English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2013, 16:57   #21
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
Putty Squad..... the most pirated amiga game of 2014

to be honest, how many amiga users would pay for this game, i mean to be worthwhile for the devs to pocket?

It should be released as a gesture of goodwill, not

oh look, heres some manky unfinished Adfs of a long lost amiga game, shall we bin it? no
shall we give it to the amiga community and let it spread the word and set the internet alight so it creates interest so ps3, pc, nintedo sales get a boost?

no, sod em. thier desperate so lets capitalise on them and sell it for money
I had contact to System 3 (and other companies) a couple of times and tried to create interest for the platform again and am positive surprised that it seems there is some.

"Putty Squad..... the most pirated amiga game of 2014 "

if i read this (even when meant funny) I get a little upset because it counteracts all my own efforts. All companies are not there for making people happy but the main motivation is making money. If that is not possible because "Amigians" have reserved their old attitude "why pay for something you get for free" there will be no reason for anyone to support the platform. Then we stay where we are now, some opensource ports and homebrew software on a pure retro platform. I would like it to become more, and you?
Old 18 May 2013, 18:22   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Doesn't actually make sense here though as they sit on that version for ages. They didn't offer the version because they thought they wouldn't make enough money back then, so it makes no sense to charge for it now if you think abou it. But hey, if they want to squeeze some extra bucks from their title instead of canning it like the Babylonian Twins authors did, I'm all for it!
Old 18 May 2013, 20:27   #23
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
If they would start kickstarter campaign lets say for 1000 GBP and after it is funded, they would release Putty Squad to public, I would contribute. But I just dont believe Mark Cale anymore, I doubt he really has the complete Amiga game.
Old 19 May 2013, 05:42   #24
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If you want your say they are responding to comments on their official Youtube channel.

[ Show youtube player ]

Might be a good opportunity to actually be heard and put a case forward for an Amiga release.
this trailer is fantastic,sincerely one of the best game trailers I have seen
seems this time they done lot of effort on this game,Im sure they will release it for such platforms...I hope they release the amiga version as well
Old 03 October 2013, 21:47   #25
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
Amiga Power: 91%
CU Amiga: 94%

"THE BEST GAME NEVER RELEASED FOR THE AMIGA"
And probably the worst game thats going to be released on PS4.
Old 03 October 2013, 22:27   #26
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
If they would start kickstarter campaign lets say for 1000 GBP and after it is funded, they would release Putty Squad to public, I would contribute. But I just dont believe Mark Cale anymore, I doubt he really has the complete Amiga game.
Indeed. They should do that.

I'm pretty sure they will have enough backers to publish the Amiga version in big boxed version. I hope they'll do it and I'll pay easily 30 euros or more for the game, depending of the package.

What's up with the Amiga anyway ? With Shadow of the Beast 4 and now Putty Squad, it seems that the platform is gaining (little) audience in the next gen market.
Old 03 October 2013, 23:10   #27
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
He doesn't. back in the day, and when R. Joseph was still alive, he told me that he went to the court to face M. Cale. This one was saying that RJ was delaying the game because the musics "were not ready".

Just a little info, little known, which has no vocation to be implemented on the putty squad HOL page.

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 04 October 2013 at 22:38.
Old 04 October 2013, 14:27   #28
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

I have doubts as to whether Putty Squad HD is going to end up being released...if you see the history of it it was originally made for PSP, then it was going to be released in 2012 with the launch of the PS Vita, and now the website has been saying 'Summer 2013' for ages...the last news was from May 2013. I think this version, like the original Amiga version, won't see the light of day.
Old 04 October 2013, 16:38   #29
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty90seven View Post
I have doubts as to whether Putty Squad HD is going to end up being released...if you see the history of it it was originally made for PSP, then it was going to be released in 2012 with the launch of the PS Vita, and now the website has been saying 'Summer 2013' for ages...the last news was from May 2013. I think this version, like the original Amiga version, won't see the light of day.
You're not the only one who thinks that. I've been following the progress of Putty Squad's maybe-or-maybe-not existence for almost 20 years now. Let's recap:

* We had promises of the Amiga original coming out in between 1994-98. Alive Mediasoft in the meantime more or less trolled people into believing they had the finished game and throwing money in their direction as a result. The company then mysteriously vanished from the face of the earth.

* Mega Drive owners were promised a port too, as were PC owners. For whatever reason, the SNES port did not fall victim to vaporware and was put to retail as promised. How and why, I doth not know.

* Thalamus did a quick Game Boy Color port in the late 90's to impress System 3 with, but sure enough it didn't get off the ground.

* Around the early 00's, System 3's budget label Play-It were teasing fancy new PS2 ports of Constructor, Mob Rule and - you guessed it - Putty Squad. They were listed on Amazon for an ice age. The proposed release dates kept slipping back. And then eventually they ceased to exist. As you can imagine, precisely zero screenshots were released to prove they were being worked on.

* As has been said, the Putty Squad concept then resurfaced in early 2010 with promises of an iOS port and a PSP port. And then PS3. And then PSP was scrapped in favour of Vita. And then they ditched iOS for... god knows whatever reason. And then just to save face and make it look like they were still doing actual work on it, they announce it for just about every freaking current platform ever - including Windows 8. (Yes, specifically 8, not Windows in general).

And yet with System 3 now attempting to revive Robocod yet again, it's like the ultimate example of epic procrastination in a development project. If it's not there already, Putty Squad is well on its way to becoming the retro world's answer to Duke Nukem Forever. And for it to turn into a running joke would surely be tragic.

(I'm still of the opinion that the SNES version getting out at all was nothing but a fluke. Seriously, it's like someone in the SNES port department at one opportune moment thought "fuck it, this is coming out as is, like it or not" and was the only one with balls to go ahead with it.)

Last edited by MethodGit; 04 October 2013 at 22:12.
Old 04 October 2013, 21:50   #30
Ian
Global Moderator

System 3 have nothing to do with the robocod remake/kick start project as far as I recall

Edit my mistake they are two distinct James pond games in the offing. One on kick start as we speak and one by system 3
Old 05 October 2013, 10:53   #31
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Know its fare fetched but how much is missing from the Demo engine - I guess the level colud be edited into another level but could the demo be turned into the full game.
Old 05 October 2013, 14:06   #32
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Know its fare fetched but how much is missing from the Demo engine - I guess the level colud be edited into another level but could the demo be turned into the full game.
LEt's suppose someone is hardcore enough and has enough time to kind of reverse engineer what's going on, take the SNES version as a basis and do the whole game. Let's fantasize about this for a second.

Even if such a thing happened, System 3 would sue the ass of this person right away. Obviously they are trying to capitalize on this IP as much as they can, and any and all fan efforts would definitely will be met with a strong legal retaliation from System 3.

Pisses me off that they say it was actually released for Amiga. They are just trying to cash in on the good faith of Amiga people around the planet. Much like what happened with Babylonian Twins.

PS: This game really sucks. All hype around it has more to do with the fact that it remains unearthed and the whole release controversy rather than the game itself. And it looks helluva dated on WiiU. The best thing that can happen is for system 3 to fail terribly with this, none of us should support it, as payback for how the developers and system 3 have treated the community. May it be the most pirated game of 2014 :P

Last edited by Amiga1992; 10 October 2013 at 17:29.
Old 10 October 2013, 16:07   #33
Amigajay

Latest Issue of Retro Gamer has spoken to Mark and he's confirmed those who pre order (not confirmed which version/s) will get the Amiga version on 3.5" disk! It's been sent to be manufactured and he's waiting to get them back. Also probably won't get a box and or manual but again not confirmed just my thoughts, but good news anyway.
Old 10 October 2013, 17:30   #34
Amiga1992

Sounds like a load of lies again, but if it is true, then we'll finally have the frigging game and can put its final nail in the coffin and let it rot.

What a cheap trick to get the purchases in!
Looking forward to see who's the first posting the game online.
Old 10 October 2013, 17:34   #35
sokolovic

Akira, you seems to be a little depressed aren't you ?
Old 10 October 2013, 17:38   #36
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Time for a bit of a history lesson for sokolovic: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=11820
Afterwards you might understand Akira's sentiment
Old 10 October 2013, 19:56   #37
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I agree with Akira too! Until someone has the disks (aren't there 3?) in their hot little hands, I won't believe a word out of Mark Cale's mouth. History is littered with Amiga people the guy has ripped off. Even I gave up on seeing the game years ago and changed my avatar!
Old 10 October 2013, 23:25   #38
funK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Latest Issue of Retro Gamer has spoken to Mark and he's confirmed those who pre order (not confirmed which version/s) will get the Amiga version on 3.5" disk! It's been sent to be manufactured and he's waiting to get them back. Also probably won't get a box and or manual but again not confirmed just my thoughts, but good news anyway.
WAT
On a side note, its release has been pushed back again, now it's seemingly coming out 29th November, and it also became a PS4 launch title in the process.
Old 10 October 2013, 23:29   #39
musojon74

Sorry, I have absolutely no belief that this game will turn up for preorder. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it...
Old 11 October 2013, 00:13   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
PUTTY SQUAD AND PINBALL ARCADE- SYSTEM 3 DELIVERS 10% OF THE PLAYSTATION 4 LAUNCH LINE UP
Awesome! I need to get the PS4 if there are only 20 games on launch and 2 of them are made by System 3! Oh wait...