English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 March 2019, 12:15   #21
Auscoder

Check this out, its probably the same situation given what you have said. Definitely fight it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 March 2019, 12:51   #22
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Depends on how you look at it. In video form demos are not distributed in it's original form (which usually is a binary executable or disk image) anymore, so a video could be seen as derivative work, which is not allowed without permission of the author. This is actually quite problematic for demos in a legal sense, as most demos don't state how you're allowed to distribute or use them.
OMG. What about using common sense instead. Todays correctness is way over the top and our (western) type of civilization deserves to end like Greek or Roman Empires...
Old 28 March 2019, 12:55   #23
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
OMG. What about using common sense instead.
Are you saying everything should be treated as public domain, because you don't care about copyrights, or?
Old 28 March 2019, 13:23   #24
chip

Sorry guys but at this time i must do a question

What about the collections of demos which are around like "Break's" or "Amiga Mega" ?

Should they be considered illegal in some way ?

I'm personally interested since i'm building my own collection of Amiga Demoscene Archive and i'm releasing it to the public

Just to be direct, am i allowed to upload it or not ?

I will remove it if it's the case
Old 28 March 2019, 13:30   #25
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Just to be direct, am i allowed to upload it or not ?
From a strictly legal point of view, there's no clear answer. But in reality, nobody cares unless you try to profit off of it
Old 28 March 2019, 13:33   #26
chip

Good to know britelite, thanks for answer

No, i surely don't do money thanks to the collection
Old 28 March 2019, 14:56   #27
pandy71

Issue is that Crowley Media business activity area is different than: content management and/or representing owners rights - this is company registered in Poland with U.S. owner perhaps (unclear).
http://www.krs-online.com.pl/crowley...rs-788488.html
Seem Polish citizens are affected by this company claims too.
It is completely unclear from all this information how the heck this company claiming rights to Amiga Demos.
From my perspective this company look like similar to patent troll lawsuits.
I would challenge their claims in legal dispute - YT/Google should ask them for proof to raise such claims.

Seem http://www.infoveriti.pl/osoba-krs/R...af29a56a0.html act as CEO and this guy is 68 year old... unless they prove legal claims i would call them scammers.

Last edited by pandy71; 28 March 2019 at 15:01.
Old 28 March 2019, 15:46   #28
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I've had tonnes of copyright claims, sometimes 10 for the same video. I'll tweak it, re-upload and pray the Powers that Be allow it. I wouldn't worry about being banned from YouTube altogether unless you're doing something really stupid and brazen that definitely isn't fair use.

Anyway, more importantly, every time YouTube has a problem with a video they narrow it down to an exact time frame e.g. 33.05 - 33.37 so you can see precisely what they're rejecting. How come they haven't told you this? If you look in your creator studio panel you should be able to find out.

With Amiga demos you can almost guarantee it's because the author sampled a copyright protected track and you're playing too much of it to pass the fair use allowance. I'd be amazed if it has anything to do with the demo presentation itself.

If there's a track you suspect might be the culprit you can check here...

https://www.youtube.com/music_policies

...to confirm its copyright status.

I don't think I'd bother contesting anything unless you know for a fact you created the video and the audio yourself, so they have no leg to stand on. Otherwise just adapt your work, try again and move on. Fair use is decided by the copyright holder in each case so our opinion doesn't count for anything.

Just noticed that the Hardwired demo samples Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells (you know, the Exorcist theme) and we don't have permission to use it on YouTube.

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 28 March 2019 at 15:57.
Old 28 March 2019, 17:44   #29
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Just noticed that the Hardwired demo samples Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells (you know, the Exorcist theme) and we don't have permission to use it on YouTube.
Jesus on E's by LSD uses Tubular Bells as well (or something that sounds just like it) and that hasn't stopped this video and others like it:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 March 2019, 19:04   #30
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Ah yes, that's definitely the same instrumental, and it's very close to the original so you'd expect that to be blocked too if my theory was right. Dunno then, just clutching at straws.
Old 28 March 2019, 19:37   #31
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Anyway, more importantly, every time YouTube has a problem with a video they narrow it down to an exact time frame e.g. 33.05 - 33.37 so you can see precisely what they're rejecting. How come they haven't told you this? If you look in your creator studio panel you should be able to find out.

Quite interested to see what they are on about too..

We also have this to contend with

[ Show youtube player ]

Is the internet just going to become nothing more useful than information gathering on everyone with that sold to every advertising corp going?
Old 30 March 2019, 12:47   #32
pandy71

Based on latest EU law called in PL 'ACTA2' you have rights to use other people work as quotation/citation and also technically they can't block Amiga Demos as this is ART (autonomous visual\musical creation) so due of those two factors it is illegal to block such content.
btw there is info about technology https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797370?hl=en used by Google (and probably also others) to detect presence of copyrighted work.
Old 30 March 2019, 14:05   #33
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Song
Diablo
Artist
Simon Curtis
Licensed to YouTube by
Audiam (Label); BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., and 12 Music Rights Societies

This is a familiar song which claims ownership of a popular c64 soundtrack.
Old 30 March 2019, 14:20   #34
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Blimey this tread has gained some traction. Almost everybody now that uploads vids to YouTube will eventually be met with the YouTube copyright slap, the main problem is that the algorithm doesn't understand "Context".
Old 30 March 2019, 14:35   #35
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Tbh, YouTube became a mess of epic proportions after Googles "hostile" takeover.
The frustration of having all Google's shite linked together was the final straw for me, that's also why I decided to close my account.
These days I use streamable.com if I need to upload a video, no need to register or other hassles.