish PPA forum.
Several people have expressed interest in the port operating on the graphics card.
I have A2k with 060 myself and a graphics card (CV64/3D) and I would like to play the Homm2 port on this Amiga.
Is it possible to add graphic card support in your port?
Old 21 September 2018, 14:54   #220
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybeez View Post
Is it possible to add graphic card support in your port?
This is in theory possible, but I have no knowledge about these. The game has mainly been made for A1200/030 with just AGA.

Last version has had some code cleanup in this area (c2p in include file rather than being buried deep in the game itself) so now it's just a matter of how to use these graphics cards.
If someone can give me simple code for handling some (often partial) copy of 640x480x8 chunky frame buffer to the video mem, then i might do this.
Also i need to setup this under Winuae so i can test if the code works.