English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 September 2002, 22:46   #1
Skumball

Do I need 'Amiga In A Box' ?

Hello all. Here is my first post. I used to own an A1200 back in the good ol' days when the Amiga was the best thing on the planet (some people say it still is ).

I have downloaded WinUAE 0.8.21 r4 and it's great. Every game file I have tried works damn near perfect. So then I hear about AIAB. What I am wondering is whether it will improve the emulation any further? Is it just a makeover so Workbench resembles Windows, or does it add real functionality to the whole emulation?

Basically what I'm asking is, will it make a WinUAE user even happier than I already am?
Old 08 September 2002, 22:49   #2
RCK
Administrator

where is Bloodwych ? ;)

I won't speak about Amiga In A Box, but you can already try the ClassicWB if you need one advanced user interface on Amiga
http://download.abime.net/
Old 08 September 2002, 22:54   #3
Jim

Re: Do I need 'Amiga In A Box' ?

If you used to own a Amiga it's probably better (and more fun) building up your ideal Workbench yourself.

You'll certainly pick up long-forgotten tricks and see the advancement that has happened since you left the scene.

But why not try AIAB ? The best thing about having a virtual Amiga is that you can have 100's of virtual Amigas You can delete it in about 10 seconds and try something else, run the both or whatever.

The world is your oyster, go and explore aminet.org and search the boards here/ask questions for tips.

Have fun !

Old 08 September 2002, 23:03   #4
Drake1009

I don't like oysters, but then I don't get out much either so that's probably why I don't have the world.

At any rate, I still haven't tried AIAB or the other pre-setup workbench enhancements around. I prefer to emulate my Amigas I have physically, that way I can see what I can do with my Amigas as they are, maybe see how they'd perform with a bit more ram, and if I found a good thing to do I could actually realize it on my Amiga. Emulation for screenshot and test purposes. The real thing for the real thing.
Old 08 September 2002, 23:11   #5
Djay
95th User

AIAB is okay... but you might not reconize it as an Amiga...

I would go with Jim... starting from scratch helps you to understand whats going on, and you can choose the stuff you want...

I've heard good reports on Bloodwych's Classic WB, will save you a lot of time and hassle...

however.... i would try all three, its not like you have buy anything.
Old 08 September 2002, 23:16   #6
Amiga1992

I like doing my own thing as well... I was going to install some sort of cut-down AIAB in my A1200, but I deisted and created my own setup from scratch. It was lots of fun and I learned a lot about all that I've missed during these last 6 or so years.
Old 09 September 2002, 11:19   #7
Bloodwych

To answer you question directly, yes it's definitely worth installing a Workbench on WinUAE so you can enjoy harddrive games and classic applications (like Delux Paint).

Harddrive games not only come in the form of those that have normal installers like Monkey Island, Civilization etc. but can be found now for almost ANY game using Jst and WHDload. Have a read around the net to learn about these applications.

As for what to install, if you are patient and dedicated Amiga enthusiast then hit the road of building a Workbench yourself. As someone above has already mentioned, you can install multiple workbench setups (like AIAB, ClassicWB) in order to help you learn what can be done with the right downloads off Aminet - this will save you loads of time. It's a long road of discovery but fun.

If you just want to enjoy using the Amiga then grab a pre-installed workbench.
Old 09 September 2002, 15:27   #8
Skumball

Thanks everyone. Despite what my parents told me, I think I'll start experimenting
Old 09 September 2002, 15:45   #9
Drake1009

Despite?? I thought the best way of learning was to experiment and learn what you can through that. Always worked for me, learning by example you made for yourself.
Old 09 September 2002, 17:21   #10
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
My opinion is this:

Setting up your own HD using WinUae is much better than using AIAB (Amiga in a BOX).

However you can have problems doing this and it can take some tweaking to get it right (such as Screen fixes, icons etc)

So I would say AIAB IS worth installing Especially if you are a beginner
Old 09 September 2002, 21:19   #11
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

install AIAB now!

it gets you up and running with a nice looking interface with no fuss & no bother.

Once you've got the bits you need then you can start tweaking. But AIAB's pretty good staright from the off; let's be honest, there's no point re-inventing the wheel every time you need one, is there?

If you like a blank sheet, then go for it. But with AIAB you can be using your Amiga a lot quicker....
Old 09 September 2002, 21:27   #12
oldpx

Install AIAB to a seperate directory on your hd, make winuae recognize this dir as your main hd, and use the supplied AIAB configs, meanwhile try to learn things that happen behind that and install os 3.1 from scratch, use a different config and a directory. I hope you'll like your own system more than AIAB, well I do mine

Old 09 September 2002, 21:36   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
If you like a blank sheet, then go for it. But with AIAB you can be using your Amiga a lot quicker....
Amiga In A Box does allow a dirty, quick WB, but it's not configured to anyones tastes other than that of the creator!

Use AIAB for the time being, but create another partition and alongside AIAB create your own WB which you will feel proud to show the world..

Unless you cant be arsed, then just install AIAB or any other replacement WB!
Old 09 September 2002, 23:53   #14
Skumball

To be honest I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to emulating the Amiga, so I don't really understand what you all mean by creating my own Workbench. Do I need programming knowledge to be able to do this or is it a lot simpler than that?
Old 10 September 2002, 00:04   #15
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Skumball
To be honest I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to emulating the Amiga, so I don't really understand what you all mean by creating my own Workbench. Do I need programming knowledge to be able to do this or is it a lot simpler than that?
This could have turned into a long reply but I don't have the time ATM.

Simple solution:

Download Amiga In A Box.

Right, you're now running Amiga In A Box.

Wanna change the icons/colours/fonts, install some more stuff ?

As soon as you've done any of this you have in essence "Created your own Workbench". Heavily based on AIAB of course !

Now the real question is where do you start, with a blank virtual Hard Disk, or with AIAB. For you at the moment I recommened AIAB or any other "pre-made" Workbench.

Once you get the hang of things you might realise you don't like certain bits, or want something else. Or just for the hell of it wanna do it from scratch.

AIAB is basically the equivalent of me saving my entire Windows XP setup and you installing it on your PC. Everything I have on Windows XP is now on your PC. All the programs I use, all the nifty utilites I have installed etc...

Plain vanilla Workbench is a bit poor (esp. visually) by todays standards - AIAB is just this guys idea of the "Perfect Workbench".

But no 2 people are alike !

Old 10 September 2002, 00:12   #16
Skumball

Thanks Jim.
Old 10 September 2002, 19:03   #17
cv643d

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym

Amiga In A Box does allow a dirty, quick WB, but it's not configured to anyones tastes other than that of the creator!
That is true for OS3.5/3.9 too.
Old 15 September 2002, 21:26   #18
Jim

Do I need 'Amiga In A Box' ?

No - you need it in a tower, like me!

Old 01 October 2002, 23:24   #19
Tonton1

What happened to the AIAB site anyway ? It hasn't been updated for months.

Old 01 October 2002, 23:33   #20
oldpx

Afaik, the creator of aiab is James at http://amiga.nvg.org/uae/
(People still post there???? :eek :eek :eek)